OneDrive Files on Demand for Mac

Silver Contributor

Forgive me if it has been posted before, I did look around but didn't see anything, but is there going to be a OneDrive Files on Demand for Mac users?

106 Replies
select System Preferences, then select Extensions in the top-level menu -> tick ”Finder” box under onedrive
Is this related to an updated OneDrive Client or a tip to the current "buggy" version?

The relaunch fixed it!!!!  I feel like I have tried everything prior to that.   Your awesome!  

Awsome it worked out! Thanks @Aaron Brooks

@Ben, beside the context menu is the files on demand function working on your system?

Yes.. It's amazingly fast and a huge improvement over a 3rd party app we were using prior. The only issue that I need to still resolve is the antivirus getting in the way of it and causing files to sync when it doesn't need to.
You should be able to put in an exception on that folder in your AV

@Ben: Lucky you, can't get it to work here. Not on my MacBook or on my iMac. I even excluded the OneDrive folder from the antivirus, but still downloading every file I upload (using the web portal). Context menu and icons are working well... only the files on demand is still a pain.

Ok guys, I noticed something funny. I moved all the files into sub-folders in my OneDrive folder.

I deselected all files to be available. This will 'clear' the OneDrive folder. After that I select all files to be available. Now it's working, and I see that my files are available but not downloaded. Except for the files that are still in my root OneDrive folder.

Another strange behaviour. I use CommanderOne to manage and access my files. When this program 'opens' the OneDrive folder, or sub-folder the files are downloaded. But this has probably to do how CommanderOne is scanning the files I guess..

Overall, the client is working for me when the files are stored in sub-folders... Sounds like a small bug to me...

Hi colleagues, I still didn't get it ... Let's assume I have a Mac, OneDrive Client not installed. All OneDrive files in the cloud stored in folders (I have around 10 folders in my Onedrive). 

What are the steps to bring the Onedrive Client on my Mac to work correctly?

Appstore version is still the version without Files on demand..

Sorry guys, it doesn't work on my Mac running Mojave 10.14

- I disconnected my account in OneDrive

- I removed my current OneDrive installation (no OneDrive folder visible in Finder)

- I run the script for insider update ring

- I deleteted the json file

- I downloaded OneDrive from https://aka.ms/MacFilesOnDemandBinary

- I installed this version

- During setup, OneDrive informed me, that my folder already exist (where???) 

- I chosed the default folder

- OneDrive start with downloading all files from OneDrive Cloud

- I deactivate all folders in OneDrive Client

- Result is, that OneDrive now a 9 problems, informing me, that folders already exists in the OneDrive on my harddisc

- Version info: 18.192.0920.0012

Any idea?

I would uninstall, remove the content and redo
This is did already ...

Is the version number correct?

@Uwe Did you remove the old OneDrive folder? Since you have synchronisation problems saying the folder already exists...

yes, it seems the folder is still there

Sorry if Im repetitive, but have you done this?

Remove the locally stored OneDrive folder:

1. If you installed with the default settings, there will be the OneDrive folder under your name.
  2. Drag it to the trash.

Before installation, I deleted the folder under my user account