Mail & Calendar Apps Will Be Replaced with New Outlook for Windows December 2024

MVP

Original Publish Date: June 2023 | MC650424 Revised Date: August 30, 2023, based on Microsoft's Updated Message See text in red font.

Microsoft's revised announcement states that the Mail and Calendar Apps will no longer be supported at the end of 2024 and will become the New Outlook for Windows. In the meantime, users are encouraged to try the New Outlook for Windows while they can switch back and forth between the Mail App and New Outlook versions. 

At the beginning of 2024, all Windows 11 devices will include the Free version of New Outlook for Windows as the default mailbox application.

Supported Accounts: The new Outlook for Windows can currently support Microsoft 365 consumer accounts such as Outlook.com, Hotmail.com, and Live.com, as well as Microsoft 365 work or school accounts and Gmail. In the near future, we plan to add support for Yahoo!, iCloud, and other email providers through IMAP and POP. Stay tuned. 

For those who want to learn more about the exciting features of the New Outlook, head over to New Outlook for Windows - YouTube for a series of how-to videos. And don't miss out on the advantages of being an early adopter - check out this must-see video to encourage a smooth transition.

Share how you use the classic feature to give Microsoft constructive feedback on missing features. To do so, select the Help option in the ribbon while in New Outlook.

Microsoft Message Center Details In Part

MC590123 · Published Jun 2023. Revised to include new information August 30, 2023

We will replace the Mail and Calendar apps in Windows with the new Outlook for Windows by the end of 2024.

After this change is implemented:

1. Users can no longer use or download the Mail and Calendar apps.
  2. Users with a Microsoft 365 or Office 365 subscription with access to the Microsoft 365 desktop apps can use the new Outlook for Windows.
  3. Users can use the new Outlook for Windows with any personal email account (Outlook.com, Gmail, etc.), even without a subscription. 
    • If you would like to prevent users from adding their corporate email accounts to the new Outlook, you can follow the instructions in this document to disable the application for a single user, group of users, or the whole tenant: 
    • In mid-September 2023, we will begin auto-migrating Mail & Calendar app users to the new Outlook for Windows with an option to go back if they choose. Users can return to the current Mail & Calendar apps by clicking the toggle in the new Outlook for Windows. We also want to reiterate that these changes will not affect your organization’s use of classic Outlook for Windows. 

What you need to do to prepare:

There is nothing you do to prepare now, but we recommend you:

1. Let your Microsoft Windows users know about the change to the Mail and Calendar apps
  2. Start trying and testing the new Outlook for Windows
  3. Read this support article - Getting started with the new Outlook for Windows
  4. Read this article communicating the change - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/outlook-for-windows-the-future-of-mail-calendar-and-peopl... 
  5. Read this article: Windows Mail, Calendar and People are becoming Outlook - Microsoft Support

=======

My Dedicated New Outlook Video Series:

https://youtu.be/d7bEb20pCZU    |  https://youtu.be/ehUp2usOVqo    |  

https://youtu.be/tOZXXpcw1c0

#traccreations4e

This video highlights the latest Microsoft 365 New Outlook updates for Windows, featuring a revamped interface and enhanced inbox capabilities designed to boost productivity. You'll discover how to quickly locate the familiar classic features, eliminating the need for guesswork. 0:00 Outlook ...
This video covers 5 reasons to enable the New Outlook for Windows application NOW versus LATER. As an early adopter, you can start reaping Outlook Desktop benefits today! 0:00 Introduction 1:08 Reason 1 1:57 Reason 2 2:38 Reason 3 3:56 Reason 4 4:28 Reason 5 5:08 Conclusion 🌐Visit ...
You will learn how to use the newly redesigned Microsoft New Outlook Calendar for Windows/Desktop. The new look of the calendar adopts many functionalities from Outlook Web for consistency between applications, making it easier to navigate and use. This video showcases the new interface and ...
127 Replies

@TanyaVG 

Ask your IT Department to run Office Repair on your computer. 

/Teresa

@Teresa_Cyrus The Windows Mail app works fine with all sorts of accounts including Exchange servers like AWS Work Mail. But the new Outlook doesn't. That's a non-starter for me since I need it for a work account. Funny that it supports Gmail, but not Exchange?

I just wanted to note, as some others here are confused as well, that "MC650424: Windows Mail and Calendar are becoming Outlook" states "We also want to reiterate that these changes will not affect your organization’s use of classic Outlook for Windows. Our guidance for Outlook for Windows users remains unchanged from our previous Message Center Post (MC381366)". However, MC381366 is no longer in the Message Center to view, so we do not have the timeline at hand. Everyone with an actual copy of Outlook shouldn't need to worry right now as this appears to only affect the Windows 10 Mail app ("Mail" in your program list.) It would be preferable for Microsoft to better differentiate between the products even though they are trying to align them.
I have been a hard core Outlook user since I gave up my daytimer years ago. I use the installed desktop version vs cloud 365 version. I have no idea what the heck you were thinking making the reply details HUGE. What is the point? It's rediculous and useless as hell. Outlook is the single reason I use Office. There isn't one other Office app I can't use another alternative for. Should I look for a replacement email management tool now? Microsoft already killed my iphone sync for my images. Outlook is literally the last thing keeping me on this OS.
I just switched "activated" the New Outlook button in the Windows Mail client. I'm trying to set up an IMAP client account for a secure email site interface client) (Proton Bridge). Is the IMAP configuration not fully enabled?

The Outlook client won't let me select advanced setting until its made an attempt just based on the client email account address. Then when I can select the IMAP configuration, it does not populate security type. ?? Also, I have not used an MS account in ages, using gmail as my primary account. It appears that Outlook is trying to force the creation of an MS account. ???
Where is the ability to Save Sent message to folder? Use to be in the Message > Options but no longer. This is a useful feature for many people - to save time manually moving sent emails to a specific folder (or having to do a manual operation in Sent folder).
Most important question to me for the new Outlook that will replace my Mail and Calendar is "will it now fully support 3rd party accounts like Gmail?". Still it feels like nobody cares that such basic functions like receiving a calendar invite and answer (accept/decline) never worked properly with Gmail accounts.
You can receive invites from other accounts to your Gmail and Mail recognizes and displays the invite properly. However if you accept the invites it does not create the corresponding entry in the calendar.
Highly annoying that such a basic functionality does not work since years now. Only half baked support for such 3rd party mail accounts will not force me to change my main mail account to Microsoft. If this is again not properly working in the new Outlook I feel more forced to switch to an 3rd party mail and calendar application as well.
There is an error in a Microsoft instruction page discussing how to disable the "Try New Outlook" Toggle. The link is: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/clients-and-mobile-in-exchange-online/outlook-on-the-web/... and the error is in the Registry Dword. It says to set it to 1 to enable the toggle and to 0 to enable it. That is backwards. It must be set to 1 to disable the "Try New Outlook" toggle in Outlook Desktop. You also have to reboot after you change a registry setting.

There is a Message Center Notification referencing the erroneous web page above:

https://admin.microsoft.com/AdminPortal/home?ref=MessageCenter/:/messages/MC676298

These are the entries on the page that show the dWord values are backwards:

Copy the one of the following text blocks into Notepad:

Enable the New Outlook toggle in Outlook Desktop: This value shows the Try the new Outlook" toggle in Outlook Desktop, if it's available in your update channel:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Options\General]
"HideNewOutlookToggle"=dword:00000001
Disable the New Outlook toggle in Outlook Desktop: This value hides the Try the new Outlook" toggle in Outlook Desktop:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Options\General]
"HideNewOutlookToggle"=dword:00000000

Save the file as .reg in a location that's easy to find. For example: C:\Data\Disable New Outlook toggle in Outlook Desktop.reg or C:\Data\Enable New Outlook toggle in Outlook Desktop.reg.

Run the .reg file and select Yes in the confirmation dialog that appears.

Hi @Beth_P1230,

Save Sent Messages to a folder is unavailable in New Outlook or for the web versions, as you have observed. Please provide Microsoft feedback in the portal. 

New outlook sent folder · Community (microsoft.com)

Feel free to add the link to your feedback to this thread so others can vote.

/Teresa

@Teresa_Cyrus 

You've been drinking too much from the Microsoft well! As an ex-Microsoftie and been in this business for 40+years, I've been there.

Progress is important, but basically pushing Outlook desktop as a Web app via Webview2 disables all interop between other MS applications. This means they are removing the COM object model from Outlook so developing business productivity applications and tools that integrate Outlook with Word, Excel, Powerpoint, MS Access is now not possible with the "New Outlook".

The ripple affect will be huge ! In addition MS is not providing any tools to mitigate this. They are basically saying "tough tooties" - go re-write your COM based applications, tools and add-ins to the web - a very very expensive solution if at all possible.

(Shaking my head) :(

@YossiDukes 

Just laughing at your comment: 

You've been drinking too much from Microsoft well! 

Thanks for sharing your comment.

I am unable to add my Microsoft Account Email to Outlook for Windows. I have the following accounts. email address removed for privacy reasons with Xfinity, 1 account with Shorelinepost227.com, and 1 account associated with my Microsoft account. One i have entered my Xfinity account and the Shorelinepost227 account, I try to add my Microsoft acct using my Microsoft username login which is the same as my Xfinity account email address removed for privacy reasons and it says that it cannot be added. I have also tried adding just the Email address associated with my Microsoft acct and it also say the same thing the account cannot be added. The calendar is blank because all of the calendar info is with my Microsoft acccount. How can I resolve this issue and add my Microsoft account?
What will happen with a Microsoft account with an alias using Outlook 365 for the primary alias & Outlook.com for an additional alias?

So...

MS at it again.

How do we replace interoperability with outlook from a .NET app now

How do we compose an email and open in outlook for the user to finish edit and send - keeping a copy in the user Sent folder.

Simple tasks with no alternative.

Also now the old CRM2011 plugin is dead too!

I dont like the new outlook either mostly because Microsoft began putting ads in the Inbox other. We pay for microsoft so why should there be ads in our inbox where our emails should be? I am suprised Microsoft has stooped to this, we try to teach people not to open suspicious emails but hey now we got ads that will open up internet browser. Its just a fact of keeping a clean looking inbox but with ads there I cant be happy with it so I will not be upgrading unless im forced to then I will just delete it.
Well, when the new Outlook rolls out. I will be dumping the app to find something better, I've tried the new outlook, and I do not like it. Forced upgrades is not the way to go Microsoft. I've already found a new email client. Why would Microsoft shoot itself in the foot?

Hi @Eve_Simple,

The task manager will be replaced with the To Do Applications. The functionality between the apps is significantly different. 

Check out this video.

/Teresa

Hi @Diane805,

I have several alias accounts, and they converted over without any issues. 

I've been migrating from Windows Live Mail to Windows Mail to Mail over many years, but always wondered why this product remained to be an unwanted child by Microsoft.

Since Win 10 this has worked ok, integrating various Mail Accounts and even my Google Calendar. Now that's going to be history, soon.

Will Google Calendar still work with New Outlook for Windows? Why do other Mail providers mails need to be synchronized to Microsoft cloud to make it work?

Fortunately, there is Thunderbird and I will be decommissioning all Microsoft Mail happily for good.