Cannot see meeting participants or my own video

Copper Contributor

I have been using the new teams app, but when I join a meeting no video of the participants or myself shows up on my screen. They can all see and hear me fine but I cannot see them. I just get a black box where their video should be.

I have two accounts I use it for, and I'm running it on a Dell G15 personal laptop. The app works fine on my work computer.

When I minimise the teams app the speaker shows up fine in the little box that remains, but that is the only way I can see anyone. It is exceptionally disconcerting and frustrating. I have cleared the app data, uninstalled and reinstalled teams, updated the app, updated windows and nothing has worked. I can run teams from a browser and it works fine.

Good grief please help me out here.

7 Replies

@Chridat The easiest way is to reinstall teams Or 

New:

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Packages\MSTeams_8wekyb3d8bbwe

Classic

%appdata%\Microsoft\Teams

Adjusted instructions that cover both app types.

1. If Teams is still running, right-click the Teams icon in the taskbar, and then select Quit.

2. Open the Run dialog box by pressing the Windows logo key + R

3. In the Run dialog box, copy/paste:

• new Teams app: C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Packages\MSTeams_8wekyb3d8bbwe

• classic Teams app: %appdata%\Microsoft\Teams

4. Delete all files and folders in the directory.

5. Restart Teams.

HIi @paul keijzers, I've tried both of them. Same result. Webcam is running, shows up fine in other apps, but no video of me or participants.

@Chridat I would suggest to create a ticket as this method should have solved the issue.

I have the same issue on my i7 desktop, as well as my new Nitro i9 laptop.  On both machines,  if I remove the new Teams, classic Teams works well.  However, after each use of Teams, I get the message "The new Teams is installed and ready to use .... Switch now, or Switch when I am not using Teams." In other words it FORCES you to switch to the Beta version of Teams.

2024-03-12_19-22-01.jpg

I now appear to have no choice but to make the new Teams work, since I cannot keep on doing this before each meeting. Please help .....

@David_Frykberg 

OK, after much messing around, and finally getting hold for MS support, I was told that "new Teams" is still in Beta testing, and that I should disable it by setting "Classic Teams as default"  this is how to proceed:

Go to: https://admin.teams.microsoft.com/policies/updatemanagement 

Proceed as shown below:

2024-03-12_21-41-59.jpg

Good luck!

@David_Frykbergthis doesn't work if you don't have access to the admin center.

Hmmm, you are correct. I suggest you forward to your administrator who will then be able set a group policy. Good luck!