SOLVED

Lookup Columns

Copper Contributor

Good Day 

I have multiple lists that looks up 3 columns from a list with unique permissions. 

Some viewers that doesn't have access to this list with unique permissions (Finance list) are not able to see the three lookup columns (SCC name, SAP number & Registered Name). 

How can I fix this without giving them permission to the finance sheet? 
I can't really change the column type either as it is linked to Power BI and will break the reports one again. 

Any helpful advice will be appreciated. 

5 Replies
best response confirmed by WrightDo (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Solution is to create a new list that contains only the information from the Finance list that needs to be displayed in the lookup columns. This new list can have its own unique permissions, allowing viewers to see the information in the lookup columns without giving them access to the entire Finance list. Another solution is to use a workflow or a Flow in Power Automate to copy the information from the Finance list to another list with different permissions. This way, viewers can see the information in the lookup columns without having access to the Finance list.

Solution 1: Create a new list
This is a relatively straightforward solution that can be implemented quickly. The user would need to create a new list that contains only the information from the Finance list that needs to be displayed in the lookup columns. This new list can then be given different permissions, allowing viewers to see the information in the lookup columns without giving them access to the entire Finance list.
To create a new list, the user would follow these steps:
1. Go to the SharePoint site where the Finance list is located.
2. Click on the "Lists" tab.
3. Click on the "New List" button.
4. Give the new list a name and description.
5. Select the "Lookup column" option for the columns that need to be displayed in the new list.
6. Select the Finance list as the source list for the lookup columns.
7. Click on the "Create" button.
Once the new list is created, the user can give it different permissions. To do this, the user would follow these steps:
1. Go to the "Permissions" tab for the new list.
2. Click on the "Add" button.
3. Select the users or groups that you want to give permissions to.
4. Select the permissions that you want to give to the users or groups.
5. Click on the "Save" button.
Solution 2: Use a workflow or Flow in Power Automate
This solution is a bit more complex than the first solution, but it can be more flexible. With this solution, the user would use a workflow or Flow in Power Automate to copy the information from the Finance list to another list with different permissions. This way, viewers can see the information in the lookup columns without having access to the Finance list.
To create a workflow or Flow in Power Automate, the user would follow these steps:
1. Go to the Power Automate website.
2. Click on the "Create" button.
3. Select the "Automate a workflow" option.
4. Select the "Trigger when an item is created or modified" option.
5. Select the Finance list as the list that you want to trigger the workflow or Flow on.
6. Click on the "Create" button.
Once the workflow or Flow is created, the user would need to add a step to copy the information from the Finance list to another list. To do this, the user would follow these steps:
1. Click on the "Add an action" button.
2. Search for the "Copy item" action.
3. Select the "Copy item" action.
4. Select the Finance list as the source list.
5. Select the new list as the destination list.
6. Click on the "Save" button.
Once the workflow or Flow is saved, it will start running automatically whenever a new item is created or modified in the Finance list. This will copy the information from the Finance list to the new list, allowing viewers to see the information in the lookup columns without having access to the Finance list.

@H2O 

WrightDo_0-1689161724428.png

Really hoping this is what I was supposed to do. 
I have never worked with Power Apps in the past. 
Your instructions helped a lot! It differed here and there, but helped a lot, thank you!
Will keep you posted if users are able to see the info now or not. 

Yes. I’m glad that I could help you and Others.
I just got a notification saying that my flow failed.
Question:
When I created the new list, was I supposed to enter the data into the list or should I leave the list blank and power automate will enter the data for me?
I think. You should leave the new list blank and let Power Automate enter the data for them. The Copy item action in Power Automate will automatically copy the information from the source list (Finance) to the destination list (the new list) whenever a new item is created or modified in the source list. Therefore, You does not need to manually enter the data into the new list.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by WrightDo (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Solution is to create a new list that contains only the information from the Finance list that needs to be displayed in the lookup columns. This new list can have its own unique permissions, allowing viewers to see the information in the lookup columns without giving them access to the entire Finance list. Another solution is to use a workflow or a Flow in Power Automate to copy the information from the Finance list to another list with different permissions. This way, viewers can see the information in the lookup columns without having access to the Finance list.

Solution 1: Create a new list
This is a relatively straightforward solution that can be implemented quickly. The user would need to create a new list that contains only the information from the Finance list that needs to be displayed in the lookup columns. This new list can then be given different permissions, allowing viewers to see the information in the lookup columns without giving them access to the entire Finance list.
To create a new list, the user would follow these steps:
1. Go to the SharePoint site where the Finance list is located.
2. Click on the "Lists" tab.
3. Click on the "New List" button.
4. Give the new list a name and description.
5. Select the "Lookup column" option for the columns that need to be displayed in the new list.
6. Select the Finance list as the source list for the lookup columns.
7. Click on the "Create" button.
Once the new list is created, the user can give it different permissions. To do this, the user would follow these steps:
1. Go to the "Permissions" tab for the new list.
2. Click on the "Add" button.
3. Select the users or groups that you want to give permissions to.
4. Select the permissions that you want to give to the users or groups.
5. Click on the "Save" button.
Solution 2: Use a workflow or Flow in Power Automate
This solution is a bit more complex than the first solution, but it can be more flexible. With this solution, the user would use a workflow or Flow in Power Automate to copy the information from the Finance list to another list with different permissions. This way, viewers can see the information in the lookup columns without having access to the Finance list.
To create a workflow or Flow in Power Automate, the user would follow these steps:
1. Go to the Power Automate website.
2. Click on the "Create" button.
3. Select the "Automate a workflow" option.
4. Select the "Trigger when an item is created or modified" option.
5. Select the Finance list as the list that you want to trigger the workflow or Flow on.
6. Click on the "Create" button.
Once the workflow or Flow is created, the user would need to add a step to copy the information from the Finance list to another list. To do this, the user would follow these steps:
1. Click on the "Add an action" button.
2. Search for the "Copy item" action.
3. Select the "Copy item" action.
4. Select the Finance list as the source list.
5. Select the new list as the destination list.
6. Click on the "Save" button.
Once the workflow or Flow is saved, it will start running automatically whenever a new item is created or modified in the Finance list. This will copy the information from the Finance list to the new list, allowing viewers to see the information in the lookup columns without having access to the Finance list.

View solution in original post