Unable to unblock a user. "We can't unblock this person at the moment. Try again later."

Brass Contributor

I'm wondering if anyone in the Teams community has run into this issue.

I've got a user who erroneously blocked a contact in Teams and is now unable to unblock the user via Settings > Privacy > Managed blocked people. This happens in both the Teams desktop and web-clients. They can click on the Unblock button next to the person's name, however they get the error "We can't unblock this person at the moment. Try again later." 

Does anyone know why the user can't unblock the contact they accidentally blocked in the first place? 

29 Replies
So I was struggling with this same issue and most of the options were iffy or required a few steps that weren't something that I could do on my end alone. So I tried simply unblocking via the Android version of the app and it worked immediately! I saw the user was removed from my desktop app and even after restarting the desktop app it was still gone and appears to be back to normal. Not sure what's different in the mobile app but it was an easy solution.

@Gengaiyan Mani Thanks for that article, I'll definitely try that next time I run into this issue.

Hello Gengayan,

I floowed the article Unified Communication - the Knowledge of Power: How to unblock blocked contact from Teams client - "...

But I am getting an error on step

• Switch from the "Query" to the "Body" tab to modify the body
  • paste the following value into the "Body" field
{"remove":["8:orgid:Enter the User GUID you found on the GET result"]}

I can not type the {"remove":["8:orgid:Enter the User GUID you found on the GET result"]} but getting an error "Can not edit in read only editor"

GlennEscarayan_0-1678509601185.png

Any advise?

When try to post, I am getting an error " Cannot Edit in read inly editor". Do you have workaround about it?

@Glenn Escarayan Click on the word Raw Text (not the radio button) to select it and it'll display the text box for you to enter the Body value.  

@r_8a 

Latest simple solution: Open the new Teams App in your desktop -> Click on ellipses of the person you want to block/unblock -> Blocked/Unblocked.

**Use the New Teams App

@r_8a If anyone is still having problems, i have found a way past this.

You have to create a group chat with the blocked person and other people.

Once the group is created, you shouls be able to communicate with the blocked person and delete the other people from the group chat.

It's not a solution but more of a way around things.

Hope this helps !

I also solved it with the new Teams client.
As this is a Teams premium feature to block internal users ...

Do your users copy entries from the GAL into their local Outlook adressbook? Just wanna know how this can happen. As we do not have Teams premium (or a Trial)