OneDrive broken on macOS 10.15 Catalina?

Copper Contributor

I noticed my OneDrive sharing options were missing, and that the icons were also missing from the top of the screen. Rebooting and reinstalling haven't helped. Something trashed by TM backup the other day so I cannot restore a previous version of the app. Anyone else seeing the same thing and/or know where to get a previous build?

43 Replies
Tracked down a version from last July in my Mojave partition which appears to be working.
Had same problem, downloaded version 23.054.0313, this works fine, unfortunately you can't turn off auto-updates for OneDrive so it will break again, and you'll have to keep re-installing the old version.

Thanks for confirming it isn't just me @nanonano. Do you have a link to that build you mentioned? 

Same problem here with my macOS Catalina.

@turingtest2 

I have the exact same issue. And because I tried to uninstall / reinstall One Drive, I no longer have access to my documents from my MacBook. I spent two hours chatting with Microsoft technical support and at the end, the recommendation was to contact One Drive technical support... Now I'm waiting for a reply from them.

I don't understand this specific issue with OneDrive. All the Office apps (Word, Excel, etc.) are working just fine. The only thing is that I can't install updates since I run on macOS Catalina.

I got the download link for version 23.054.0313. I reinstalled One Drive and so far so good.

https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=823060
I also have a same problem since my OneDrive app automatically updated on this Tuesday. However, my another Macbook Pro OS is Big Sur and OneDirve app seems run normal on it.

Same issue here.  VERY annoying and severely disrupts my workflow.  Microsoft wore me down and got me accepting working on OneDrive documents and having AutoSave on.  Now that's all gone and I have to manually sync to cloud.  My hardware caps out at Catalina, so an OS update isn't possible.  Yeah, I could buy new hardware, but I shouldn't have to.  I accepted that I'm stuck on older versions of the Office suite, which is fine for now, but at least let me use OneDrive!  PLEASE fix this ASAP!

I have the same issue, 10.15 here and OneDrive just won't open. Or crashes at the login point. Can't really update my OS to newer version due to work issue. Please fix this bug ASAP..

@XuHan29 use the link that @Deleted posted earlier to reinstall the previous build.

This solution does not work for me. The OneDrive icon appears for one second but then disappears. Maybe it's getting automatically updated
Yes the Console is showing OneDrive version 23.061.0319 instead of the installed 23.054.0313. Does anyone encounter the same issue?
Yes. I downloaded the pkg using the link above. Removed OneDrive. Ran package install. It let me get as far as entering my account info, then crashed. Crash report in Console shows version 23.066.0326 instead of the one that is supposedly listed above. Properties on the app also show 23.066.0326 (Dated March 30, 2023). If the old version did actually install, it didn't stick around very long and was replaced by the updated version.

@Charlie47 I found a workaround: when launching the app, kill the process named OneDriveUpdater (e.g., `sudo killall OneDriveUpdater` in the terminal). This stops OneDrive from updating itself. OneDrive should normally execute then.

I also removed all stuff containing "update" from the OneDrive package. Not sure what will happen after rebooting, but it is working now.

That didn't seem to work for me, but I will try again. My killall command never found any OneDriveUpdater processes. Perhaps my timing was off a bit. Will try again in a couple days when I have more time to work on it. ATTN Microsoft: This is time I shouldn't have to be spending on a workaround. Grrrr.
Due to the App will force user automatically update, I also have tried several time to reinstall previous version. None is working with Catalina. It's really odd and annoying and I may say Microsoft is an act of irresponsibility to fix this bug/error. Or They just discontinued OneDrive for Mac OS Catalina without any announcements or warnings!

In all my follow up communications with Microsoft, they also provided me with another link for a Microsoft package for Catalina. I believe it includes the Office Suite as well as One Drive. The version seems to be 16.43.20110804. In case it can help some of you, here it is.
https://officecdn.microsoft.com/pr/C1297A47-86C4-4C1F-97FA-950631F94777/MacAutoUpdate/Microsoft_Offi...

I tried the 16.43..... version above but it didn't work for me either. I THINK I found a workaround for me. It's only been working for a few hours, but so far so good. We'll see...

I found an article that said what the URL was for the autoupdate feature connection. So, I wanted to basically "block" that URL. I edited my /etc/hosts file to add a line for the following:

0.0.0.0. oneclient.sfx.ms

You can flush your DNS cache for good measure, but now when I install version 23.054.0313 that was provided early in this thread, it stays running, and it doesn't look like it's updating. I don't know what else making this change would affect, but since my Office software also can't update due to the OS Version being too low, I don't know of any other Microsoft software I have that would require access to that site. I'll update this thread with status in a day or two.

@Charlie47 thanks for the support, everyone in fact, but I have spent the whole day trying to fix this before work tomorrow and nothing is working. My last chat with support took days to resolve my issue so I'll just keep looking at this feed.

Thanks again,

Schozz