Notification Badges

Copper Contributor

Is anyone else having issues with notification badges not working? If i enable notification popups/balloons those work...but i just want the blink/red indicator as before.

26 Replies
Hi @Jackie Behrbom

The team provided this video solution to assist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYv11OtBzMY

Hi @Jackie Behrbom ,

If you're facing issues with notification badges not working in Microsoft Teams, where you're not receiving visual indicators for new messages or notifications, here are a few troubleshooting steps you can try:

1. Check notification settings: Ensure that your notification settings in Microsoft Teams are properly configured. Open Teams and go to your profile picture, then click on "Settings" > "Notifications." Make sure the appropriate notification options are enabled, such as "Banner and feed" or "Badge app icon."

2. Verify operating system settings: Confirm that your operating system settings allow notifications from Microsoft Teams. On Windows, go to "Settings" > "System" > "Notifications & actions" and make sure notifications for Teams are turned on. On macOS, go to "System Preferences" > "Notifications" and ensure that Teams is allowed to display notifications.

3. Restart Teams and the device: Sometimes, restarting Teams and your device can resolve notification issues. Close Teams completely and then relaunch it. Additionally, restart your computer or mobile device to refresh the system.

4. Clear Teams cache: Clearing the Teams cache can help resolve various issues, including notification problems. Close Teams, then navigate to the Teams cache location on your computer. The cache location varies depending on your operating system. Delete the contents of the cache folder and restart Teams.

5. Update Teams: Ensure that you have the latest version of Microsoft Teams installed. Outdated versions can sometimes have bugs or compatibility issues. Check for any available updates and install them if necessary.

6. Reinstall Teams: If the notification badges still don't work after trying the above steps, you can try uninstalling and reinstalling Teams. This can help resolve any potential software glitches or conflicts. Uninstall Teams from your device, then download the latest version from the official Microsoft website and reinstall it.

7. Check with IT support: If you're using Teams within an organization, it's possible that there are specific settings or policies in place that affect notification badges. Contact your organization's IT support or administrator for assistance and to ensure there are no restrictions or configurations that might be causing the issue.

8. Test on a different device: If possible, try using Microsoft Teams on a different device, such as a mobile phone or another computer, to see if the notification badges work correctly. This can help determine if the issue is specific to your device or account.

If none of the above steps resolve the problem, it's recommended to reach out to Microsoft Support or your organization's IT support for further assistance. They will have access to more specific information and can provide tailored guidance based on your situation.

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved

If you like my response, please give it a Like :smile:

Appreciate your Kudos! Proud to contribute! :)

I'm having this same issue with NEW Teams. No badge/ bubble indicator I have new messages on the icon in the taskbar. I was thinking they missed something with this new application.

@Ewilcosh THis is happening to me as well and it's driving me crazy! I have tried all of the recommended steps and nothing works. Only way I can see the little number on the icon on the taskbar is to switch back to the old version of teams :( 

It's weird, because other people in my office are not having this issue with their New Teams, they get the badge number - and it flashes saying a new message ... it's just me. My old version of teams was having an issue of requiring me to reinstall every day "download an update" everytime I restarted, Microsoft tried everything from clearing the cache, to registry edits... they had the ticket open for over a month trying to resolve my issue. New Teams works perfectly, no daily reinstall... so I closed the ticket with microsoft, only to have this start happening the very next day. argh.
Yes I am seeing the same thing I have a few people authorized to use the new client and I seem to be having it :(

@tarheelfan_1977 I am seeing this on my MAC as well. Wonder what is going on here.

Interesting. I am actually wiping my surface today to see if i can resolve it at least there. It is seriously driving me crazy.

same problem - have tried all to fix. @tarheelfan_1977 

Same issue here. Running "New" teams - my notification badges are gone. I still get the popup with new message notifications, but no badge.

Pretty sure I had it a couple of weeks ago, went on holidays, now I don't have it :(

Yup, people in my organization who had it working with new teams, are now starting to lose it... I'm not sure it works for some and not others..... frustrating.

@Ewilcosh Its driving me crazy I can't use the new version because I was missing to many notifications :( 

Interestingly enough, I have noticed that my phone has started pinging on every message that I get. I have it set to only notify me when not active on desktop.

I wonder if that is related to the lack of notification badges coming through on the desktop client.

Same issue here, new Teams seems not to have the badge icon which makes notifications easy to be missed.

This video did not touch on the problem in question
Mine came back today! I resarted, and I'm now getting the Notification badges *and flashing on the icon in my tray when I get a message! Woohoo! *With New Teams.

Hopefully you will all get this fix soon too!
when i last spoke with microsoft they said they had found the issue and will be rolling out to everyone - mine was fixed last week and sporadically being repaired across the office.
I am now receiving badges when using the new version on both my MAC and Windows machines. HOORAY!
Same problem here! In the old Teams, the green dot of the tray icon turned red when there was something unread. In the new Teams, the tray icon always stays the same, Teams icon with "NEW" label over it. Have they redirected notifications somewhere else? But then I wouldn't notice bc I've all this disturbing built-in notification stuff in Windows permanently deactivated.