P4W competing with PWA

Copper Contributor

Project for the Web (P4W) and Project Web App (PWA) cover (today) very different needs. P4W has a more modern approach, technologically, but with a fairly superficial functional coverage. PWA uses legacy technologies but has hundreds of features that P4W doesn't, such as program and portfolio management, better resource management, and more progress measurement options. Sadly, Microsoft seems to be making efforts to get users to switch to P4W, without yet providing P4W with all the necessary functionality. Recently the PWA project center starts showing an icon to create new projects. New projects remain in P4W, without them being able to be managed properly from PWA, creating great confusion and problems among PWA users. Even Project Professional Desktop (part of PWA) has begun to show a decline in the quality of the application. All this would not be a problem if P4W had the depth of functionality of PWA. Do you think it is a correct strategy to start affecting PWA, to ensure a possible migration to P4W?

2 Replies
rbuzeta --

You are asking us to read the minds of Microsoft's senior leadership on this issue. Even though I have been a Project MVP for 20 years, I cannot offer you any insight into Microsoft's future plans for project management tools or on their marketing strategy with Project for the Web. Hope this helps.

Hi @Dale Howard , thanks for the response. In the PWA Project Center there is a button that leads to creating projects in P4W. Portfolio optimization cannot be done for those projects from Plan 5. That means that late, after creating projects in P4W, the user recognizes the need to do it again in PWA. This is leading the user to a dead end street. I don't need to read minds, but only read the Project Center, to affirm that the experience of PWA users is damaged to promote the use of P4W.