Microsoft To Do not working on Mac OS

Copper Contributor

I have switched from Wunderlist to Microsoft To Do, and have added it to my iPhone and iPad with no problem. I also downloaded it for my iMac at home (OS 10.15.3) and it worked for a little while. However, it crashed one day, and never recovered. Every time I try to open it, it crashes and asks if I want to send a big report to MS. I completely uninstalled it and reinstalled it, and the problem persists. I cannot even keep it open long enough to make adjustments or see what might cause the issue. Has anyone encountered this before?

37 Replies
Same after the required update. I emailed MSFT a couple days ago, and no response yet. I thought maybe it was just me but evidently not. Would be helpful to know if they are working on a fix.

@marcr3 I have the exact same thing. The app had to update and when updated it crashed when trying to open.. Commenting here in hope of finding a solution. 

After update ToDo App for MacOS logged me off. I tried to login again but neither "Account" nor "Preferences" window is not opening after selecting it from ToDo menu. I tried to reinstall app but nothing changed. On mobile devices all works fine. What to do?

@camela920 I have the same problem now after the new update made the application open. I have logged in via the browser version and is using that until they get the desctop app fixed.. 

@diamondsue1967 

Thank you for your reply. MS To Do seems to sometimes work/not work on all my devices and synching has always been problematic.

several years ago I received a response from MS recommending I uninstall/reinstall the program. I was concerned that I would lose years worth of lists that I wanted to consolidate, so I never took the step to uninstall the program. It seems to me that this is not a drastic thing to do and that it would not delete  my years of to do lists and I’m thinking about pursuing this fix. I could never find the note from Microsoft to review and complete this procedure.

The disturbing part is that you and others have said that you have done this procedure, and it has not worked. I really like the format of to do and the program which was its predecessor, but it seems to me that the program is problematic, and there’s almost no support for Microsoft. Can anybody recommend alternate programs to do the same function? 

Thanks in advance for your recommendations!

BG

I would log in to the browser version to make sure that all your lists are on your account. Then you can always try to re-install the app when you know everything is stored on your account already.

@Camp86 

Thank you very much! I will do that!

At least on my iphone and ipad it takes more than 10 seconds to boot up! Do you have that issue, too?

BG

@Brian_Gross_myuserna I have only used the laptop browser version and just have the page open at all times, so i haven't had any boot up problems:)

@camela920 Agreed! Same problem.  2 emails to support. No answer yet.

I have the same issue with a twist, it try to log into an account from an old employer and I get a loop when I try to use my O365 login.
Exact the same problem under Ventura 13.4.1, select "Account..." or "Setting..." nothing opened or shown, it used to be work fine. It broke after asking for updating To-Do, and I followed, never be able to make it work again.
Microsoft, I believe you have enough complaint, please action. thanks.
AY
Same issue with the latest version. Tried uninstalling, deleting Library files with the cleaner, restarting, ... Neither "Preferences..." or "Account..." will open. It's completely blocked. Mac BigSur latest version. Please Microsoft fix this!
Support seems to give a **bleep** about our problems....

An update came, the problem still hasn't been resolved. Options and account do not open.

Monosnap .jpg

I have the same problem and now it's year 2023 - 2 years since this post.
Have you managed to find the root cause / solution? Thanks!

I found a solution which worked directly, just a few moments ago -- @jimconnell65 @slava-at-tech and others.

Check out this link:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-to-do/microsoft-to-do-for-mac-not-opening-crashing-...

And just to be safe, I'm also pasting the answer here in case the link doesn't work in the future:

I received help from Zeeshan, Microsoft Support and it works for me:

- Uninstall the To Do Mac app
- Open Finder and press CMD+Shift+G
- Enter “~/Library/Group Containers” and delete “UBF8T346G9.com.microsoft.to-do-mac” folder
- Press CMD+Shift+G
- Enter “~/Library/Containers” and delete “Microsoft To Do” folder
- Restart your device, download the app from the App Store and check.

After doing this, the login window reappeared and my todos are synced correctly.

I have the same problem, have you found out the cause or solution?