How does a Call Queue agent timeout work with the Max Wait Time

Copper Contributor

I'm wondering if anybody can point me in the direction of documentation on a particular item. I'm looking to understand how the logic is handled in a Teams Call Queue between Agent Alert Time and the separate section called Call Time Out Handling. 

1. Let's say I have 2 agents in a call queue, set to serial routing, and each have an alert time of 30 seconds. That means, assuming they aren't on a call etc, that the call will ring for 60 seconds total.

2. Then let's assume that I have the Call Time Out Handling setting set to a value of 2 minutes, at which time it redirects to a Person in the Org. 

What happens to the call after it rings the 2 agents? Does it ring through the agents again and again until the Call Time out Handling max wait time has been reached? Does the call sit in Limbo (not ringing any agents but not disconnecting or forwarding) until the max wait time is reached? 

Is there any good documentation on this subject? The Docs page doesn't explain their interaction, only what each setting does by itself. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/create-a-phone-system-call-queue

4 Replies
Good question. Did you manage to find any answers over the last year?

@KeepingITreal Unfortunately, I never got an answer to the question. I always just do the math and line up the settings, which is annoying to say the least. If you find an answer, definitely pass it along.

It cycles back to the user and then the next and back until the time is up.

Now, let's say all users are busy, you get hold music the entire time. Where this is problematic is that let's say you want to go to the next step if no one is available - you can't, they MUST reach that maximum call time, then it will transfer.

If you're wondering why that matters, imagine you use the queue for stacking agents and groups but want zero wait time.  Can't do it.

Or let's say you want the first 3 people to be serial/in order...... and then you have a group of 5 but you want them to ring simultaneously.  What you have to do then is build 2 queues, and have to wait on the minimum time on the first until it gets to the second.

Not good.

you have probably got this one sorted. Normally a phone system would go around the 2 users 30 secs each for 2 mins so they both ring twice for 30 secs then take the overflow to next destination.

It is always easy to work out set it up with some test users or can ask real users not to answers test calls and make test calls and see what is happening live then you know what you have to work with al always good to do a lot of testing with groups and overflows so you know how they work all system slightly different.