SOLVED

Sharing project failed after reaching the maximum number of retries.

Copper Contributor

Hi does anyone know how it happend? I cannot share my MS project to any group today (was able to before). Already tried many groups for few hours now. Thanks

MS project not able to share.png

10 Replies
That is the strangest error message I have ever seen in Project for the Web. I personally have never experienced this problem. Question - Do you still have the same problem today? I know that some issues with Project for the Web go away on their own. I do not know why that happens, however! Please let us know and we will try to help you.
best response confirmed by Dale Howard (MVP)
Solution

Thank you @Dale Howard yes when I came back to work the next Monday, and tried again then worked. Very strange Friday it didn't allow me to share. But anyway works now. Thank you!

Martin_Blair_0-1681381398591.png

I am having exactly the same issue @XiaoqingDeng did it completely disappear?

I am also seeing this error since months time!!
I'm also having the same problem.

@XiaoqingDeng So I got the fix identified. When you share the Project with a group i.e., the Azure AD group, the group must not have a hidden membership set. The group has to be either Public or Private but if the group has a hidden membership set, you can not assign the project to it. 

Look at the attachment, I have pointed out 2 types of groups of 2 different types. Hope this helps!!

Re: Sharing project failed after reaching the maximum number of retries. - @Dale Howard I have found uut a fix for below topic

So I got the fix identified. When you share the Project with a group i.e., the Azure AD group, the group must not have a hidden membership set. The group has to be either Public or Private but if the group has a hidden membership set, you can not assign the project to it. 

Look at the attachment, I have pointed out 2 types of groups of 2 different types. Hope this helps!!
AmarHonnungar --

Brilliant! Thanks so much for sharing the solution to this annoying problem. Much appreciated. We all learned something new today!
I'm a bit confused because I guess that my Microsoft 365 group has no hidden membership set. Where can I check this ?
Nevertheless, I got the same error message when I try to assign this group to a new P4TW project :
"Sharing project '' failed after reaching the maximum number of retries. Group '' still exists, please try sharing with this group again."
The image and solution is not clear, could you kindly elaborate. Really appreciate your help here
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Dale Howard (MVP)
Solution

Thank you @Dale Howard yes when I came back to work the next Monday, and tried again then worked. Very strange Friday it didn't allow me to share. But anyway works now. Thank you!

View solution in original post