SOLVED

MS Teams Video quality is terrible

Brass Contributor

I am a MS fan for the most part, but you guys need to fix this Teams video quality issue.  Our teams have been using it for weeks now and people are regularly getting blurry and poor audio / video quality.   We have been pushing people to Teams for the collaboration, etc, but they are pushing back to use Zoom.   Here is a video I put together showing this issue.  Please MS fix this asap.

https://youtu.be/aW3U16OKTiA

37 Replies
Seems that if you use the Teams web-app instead of the desktop-app, video quality will improve significantly.
(As a temporary workaround.)

@jsquaredz - The issue seems far more severe with high quality cameras. My Surface Pro cam works really well, Standard 720p or 1080 webcams seem to work quite well. My Brio 4K camera produces a very blurry image - even when I change the settings using the Logitech Camera Settings app down to 720p (not sure how this setting actually works technically). Image quality from Brio in the Win 10 camera app is excellent at any resolution and image quality in Zoom is also really good.

100% agree .. it is riduculous .. and everyone is spending soo much time "troubleshooting" .. MS Teams is overriding the resolution and the results are horrendous. Com'on MSF!

we are now 2021 November. ..
it is now November 2021 .. still same issue .. how is that!

@exportakademia Do you had a solution for this already?

Have the same problem. 4K camera has in teams a very bad quality. If i open Teams in the browser, i have a good quality.

I am not sure, but believe the video quality is OK in "the other end" (at the recievers), and that is the most important thing.
When previewing our own cam picture, i.e. before we connect to/join the meeting, the picture is still blurry when using the desktop app.
Hi Trond - you might be right, because I don't get real complaints for other participants. I does puzzle me why on earth Teams would do this on my own end. Doesnt make any sense to alter it on the client side right?
Thats not the case. Even the other end see a mindcraft view. if i open the camera in AMCAP, and set it to 360P, i has the same look. so Teams is not trying to get the highest resolution.
best response confirmed by Therese_Solimeno (Moderator)
Solution

[SOLVED]

I called with microsoft. The problems could be solved when you deleting the cache of Teams!

o            Close Teams (dont forget the background process)

o            Go to %appdata%\microsoft\teams

o            Delete all files and folders here

o            Start Teams again

The preview stays very bad quality, but when a call is made, the other end has "better" video. But it will be max 720P in teams.

@RonaldDJ 

Why has the moderator marked this thread as having a solution, clearing the cache does not work and there is no-one in this thread that has confirmed it as a fix!

I am having this issue too. I have tried updating Firmware, updating windows, checking driver versions etc - basically everything on these threads.

Teams App is still only broadcasting really poor video quality, but all other video meeting software I have tested (even Teams Web App) shows a high quality picture.

@Trond_Wibe I also have poor video quality video with my 4k camera. However, when someone else joins the meeting, it's not only the other side that gets full video quality but when I pin my own video, it's also in full quality for me. Also, the meeting recording also shows my stream in full quality.

So the issue seems to be only happening at initial meeting setup and only in the Teams desktop app (not the browser as already reported by @RonaldDJ).

BTW: I'm running the Teams desktop app in preview mode with version 1.5.00.5967 (64-bits).

Any update or fixes with this? just had terrible video quality and choppy audio ... changed to Google Meet and it was fine. 

But then when troubleshooting Teams an hour later, Teams was fine. 

Very confusing but I need to know this will be reliable. Are there certain settings tools that make higher quality videos more likely? E.g. Should I avoid the desktop app?

All thoughts / solutions welcome. Thank you! 

@wfGT I stumbled onto this thread while looking for fixes. A few things to note for Microsoft (i am sure they already know about this but just in case).

1. The Local version of the video changes depending on the source. Let me explain. I am using a Logitech c922. If i just use it in teams directly, the output is 360 ish... locally and remotely. However if i load LogiCapture and then select the virtual source in teams the local quality is improved to 720 and so is the remote.

2. If I join from my iPhone/iPad, i have no issues. The video quality is crystal clear no matter what (dependent on connection speed which is understandable)

3. I have tried the cache resolution, that did nothing.

Here is hoping that MSFT will look at this and improve the video resolution. There are days when my only human contact is via teams. It would be nice to see real people and not minecraft villagers :)

All that being said, i do love teams. Just wish the video quality could be addressed.

I'm having the same issue with the Brio on an M2 Macbook Pro and Teams. The preview window quality looks like 4K, but the actual call looks horrible.

@jsquaredz 

I'm having the same issue. I initially thought this was limited to my new Logitech Brio 4k camera but i've also just now noticed that my older 720p camera also is being transmitted it lower than 720p resolution when using the Teams desktop app. The drop in quality is more extreme with the Brio 4k camera which Teams won't even transmit at 1080p on the desktop client. I'm not sure how Microsoft and Logitech can market the devide as certified for MS Teams - although it does appear to be an issue with the Microsoft Teams app rather than the Logitech device which works better on the Teams web app.

@Farook_Naji, et al, 

I have seen a marked improvement in Teams video quality, not sure what exactly changed but my org is now seeing 1080P when all variables are of adequate quality, especially available bandwidth and low latency of local and Internet connectivity. I have tested one-to-one with other staff and a meeting including a Microsoft Teams room, all participants had high quality video. The quality of video was very detailed, so much so you could see single hair strands now (provided camera was seeing a head shot, like sitting in front of a desk monitor). 

Be sure to check Meeting policies and allow a bit rate where you'd like to aim or control bit rate too. I have set our tenant general policy to "16000" (16Mb). 

Here's a couple of good links to review: 

Prepare your organization's network for Teams - Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Learn

Microsoft Teams Bandwidth Usage Deep Dive | My Teams Lab 

Hope you see an improvement too. Our Teams meetings appear regularly to be better than Zoom now. 

@LorenBx 

I haven't seen any improvements, and remain on the latest client version. However, i have done some more testing and I think i may have come across the cause of the issue in my case.

I have conducted a Teams call in the desktop client by joining a meeting using my guest account on another Microsoft 365 Tenant. The video transmitted from the same device (and on the same network connection) on this call was much better. Looking at the call health, the resolution was hitting 1920 x 1080 and the sent video bitrate was much higher.

This leads me to believe that the issue in my case is with my organisation's meeting policy settings in the Teams Admin Center. Specifically the media bitrate setting is probably set much lower than is necessary. https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/meeting-policies-audio-and-video#media-bit-rate-kbp... 

Unfortunately i don't have the privileges to check this setting in the Teams Admin Center for my organisation.

The docs don't state that this setting should cause different behaviours between the web and desktop client so this may not be the real cause but there's definitely a difference in behaviour on the desktop client between meetings joined from different Tenants.