📂 How to color folders in SharePoint and Teams [Colorful Folders]

MVP

NEW VIDEO N. 384

In this video, you'll learn how to color folders in SharePoint and Teams.

I'll walk you through every step to set a color in a folder and how to do it automatically using Power Automate for instance.

The new SharePoint Rest API endpoints offer the ability to configure the folder's colors programmatically. 

#MicrosoftSharePoint #SharePoint #Teams #MicrosoftTeams #ColorfulFolders #giulianodeluca #remotework #remotelearning #Microsoft #corporate #tutorial #officetips #Microsoft365

4 Replies
What are the permissions for changing the colors on a department's SharePoint site? Can anyone with edit change the folder colors? Is there a way to prevent them from changing it? Are the folder colors included in the Public View?

@Giuliano De Luca 

I did exactly what you show in the video, and I get this error message:

Access denied.
clientRequestId: e2eed042-1f85-4982-a512-f36f4b2e0f35
serviceRequestId: 886d12a1-d025-5000-10e7-b4116e35d340

I have also posted in Power Automate forum: 

Re: color folders with files in them. - Power Platform Community (microsoft.com) 

@LizMack 

You need Contribute/Edit permissions to change the color of folders in SharePoint.

Related read:

1. Creating Colored Folders in SharePoint Online and OneDrive 
  2. Create Colored Folders in SharePoint Online using CLI for Microsoft 365 

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

Ganesh,
I work for an organization that does not allow me CLI. Also, the point of a power automate solution is that you can repeatedly perform the same task. Your CLI solution is a one-time create and color folder solution. I do appreciate that you point out the need for permissions in SharePoint Document Libraries. Do you know if I or my IT department can set up Document Library Permissions for an HTTP request?