SOLVED

MS Teams crashes *sometimes* during Video calls/meetings

Copper Contributor

I've been researching an issue where several users are experiencing periodic Teams crashes always during a Video call/meeting. A call that crashes once is often successful right after, and the crashes don't follow any pattern. I haven't found any commonalities across hardware or drivers, and have been checking network quality pretty closely. It really seems like it's a Teams software issue. Is anyone else dealing with this kind of inconsistent stability?

The errors in logs (that I've seen) are always:

Renderer process crashed; rendererName=mainWindow; crashType=crashed; url=https://teams.microsoft.com; restarting app=YES

Other forum threads haven't been useful; they usually point to a software glitch that has since been patched, or some common hardware issue with a specific laptop model (Surface) or webcam (Logitech). 

I tried to figure out if I could disable GPU rendering (just as a test) and that doesn't appear to be an option. Is there another test we could try? This seems to be related to graphics rendering, particularly since it always happens during a beginning of a Video call or meeting, and the detail in the error logs...

I opened a Microsoft support case, but it's going no where fast, particularly since the issue isn't reproducible on-demand. 

In my various testing and research, I tried launching Teams from a command prompt window (thinking maybe "--disable-gpu" would be an option to launch with). It launched and then I stumbled upon this strange output; I eventually canceled with Ctrl+C and Teams closed. 

MemoryLeak.png

I think this is totally unrelated, but figured I'd share it in case it ends up being relevant. The messages sure look like Teams is experiencing a memory leak ("MaxListenersExceededWarning: Possible EventEmitter memory leak detected.").  In any case, this output was on a system where Teams has never crashed as described before, so probably not the best clue.

51 Replies
It is associated with the Realtek software and drivers. Read through the thread and the step by step solution was identified and posted. Works 100 percent of the time so far.

Microsoft Teams crashing during a conference call and screen sharing. ... Go to Users\YOUR_USER\AppData\Local\Microsoft and delete Teams and Teams[Something]Addon. Go to Users\YOUR_USER\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft and delete Teams. Re-install Teams

I am having the same issue , bizarrely only on Microsoft Surface Pro' 4 and 7's The rest of our estate is Dell and we dont have a problem.

I hope there is a fix as we are trying to promote teams and out high end users who use teams with Surface pros are finding it unworkable 

@ecmillion Hi, I have the same or a similar issue for way over a year now. In my situation my complete computer setup freezes. All three screens stay visible but are 'dead', mouse doesn't move, ctrl+alt+del doesn't work, ctrl+shft+esc doesn't work and sometimes a nasty sound is coming from the speakers. The only way back is hold the power knob on the computer until it shuts down and restart the whole computer. I first suspected the logitech brio 4k webcam. More specific I feared that several applications were trying to use the microphone and/or camera of the brio. Teams even crashes when the webcam isn't connected. I reinstalled Windows 10. Shut down all unneccesary tsr programs, disabled the hardware acceleration in MS Teams. No matter what I do, it keeps freezing my computer, mostly one time per one hour meeting, sometimes even two times. I try to stay positive about MS Teams, but I also work with Discord for my work, and there I don't have any of these problems. Just for the record my graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB. Oh, and by the way...HELP!

@Lorenz_MichelsDo you have REALTEK drivers installed and what is the make/model of your computer specifically. Thank you.

@TIER4TS 

Yes, there is a device "Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller" A NIC with driver RT640X64.SYS (9.1.410.2015, 695.28 KB(711.968 bytes), 2019-06-04 20:44.

It isn't an of the shelve PC, it's built on specifications:

ProcessorInteli7-4770 3.40GHz 4 Core(s) 8 logical processors
CPU CoolerIntelwith processor
MoederbordGigabyteGA-Z87M-D3H
RamgeheugenKingston8GB DDR3 1600MHz Kit
VideokaartNVIDIAGeForce GTX 1060 3GB
DVD BranderSamsungSH-224BB DVD Brander
VoedingBe-QuietPure Power L8 CM 430W
BehuizingChieftecSD-01B-B
DisksSamsungSSD 850 EVO 500GB
 SamsungSSD 860 EVO 1TB
 SeagateST1000DM03-1CH162
 SeagateST8000AS0002-1NA17Z

@Lorenz_MichelsThis issue was solved in our forum response on May 14th now buried in the replies of this thread. Here they are:

We have confirmed that the resolution is also as follows @KDubs:

Go into Control Panel and then ADD/REMOVE Programs

Remove the Realtek High Definition Audio Driver (Publisher Realtek Semiconductor Corp.) Program

It will prompt you to reboot the computer, do not reboot yet

Go into DEVICE MANAGER

Scroll down to Sound, Video and Game Controllers (expand)

Double Click "Realtek Audio"

Click Driver Tab

Click Update Driver

Click Browse My Computer for Driver Software (Locate and install driver software manually)

Click "Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer"

Select "High Definition Audio Device"

Click Next

A pop-up will state "Installing this device driver is not recommended because Windows cannot verify that it is compatible with your hardware..."

Click Yes to the pop-up

You will receive a screen that states "Windows has successfully updated your drivers"

Click Close

Click Close again

Answer yes to RESTART YOUR COMPUTER NOW

Problem is resolved. On occasion if the issue presents itself again, it will require changing from the native REALTEK driver to the Microsoft High Definition Audio Driver.

This has worked 100% of the time so far. Microsoft has some homework to do on this issue.

@TIER4TS 

I do not have the option to select Select "High Definition Audio Device"
Realtek drivers.png

@MilwankeIf you would like, I can perform a quick remote session with you and assist. Drop me a direct message to laryh@tier4ts.com and I will give you instructions and step you through real quick.

best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

@TIER4TS 

Thanks, but I found what these instructions should say. (my updates are in BOLD)

Go into Control Panel and then “Programs and Features”

Remove the Realtek Audio Driver (Publisher Realtek Semiconductor Corp.) Program

It will prompt you to reboot the computer, do not reboot yet

Go into DEVICE MANAGER

Scroll down to Sound, Video and Game Controllers (expand)

Double Click "Realtek Audio"

Click Driver Tab

Click Update Driver

Click “Browse My Computer for Driver Software” (Locate and install driver software manually)

Click "Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer"

Uncheck “Show compatible hardware”

For “Manufacturer” select Microsoft

For “Model” select High Definition Audio Device Version [most recent date]

Click Next

A pop-up will state "Installing this device driver is not recommended because Windows cannot verify that it is compatible with your hardware..."

Click Yes to the pop-up

You will receive a screen that states "Windows has successfully updated your drivers"

Click Close

Click Close again

Answer yes to RESTART YOUR COMPUTER NOW

@Lorenz_Michels Hi, I finally found the SOLUTION to my specific problem. I turned of the onboard graphics card (Intel) via the BIOS and now all works fine!! So it wasn't a problem of MS Teams, neither the microphone nor the webcam. Since I use the NVIDIA graphics card to lighten up my three monitors and beamer, the onboard graphics card wasn't used. Apparently it still tried to interfere causing problems. 

Hi,

We're issueing this problem at the moment.
Was the colution mentioned above a good solution?

Kind regards, Viktor