SOLVED

Teams chat making making a new chat from the main chat.

Copper Contributor

I am in an MS Teams chat with 25 to 50 people in my class and want to start a new chat with only 5 of the people in a chat.  So that we can talk to just each other and each time it would be a new chat  I know this can be done.  I thought you went to the name of the chat participant and clicked on start a chat with the participant's name and then add the other 4 people to the new chat, but this is not working for me I see the past chat history.

So how do I start a sub chat?  I want to do a breakout room without using a breakout room.

1 Reply
best response confirmed by StaceeFrane (Microsoft)
Solution
It's not exactly a sub-chat per say. It would be a new chat group.

You begin with a chat with one person. Send any message to begin.

Perhaps, add an intro summary with the purpose of the group such as, "Let's use this chat to discuss XX topic".

Send message.

Then at the upper right-hand corner, you may add participants. As you do this, it gives the option to add the chat history. This is what you want to do for the participants being added. Then they will all see the initial message.

Then go to the upper left-hand corner of chat and you can rename the group such as the study group name or topic name for which the chat is being used.

Alternatively, if you want to keep the entire chat history of a separate thread, you can use the @usernamehere, e.g. @StaceeFrane, option for each participant you are directly speaking on a topic.

Or, you may remove people from the thread, go to upper right-hand corner to remove/add participants. Have your new conversation. Complete discussion. Then add/remove others to continue a discussion. You can choose whether to add history or not.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by StaceeFrane (Microsoft)
Solution
It's not exactly a sub-chat per say. It would be a new chat group.

You begin with a chat with one person. Send any message to begin.

Perhaps, add an intro summary with the purpose of the group such as, "Let's use this chat to discuss XX topic".

Send message.

Then at the upper right-hand corner, you may add participants. As you do this, it gives the option to add the chat history. This is what you want to do for the participants being added. Then they will all see the initial message.

Then go to the upper left-hand corner of chat and you can rename the group such as the study group name or topic name for which the chat is being used.

Alternatively, if you want to keep the entire chat history of a separate thread, you can use the @usernamehere, e.g. @StaceeFrane, option for each participant you are directly speaking on a topic.

Or, you may remove people from the thread, go to upper right-hand corner to remove/add participants. Have your new conversation. Complete discussion. Then add/remove others to continue a discussion. You can choose whether to add history or not.

View solution in original post