Mail & Calendar Apps Will Be Replaced with New Outlook for Windows December 2024

MVP

Original Publish Date: June 2023 | MC650424 Revised Date: August 30, 2023, based on Microsoft's Updated Message See text in red font.

Microsoft's revised announcement states that the Mail and Calendar Apps will no longer be supported at the end of 2024 and will become the New Outlook for Windows. In the meantime, users are encouraged to try the New Outlook for Windows while they can switch back and forth between the Mail App and New Outlook versions. 

At the beginning of 2024, all Windows 11 devices will include the Free version of New Outlook for Windows as the default mailbox application.

Supported Accounts: The new Outlook for Windows can currently support Microsoft 365 consumer accounts such as Outlook.com, Hotmail.com, and Live.com, as well as Microsoft 365 work or school accounts and Gmail. In the near future, we plan to add support for Yahoo!, iCloud, and other email providers through IMAP and POP. Stay tuned. 

For those who want to learn more about the exciting features of the New Outlook, head over to New Outlook for Windows - YouTube for a series of how-to videos. And don't miss out on the advantages of being an early adopter - check out this must-see video to encourage a smooth transition.

Share how you use the classic feature to give Microsoft constructive feedback on missing features. To do so, select the Help option in the ribbon while in New Outlook.

Microsoft Message Center Details In Part

MC590123 · Published Jun 2023. Revised to include new information August 30, 2023

We will replace the Mail and Calendar apps in Windows with the new Outlook for Windows by the end of 2024.

After this change is implemented:

1. Users can no longer use or download the Mail and Calendar apps.
  2. Users with a Microsoft 365 or Office 365 subscription with access to the Microsoft 365 desktop apps can use the new Outlook for Windows.
  3. Users can use the new Outlook for Windows with any personal email account (Outlook.com, Gmail, etc.), even without a subscription. 
    • If you would like to prevent users from adding their corporate email accounts to the new Outlook, you can follow the instructions in this document to disable the application for a single user, group of users, or the whole tenant: 
    • In mid-September 2023, we will begin auto-migrating Mail & Calendar app users to the new Outlook for Windows with an option to go back if they choose. Users can return to the current Mail & Calendar apps by clicking the toggle in the new Outlook for Windows. We also want to reiterate that these changes will not affect your organization’s use of classic Outlook for Windows. 

What you need to do to prepare:

There is nothing you do to prepare now, but we recommend you:

1. Let your Microsoft Windows users know about the change to the Mail and Calendar apps
  2. Start trying and testing the new Outlook for Windows
  3. Read this support article - Getting started with the new Outlook for Windows
  4. Read this article communicating the change - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/outlook-for-windows-the-future-of-mail-calendar-and-peopl... 
  5. Read this article: Windows Mail, Calendar and People are becoming Outlook - Microsoft Support

=======

My Dedicated New Outlook Video Series:

https://youtu.be/d7bEb20pCZU    |  https://youtu.be/ehUp2usOVqo    |  

https://youtu.be/tOZXXpcw1c0

#traccreations4e

This video covers 5 reasons to enable the New Outlook for Windows application NOW versus LATER. As an early adopter, you can start reaping Outlook Desktop benefits today! 0:00 Introduction 1:08 Reason 1 1:57 Reason 2 2:38 Reason 3 3:56 Reason 4 4:28 Reason 5 5:08 Conclusion 🌐Visit ...
You will learn how to use the newly redesigned Microsoft New Outlook Calendar for Windows/Desktop. The new look of the calendar adopts many functionalities from Outlook Web for consistency between applications, making it easier to navigate and use. This video showcases the new interface and ...
127 Replies

Curious as to who or what is pushing this massive and disruptive change? What was wrong with the previous versions that were transparent, easy to use, required no technology or coding degree to be able to manipulate? I am reading so many negative responses about these new versions of Microsoft products that cause disappearing documents and folders, emails, etc. Why is Microsoft determined to break something that has been working so well for so many? I cannot find any logic in this change. As I've noted previously, I have been a user of Microsoft products for decades; previously I worked with Corel programs - which I thought were excellent, but which were obscured by the crush of Microsoft onto the scene. At the time, I felt it was inferior in many respects to Corel, but it was still usable and understandable/easy to use. At this juncture, it appears that Microsoft is breaking the confidence of many in addition to breaking the access to the product we have come to learn and use so easily over all the applications. Not choosing to adapt to the OneDrive and other "improvements" is a death knoll because it results in even more documents and folders disappearing. 

Honestly, I think its their intention to dumb down their products. Gone are the days that companies like Microsoft do what is right for their customers, because well, what else can you do? They do right by themselves. Sure, some of us could cancel our use of Word/Excel, etc and go with an alternative, but getting large organizations to do that? Doubtful, and they know it.
Yep, this is exactly it. All these companies want to appeal to the lowest common denominator - and bring everybody else down to it.

@Teresa_Cyrus I can't stand this outlook and was transferred over without my permission. I tired it out a while ago and didn't want or like it. I am on emails all day and night long. The emails on outlook are labor some and painful to use on my body. I have to use my hand to mouse 3x more on outlook. I can't seem to download it in my tray like I have @live.com email platform. There are some features that I used on @live.com that aren't available in outlook. There is nothing in outlook that interests me at all. I was moved on to outlook on 3/13/2024, just two days ago. With no warning whatsoever. I am now having problems with update downloads that I wasn't before this happened. I can't find any reason for this other than outlook. I want my @live.com email system back! 

@Teresa_Cyrus 

Well another reason to not give microsoft any more money for their services. Hassling with Teams which is a total garbage even after all these years was enough. I'm not going to use another stupid webapp. Mail and Calendar was one of apps that worked just flawlessly and did exactly what I need. No need for slow buggy New Outlook with horrible UI/UX.

@Kitblue

The functionality that once made Outlook the best digital mail program is gone. GONE. I am so frustrated by this "NEW" Outlook. Whoever or whatever decided to discontinue what has been working so well for decades killed Outlook's reputation; it wouldn't surprise me if businesses - especially corporations with 100 or more employees begin seeking another email platform. The functionalities that made Outlook unique over more common email platforms are gone and Outlook has become as dumb  -- i.e., so simplistic that nothing functional remains that used to make Outlook stand out among other platforms -- as those other platforms. Who is ramrodding this change that makes no sense whatever?

@Teresa_Cyrus   What happened?!? I was liking the new Outlook (mostly because the old mail program sucked), and didn't really have to do anything to get to it (since I toggled the switch in the old mail program and it just took me to Outlook). And then last night.... [boom] it's gone!  I haven't been able to get to Outlook at all today. 

And just to give you an idea how bad the old mail sucks, since it still opens, I was able to see how up-to-date it's been keeping itself. The last time it downloaded mail was January 27

@mjalcorn You can have mine then. I can't stand this new mail. The old outlook did just fine for me. I was trying to work my way through the new mail and I mean work because it is laborsom to even get through. To delete the new mail you have to put your cursor exactly in the box next to the mail and if it isn't exact then you end up opening a piece of mail you didn't want, and then you have to start all over checking boxes to delete. It has taken me an hour just checking and starting over when deleting all the mail I didn't want to open. I don't get paid for that. I lose money in this new outlook mail, it sucks.

All you have to do is download the new outlook and then it's accessible or type outlook into your browser everyday to get to your mail. I think you'd probably want to download it. You will need to have a Microsoft account though.