Files Shared with Me/By

Iron Contributor

In OneDrive we get a great view that shows all files that have been shared with you.  Also we get to see files we share with other people.

However, if we are in SharePoint Online is there a way in getting a similar experience so that we can know which files on the site collection we may shared with other peopled or shared with us in a single view instead of checking each file to see sharing details?  Thanks!

10 Replies
No, SPO does not provide that feature....however when you work with Office 365 Groups you have the Shared with us

I thought at some point this was going to be carried over to SharePoint Online, but I could be mistaken. @Stephen Rice anything you can share on this or is my mind failing me? 

I thought in Onedrive SharedWithMe view it'll show all the files shared with you from both SharePoint and OneDrive.

That might be what I'm recalling then that, that was added to the shared view. Would by nice to have this same ability

However, I did recall how you can see if files are Shared with SharePoint online. Go to the SharePoint page, and click on Site Usage on the cog in top right, then at the bottom will be a section for Shared Externally which will show any files shared with people outside the site.
Thank you all. In our case we do not aloe external sharing but will be nice having a view on that same usage report page of the files shared internally for that specific site collection.
Pretty sure that shows any sharing links. Not external to org but external to the site. So it should show for you I believe.

Hi all,

Shared With Us on Group-connected sites is the only thing we have in product today here and I don't have anything new to share about further improvements in this space. 

I am curious though, how would you all answer these questions?

• What should show up in a "Shared with Us" view for a Group-Connected Site? 
  • What should show up in the view for a non-group connected site? 
  • What is the definition of a file that is "Shared By Us"? 

Thanks for your feedback!

Stephen Rice

OneDrive Program Manager II

I personally don't think you can really program or get much us out of a "Shared with us" view, I think what's more important is what Files are being shared out by the Team/Group/Site. Seems that this is available on the site usage page thou, I haven't really dug into it enough to know what qualifies to show up on that list, but having a view similar to How onedrive has so you can quickly act / select / change on these files with Sharing links, would be nice to have.

Rather than a Shared With Us view for a group it'll be better if we have a shared page per site where each user can view all files folders or sharing links they have created and manage access from there and site admin can view all the shares from the site and manage access.

@Stephen Rice 

I believe that especially the "Shared by us" (or shared outside the group) view is important. We are using group-connected TeamSites and people are asking a lot about the option to easily see what files and folders have been shared outside the group, including links and specific people in the company and externals. Does this make sense?

In addition to that people need an easy, visual way (not in the details view) to see that a folder has been shared with other people than the group members to prevent them from accidentally sharing files that shouldn't be shared. I'm thinking of a something like an icon that indicates that there is external access. Especially when the external access has been inherited from a folder... 

Looking forward to your reply!

Best

Clemens