Unable to unblock a user. "We can't unblock this person at the moment. Try again later."

Brass Contributor

I'm wondering if anyone in the Teams community has run into this issue.

I've got a user who erroneously blocked a contact in Teams and is now unable to unblock the user via Settings > Privacy > Managed blocked people. This happens in both the Teams desktop and web-clients. They can click on the Unblock button next to the person's name, however they get the error "We can't unblock this person at the moment. Try again later." 

Does anyone know why the user can't unblock the contact they accidentally blocked in the first place? 

29 Replies
Hello, I'm wondering if you are still facing this issue trying to unblock a user
Yes. I've had the user clear their app cache, and try their web-client and still no luck.
What happens if the user tries to unblock the user but by going to the conversation instead settings menu?
User stated they don't see an option to "unblock" a user from the conversation.
Hello,
If they don't see the unblock, what do they see? and maybe an obvious question: are messages still going through?
Messages go through for other users, just not the user that was blocked. I ended up opening a ticket with MSFT and turns out it was a bug in our DoD tenant.

@Stephane500 

Were you able to get this fixed?  I'm battling the same issue and support can't figure it out.

Thanks,

Jason

@jkrull78 

At this time NO.

But here are some guidelines:

- Microsoft Support don't help me, argueing i have to contact my organisation support

- My organization forbid the usage of blocking in Teams

- The contact was blocked using Skype Enterprise, and blocking behaviour was spread during skype to teams migration

- We reopen skype and unblock user on skype, unblocking was a success in skype but not spread to teams

still in progress ...

@Stephane500  Thank you for the info.  Right now USCloud ( our MS Support) has me looking into if it has to do with a .GIF bug in teams.  I don't hold out much hope, but like you we are not allowed to block users in our enterprise either.

You organization did not block usage of blocking in Teams. Blocking users in Teams is not an option in Team if you have a Work or School account

Hi
Good news today.
I had a meeting with Microsoft representative.
Blocked user was removed using a Rest Request with his objectid on hidden API with my session opened.

Edit:

Détail of REST Request

URL : https://teams.microsoft.com/api/mt/part/emea-02/beta/usersettings/blocklist/manage

Replacing <objectid> with the user objectid you want to release

@Stephane500 

Thank you so much for the response.  Could you expand a little on "with my session opened"? 

I'm in the US, so I believe I need to change the url to /amer-02/.   I'm getting 401 Unauthorized when I run the REST request.  Did Microsoft run the command from their end or as your ID?

Thanks for all the help so far.

Jason

@jkrull78 

Actions was done with Edge browser

Just login to teams in web mode using Edge

Then, as far as i remember :

Open Settings > more tools > developer tools

In lower pane > Network console > create a request

Select POST then fill URL

then in body part you can add RAW TEXT with application/json drop box and Rest request in body 

then click SEND button and wait a while before check blocking status

Hi, I keep getting 401 errors when connecting to the URL (using emea-02), did u have to do anything different to get the request to run? Any help would be gratefully received as i have a single user who has someone blocked and we cannot unblock that person. I believe Blocking is only available for the Home/Personal version of Teams......