SOLVED

Sub project management problem

Copper Contributor

Hi community

- I have three files with three projects, saved respectively "project 1", "project 2" and "project 3"
- Starting from an empty document I go to the Project > Subproject tab and insert the 3 secondary projects
In this case everything is perfect (apart from the fact that Project arbitrarily inserts a row with summary activities which - apparently - takes its name from that of the inserted file)

01.png

- I'm going to change the name of the "project 3" file to "TORNIO CNC" (right click on the file > rename)
- Starting from an empty document I go to the Project > Subproject tab and insert the 3 secondary projects

02.png

- when I insert the renamed file, a summary activity actually appears showing the name of the first saved "project 3"

03.png

I ask:
- is it possible to delete the summary line that the program inserts in addition?
- why is it that if you rename a file the import information is not updated, always starting from a new file?

Thank you

Client desktop di Microsoft® Project® Online MSO (Versione 2312 Build 16.0.17126.20132) a 64 bit

But this issue is present also in 2021 version of MS Project

4 Replies
best response confirmed by Luca_60 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Luca_60 --

You are renaming your subprojects in the WRONG location. Open each of your subprojects individually and then do the following:

1. Click File > Info.
2. In the upper right corner of the Info page, click the Project Information pick list button and select the Advanced Properties item.
3. In the Properties dialog, enter the name of the project in the Title field.
4. Click the OK button, then save and close the subproject.

After you complete the above steps for each of the subprojects, reopen your master project and you will see the correct names for each of your subprojects. By the way, this is NOT a bug. This is just how the software works with the naming of subprojects in a master project. Hope this helps.

@Dale_HowardMVP 

Many many thanks Dale!

Problem solved.

I take advantage of your experience: is it possible to insert sub-projects without displaying the summary line?

Luca_60 --

You are more than welcome for the help, my friend. To answer your latest question, no, it is NOT possible to insert subprojects and not display the Project Summary Task (which you call the summary line). This is just how the software works and there is no way to change that behavior. Hope this helps.

@Dale_HowardMVP 

Many thanks

Have a good day!

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Luca_60 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Luca_60 --

You are renaming your subprojects in the WRONG location. Open each of your subprojects individually and then do the following:

1. Click File > Info.
2. In the upper right corner of the Info page, click the Project Information pick list button and select the Advanced Properties item.
3. In the Properties dialog, enter the name of the project in the Title field.
4. Click the OK button, then save and close the subproject.

After you complete the above steps for each of the subprojects, reopen your master project and you will see the correct names for each of your subprojects. By the way, this is NOT a bug. This is just how the software works with the naming of subprojects in a master project. Hope this helps.

View solution in original post