SOLVED

Changes to meeting recordings - saved to OneDrive and SharePoint instead of Stream.

Silver Contributor

Hello!

This is a rather big change and something I just want to send a heads up to all. Obviously it's posted in Message center (MC222640) and this is a copy/paste of the information for those who don't have access.

--------------

We’re changing the storage for new Teams meeting recordings to be stored on, and served from, OneDrive and SharePoint (ODSP) - instead of Microsoft Stream (Classic). Customers are able to opt in, opt out, or take no action with regard to these changes.

This change will apply to customers who either opt in or take no action following this announcement.

Key points:

• Microsoft 365 Roadmap ID: 67138
  • Timing:
    • Early October (October 5, 2020) – You can enable the Teams Meeting policy to have meeting recordings saved to OneDrive and SharePoint instead of Microsoft Stream (Classic)
    • End of October (October 31, 2020) – Meeting recordings in OneDrive and SharePoint will have support for English captions via the Teams transcription feature.
    • Early to mid-November (Rolling out between November 1 -15 , 2020) – All new Teams meeting recordings will be saved to OneDrive and SharePoint unless you delay this change by modifying your organization’s Teams Meeting policies and explicitly setting them to “Stream”
    • Q1 2021 – No new meeting recordings can be saved to Microsoft Stream (Classic); all customers will automatically have meeting recordings saved to OneDrive and SharePoint even if they’ve changed their Teams meeting policies to Stream”
  • Rollout: Tenant level
  • Control: Admin via PowerShell

How this will affect your organization:

This change impacts your organization in several ways:

• New features

The move to ODSP immediately unlocks long-awaited features including external and guest sharing, retention policy application (https://docs.microsoft.com/microsoft-365/compliance/apply-retention-labels-automatically), GoLocal support, and BYOK support for customers, with improved transcription quality, speaker attribution, transcript content search, and other features to follow in CY2021.

• Meeting storage

Non-Channel meetings will be stored in the OneDrive of the person who clicked the record button in a special folder labeled “Recordings” – that sits at the top of the recorder’s OneDrive. Channel meetings will be stored in a folderlabeled “Recordings” under a folder named after the channel under the Team’s document library.

• Permissions

All meeting invitees - except for external users – in non-channel meetings will automatically get a shared link to access the meeting recording. External users will need to be explicitly added to the shared list by the meeting organizer or the person that clicked the record button. For Channel meetings, permissions will be inherited from the owners and members list in the channel.

• Feature gaps

The following gaps exist today:

• Ability to block download of the video by meeting participants
    • Ability to view and edit the transcript in the player, but closed captions will be present
    • Non-English language transcripts/captions
    • Variable playback speed in video player

Transcript timeframe search (e.g., to find a specific point in time when something was discussed)

What you need to do to prepare:

Customers are able to opt in, opt out, or take no action with regard to these changes. Changes in this communication will apply to customers who either opt in or take no action.

Tenant admins can opt in or opt out of OneDrive and SharePoint as the Teams meeting recording storage location via a Teams policy in PowerShell. Additionally, customers who wish to have captions for their meetings will need to enable transcript recording in Teams.

In Q1 CY2021, saving Teams meeting recordings to Microsoft Stream (Classic) will no longer be allowed​. Precise dates will be communicated in a subsequent post.

Learn more: Use OneDrive for Business and SharePoint or Stream for meeting recordings

82 Replies

@ChristianBergstrom Thanks. I've seen this. Unfortunately it doesn't answer my questions. Firstly it says 'we are working on adding closed captions in October'. It's almost December and I cannot see captions. Secondly, I cannot see where it explains where external users would see the 'request access' flow.

The information I've got to work with, including roadmap ID: 67138 and 68761 are a bit vague. It makes preparing communication and training material for our business very difficult.

@giannib Well, bear in mind that this is work in progress. Not all features that are going to be available are available right now. I haven't tried to verify it myself as I'm swamped but if you know that you have all the prerequisites in place, such as settings and the Teams policies, then you know it's not implemented yet. The latest I heard though was that closed captions are not yet available in Teams meeting recordings on OneDrive and SharePoint, so you would have to use Stream (opt out).

As for the request flow you're talking about I'm not sure what scenario you're referring to but the docs says "Share recordings with guests (external users) with explicit share only".

Have a look at these.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/play-and-share-a-meeting-recording-in-teams-7d7e5dc5-9ae4... 

https://microsoft365pro.co.uk/2020/10/11/teams-real-simple-with-pictures-opting-into-sharepoint-oned... 

@ChristianBergstrom - thanks for the update.  From my perspective this is a step backwards in having people use O365 as one place to do everything.  I regularly have 2, 3 or 4 meetings scheduled at the same time and I've been getting everyone to record the meetings so I can watch back at x2 speed to catch up. Will this feature be added in to OneDrive videos?  To get the same experience I now need to download and upload the same meetings to Microsoft Stream.  This is a manual process rather than the automated process you had before.

Also as someone who regularly records meetings for others this is going to eat away at my OneDrive storage.  Is there a plan to increase OneDrive storage capacity to compensate?

Regards

Ben

Hi! As for the ”feature gap” I can’t say really. But I know they are aiming to bring over the ones missing today. It will not happen until ~Q1 though as far as I know.

For most subscription plans, the default storage space for each user's OneDrive is 1024 GB. Depending on your plan and the number of licensed users, you can increase this storage up to 5 TB. One hour recording is about 400 MB.

If applicable you could use channel meetings as well (recordings go to SharePoint). See the table here

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/tmr-meeting-recording-change#permissions-or-role-bas...

@ChristianBergstrom   Currently, we only allow specific people to record meetings via Teams policy.   However, we do not want them to automatically save to the cloud, so we disable Stream, which forces the user to download the recording locally.   Since we cannot disable Sharepoint and OneDrive, is there going to be a way to prevent recordings from being saved to the cloud and continue to force users to download them?

Hello, as I understand it you’re already controlling this as you’re using policies for who’s allowed to record. But why would you like to prevent the automatic cloud storage in OneDrive/SharePoint? From my experience people will find other ways to share, such as third-party storage providers (if not disabled or by using sensitivity labels etc).

When you opt-in, or later being switched automatically, to the new storage location you’ll end up with the options and permissions as described in the docs (see below).

Azure Media Services will still be used for the recordings and will be uploaded to OneDrive/SharePoint if possible. If not, due to license for ex. the recordings will be downloadable from Azure, as in your current scenario.

For reference.

https://petri.com/stream-moves-sharepoint

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/tmr-meeting-recording-change

Hi @ChristianBergstrom,

One limitation of the feature is the "ability to block download of the video by meeting participants". Should I read this the same as not being able to avoid that the meeting recording is published in the meeting chat?

I had a scheduled meeting with several attendants and after the meeting, the recording was posted in the chat available for all. Can I avoid the posting of the recording?

thank you

@ruka Hello! Many improvements are coming as this is work in progress. I'm attaching a couple of links below.

Basically everyone invited to the meeting will be able to view the recording. You can see exactly how it works here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/tmr-meeting-recording-change#permissions-or-role-bas... On the other hand by using channel recordings every other member’s permissions are based on the channel SharePoint permissions.

Do note as the recordings end up in your OneDrive (not channel meetings) you can control/stop access.

The improvements I mentioned (more coming)

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/roadmap?filters=&searchterms=70543 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/roadmap?filters=&searchterms=68761 

hello @ChristianBergstrom, thank you for your reply.

I hope I understand the improvements that you shared. I have seen them before, but do you think they would address the scenario that I am facing? In my case its not about the ability to download the recording, but instead, the fact that a message (incl a thumbnail) of the recording is posted and shared in the meeting chat.

In my scenario, I created a meeting event, which I am the host, to let's say 50 external users to my organization. As they join the meeting and admitted as guests, they have access to chat and other functionalities within the meeting event. At the end of the meeting, a chat event is left on your chatbox, and within that, as part of the chat tab (where you can see the attended join/left log) there will be the thumbnail of the recording.

Whether the guests can download/play or not the recording is a separate part of the process. For me its about the posting of the recording.

In the end, my problem with this behavior is that if the guests are external to my organization, they will not have access to neither SharePoint or Onedrive and therefore they will not have access to the recording, so for me, making them aware that a file is available and not being able to consume is "inconvenient".

@ruka Hi, as far as I know the meeting recording link always end up in the meeting chat, or channel if it's a channel meeting. I haven't heard anything about removing that link. Perhaps that will change. But you can at least control access (permissions and ability to download).

Btw, this is a great addition as well https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/roadmap?filters=&searchterms=68853 

Is this still rolling out? As we made the change to the global policy as outlined and confirmed using the relevant PowerShell command. But nearly two days later and we are still seeing stream as the storage location for channel meeting recordings.

@ChristianBergstrom 

I tried testing this to our tenant. This is my scenario:

• 2 internal users in the call (the organizer and another presenter)
  • One user does the recording
  • Recording is visible in the chat
  • The one who triggered the recording sees it in their OneDrive storage
  • PROBLEM: The other user sees the recording in chat, however, sees the error as seen in my screenshot below.

Am I missing any setting?

natpascual1330_0-1612343723374.png

@natpascual1330 Hi, the permissions follow the meeting type and who clicked on record. The storage location also depends on this Use OneDrive for Business and SharePoint for meeting recordings - Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Docs

If all seems to be OK but still get the error message you might be better of creating a support ticket with Microsoft. If you're not an admin yourself reach out to your IT admin to get help with that.

@ChristianBergstrom 

Noted on that. Here's another set of screenshots based on the permissions. Which is weird, it says it's shared with me (Nat Pascual), but if I check my permission, it says The user might not be able to access the item. But, at the bottom it says I have Read permissions. Am I understanding my having Read permissions wrong?

natpascual1330_2-1612398696743.png

natpascual1330_0-1612398545555.png

@natpascual1330 Hello, when you record a non-channel meeting the recording end up in OneDrive, depending on meeting type and who clicked on record the location and permissions will differ. When you record a channel meeting the recording end up in SharePoint (permissions are inherited). So compare the table with what you're doing. If it doesn't work as intended I suggest opening a support ticket with Microsoft.

@ChristianBergstrom 

So currently in the Stream portal, global admins have the ability to manage all videos in Stream. I am assuming this will be taken away and revert back to SharePoint/OneDrive permissions.

Is this correct?

Also how long will the Stream portal be available for recordings currently held there?

Neil

@neilcarden Hi, I've never been a "Stream admin" managing recordings, but the process and permissions will differ when the change is made to the new storage locations. Classic Stream will be retired eventually.

You can read all about in the attached links.

Use OneDrive for Business and SharePoint for meeting recordings - Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Docs

Microsoft Stream (Classic) to the new Stream migration - Microsoft Stream | Microsoft Docs

@ChristianBergstromDoes this mean that the recordings now get saved indefinitely?