Teams call queue serial routing

Copper Contributor

if i have a call queue

where there is an agent in the list, and below that a group of users, set as serial routing

will the call hit the first person and when not answered ring dist group members simutatenously

so, we want the receptionist to the be the first port of call, then when not answered, go to a group of ppl

then eventually we will land it in a voice mailbox

5 Replies

Hi @O365Noob,

in the context of Microsoft Teams, if you configure a call queue with serial routing, calls will be directed to agents sequentially, based on the order you’ve set in the Call agents list.

If the first agent, in this case the receptionist, doesn’t answer, the call will then be forwarded to the next agent or group in the list.

This process continues until the call is picked up, the caller disconnects, or the call times out. If all agents fail to answer, you can arrange for the call to be redirected to a voice mailbox. This mailbox can be linked to a specific Microsoft 365 group, distribution list, or mail-enabled security group of your choice.

Think of it like a line at the store. Customers (calls) are served one by one based on the order of the queue. If someone leaves the line (doesn't answer), the next person is served.

Create a Call queue in Microsoft Teams - Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Learn

Routing calls with Auto attendants and Call queues for Microsoft Teams - Microsoft Teams | Microsoft...

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue.
This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item.

If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

Kindest regards,

Leon Pavesic
(LinkedIn)
(Twitter)

right i get that,

what is the behaviour in this scenario for serial routing

1 person under users

and under the DG/Group section, i have a group with 3 members

O365Noob_0-1714988857644.png

@LeonPavesic 

Hi @O365Noob,

thanks for the update.

The behavior for the scenario you explained would be as follows:

• The call will first go to the individual user listed under “users”. If this person does not answer, the call will then be forwarded to the group listed under the “DG/Group” section.
  • Within the group, the call will be directed to the members sequentially, not simultaneously, based on the order they are listed in the group (in the rule - alphabetically). This means the call will first go to the first member of the group, if they do not answer, it will go to the second member, and so on.
  • If none of the members of the group answer the call, you can set it up so that the call is then redirected to a voice mailbox.

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue.
This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item.

Kindest regards,

Leon Pavesic
(LinkedIn)
(Twitter)

so, i cannot achieve

call one user Ie receptionist, and if no answer
SIM ring a call group

i could however achieve this if i dont create a call queue for the main number

Hi @O365Noob,

in Microsoft Teams, the call queue settings currently support three routing methods: Attendant routing, Serial routing, and Round robin.
However, none of these methods will ring all users in a group simultaneously.

Attendant routing distributes calls to all agents at once. The first agent to answer handles the call.

Serial routing sends calls to agents in the order they’re listed. If the first agent doesn’t answer, the call goes to the next agent in the list, and so on.

Round robin distributes calls evenly among agents. Each agent gets the same number of calls.

Unfortunately, there isn’t a built-in method in Microsoft Teams call queue settings to ring all users in a group simultaneously.

Kindest regards,

Leon Pavesic
(LinkedIn)
(Twitter)