Creating a site collection using a modern team site template?

Iron Contributor

I'm trying to setup some site collections (the first time I've done this), but I'd like the site collections to use the modern team site template. 

When I create the site collection, I only appear to have the option to use the 'team site (classic experience)' template and not a modern one.

Untitled.png

Does anybody know how/if I can do this? Thanks

6 Replies
To create a modern site (aka modern Site Collection) you have the following options:
(1) From the SPO Home Page, click on "Create site"
(2) Instead of using the old SPO Admin Center, use the new one so you can create both modern and classic sites

Hi @Toby McDaid,

If you want to create modern SharePoint sites then you will need to go to the SharePoint page (via Office.com homepage or the waffle). At the top of the page is a button to + Create Site. This will allow you to create either a modern Team site or a Communications site. You can then go onto specify the URL etc., as well as a template if you chose the Communications site option. 

If you select a Team site then you will also have an Office 365 group created too. If you just want a modern Team site without the group then you will need to use PowerShell to create the new site collection and set the template type to be STS#3. See Sebastien Leverts post on how to do this: https://www.sebastienlevert.com/2018/08/01/create-a-modern-team-site-without-an-office-365-group-usi...

HTH

James. 

Even through selecting 'create site' from the modern admin centre I still only have the option to select the classic experience.

Are you in Targeted Release?

If you go to your SharePoint Online Classic Admin Center (if you are in the preview center you will need to switch back to Classic), go to Settings and then scroll down to Site Creation. What options do you have selected? 

New Site Creation Settings.PNG

Hi all. I want to keep this thread alive. I'm also trying to achieve the same as @Toby McDaid. If someone has experience with this, can you please create a walk-through with pics?