manage views on capacity planning view

Copper Contributor

Hi

Hoping for some help

I currently use power BI to make capacity charts from all the data in project online. As weve started to roll this out wider in the company the refresh rate of BI has started to become an issue (~20 mins to refresh with a scheduled refresh every 2 hours)

I have been asked to look at other options to get a faster feedback of the impact of project changes on our resource charts.

I have looked at the inbuilt capacity planning section which should give a live version of the data. However, while the graph is great, the details table does not give enough detail to be useful. I cannot see how to add more information to this table via the usual "manage views" option in PWA settings. 

Does anyone know how I can add more information to this table?

Thanks for your help

Matt 

3 Replies

@Matthew Russell Yes sir, you are not alone. What I've been doing with clients the last few years is using an MS Team with a channel that has a tab for your Resources/Resource Center (Linked to PWA) that surfaces that info right there in MS Teams. I'll also have the Power BI report as a tab. As long as you get to train the end users or you can create a webpage to train them; then they'll know the overall difference. To answer your question specifically for live info and details, the work around is use your PWA "Capacity Planning" for the high level and then "Resource Assignments" for the details. Not elegant, but its live. Let me know if this works with what you have.

Hi @TonyProctor 

Thanks for getting back to me
This sounds similar to what I was thinking as a workaround.
Alternatively I can increase the powerBI schedule refresh rate to every hour but still not quite what im hoping for i.e. Project managers want to be able to make a change to a project and see how that impacts the resource capacity while in discussion with the Resource managers, so waiting for the next refresh to see the impact isnt ideal.

If there was a way to merge the capacity planning tool and the resource assignments tool on to one page it would solve the issue

Really all I need is the details table in the capacity planning tool to show task names. the rest of the detail doesnt matter too much

Thanks

Matt 

So you bring up a good point, process-wise; I like to have the PMs/Schedulers use MS Project for their (step 1) demand (Resource Usage) within their schedule, when that is correct then (step 2) close out MS Project, open it back up but select the "Load Summary Resource Assignments". That will let them see the same resources in (Resource Usage) across the entire portfolio.
This process allows them sanity for themselves and then across the portfolio AND no need to wait : )

*Tip: If they're needing to switch or look for other resources they can use the "Build Resources from Enterprise" and use the "Show Resource Availability" to filter.