Want to create a Form for Hiring process, but should have 3 level approval

Copper Contributor

Dear All,

I want to create a Form, in which the user creates a Requisition for his team along with few more information.

However, this has to go to his Manager for approval, after which it has to  go to the Department Head.

Could you please guide me as to how I accomplish this.

Thanks

18 Replies

However, this has to go to his Manager for approval, after which it has to go to the Department Head.

??

add a column approval to downloaded excel. questionnaire result?

@sunilbsrv2k It can also be done with a flow in Power Automate which gets the form response and then you can have several levels of approval. 

Rob
Los Gallardos
Microsoft Power Automate Community Super User.
Principal Consultant, SharePoint and Power Platform WSP Global (and classic 1967 Morris Traveller driver)

Thank you very much, Let me try this option. Also, other than "Approvals", is there any other App in Teams that can be used for this purpose?
Thank you very much. Could you please give me little more info on this process
Online Recruit user2: applicants-fill form-submit new recordmanager: direct leader-view all records-edit approved with approved and reject-filter by kewwords head: Department Head-view approved records only-filter by keywords

https://m.toutiao.com/article/7324872277139522088/?app=news_article_lite&group_id=732487227713952208...
There may be some third-party apps in Teams with the same functionality, but I am not familiar with them.

Hi @sunilbsrv2k 

Rob's suggestion is the way I do it too.

Have a play with this Start an approval process and send email on Microsoft Form submission | Microsoft Power Automate

With a bit of practice and research (Google search), you can create some terrific workflows that meet your needs and on which you can build more sophisticated solutions from.

Good luck

Damien

P.S. Yes, I used Google. Don't unfriend me Microsoft :grinning_face_with_sweat:

Hi Damien,

Thanks for your response. I tried few things with MS Forms - Power Automate combination... but it didnt work.

Hence wanted to check if there was any other way. I have now tried "Approvals" app and it has worked to a certain extent. But I am not able to load any data available to me in a file.

Hi @sunilbsrv2k 

That workflow you've started has you heading in the right direction. You can add to it and have that data downloaded to a file or to a SharePoint list, etc as you require.

I suggest mapping your process flow so you can further adjust the solution in Power Automate.

Let us know how you want to proceed and we'll do our best as a community to support you where we can.

Cheers

Damien

P.S. In the meantime, you can explore the options for downloading content to a file such as below. It will simply depend on how you want the output to be (via email, email attachment, PDF, word doc, HTML file, etc):

DamienRosario_0-1705533941868.png

Hi @Damien Rosario,

Thank you so much for your kind words.

I have created the form as a template and it looks to be good. One of the Teams want to use it.

However, this form does not have any uinque ID column.

So I have 2 questions here:

1. how to get unique ID for each form submitted.
For example: if there are 20 to 30 forms submitted over a period of time; if I want to search for a particular Request, how to work around it.

2. also is there a possibility of displaying a table that I have in my Excel file that contains some hiring data, so that the approver can refer to it and Approve

Thanks
Sunil B S
Excel file that contains some hiring data?
Is the Excel file downloaded from MS Forms quiz result?
If you show some data,it maybe easier to be understood.

@sunilbsrv2k Just look at the spreadsheet behind the form responses, it has an ID column.

For the Excel table you might have trouble adding it into an approval email as the detail field is in markdown.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Microsoft Power Automate Community Super User.
Principal Consultant, SharePoint and Power Platform WSP Global (and classic 1967 Morris Traveller driver)

Hi @Rob_Elliott,
I have created this form in "Approvals" app in Teams, as I could not find multi-level approval option in MS Forms.

Regarding the details, it is about the Hiring data, like "Present Headcount", Required Head Count" etc are stored in a file. When the approver gets the request to approve, he should be able to view those details in the Form itself, rather than going to some other file. Wanted to check if it is possible?

Please Note: I have a question regarding another task, for which I will be creating another thread.

Thanks

Hi @sunilbsrv2k 

Hopefully, my mock-up flow below will give you some ideas to assist you in your solution. Can possibly do a teams meeting to deep dive into the requirements if our timezones allow.

Here's a simple flow where I can extract the submitter automatically from the form and then use those details to look up their manager (assuming your org has populated this detail in the Office 365 account). I then trigger an approval to the manager and once approved, it will notify the Department Manager to also approve/reject.

DamienRosario_0-1705626554526.png

Your first question - 1. - To get the Form ID of the submission, you need to reference the Response id field. This will mirror what you see in the results Excel spreadsheet of the form.

DamienRosario_2-1705626884225.png

Your second question - 2. - You could put a URL in the approval email to the live spreadsheet that the Department Head can review before approving. Not sure if you can embed live data as I have never tried, but the link to the data source should be sufficient I'd say.

Observation

I did see that you may have been indicating to have the entire process in one form. If this is so, it can't be done as once the form is submitted, it can't be revisited by others.

The approval process I've highlighted will allow each touch point to manage their part and then flow to the next person.

DamienRosario_3-1705627195145.png

I suggest using a SharePoint list or something like it to capture each submission and each response in a single record. Then you can search for the desired ID and can see the status for each item that you need to action.

This way, all information is captured in a single source and will be easy to filter and action.

Hope that helps in some way. Happy to chat more or to be corrected if I have misunderstood anything.

Best wishes

Damien

Hi Damien,

Thank you so much for your detailed answers and observations.

As you mentioned, even I would like to have a call than a chat as this will be limited.

Further, its true that I am trying to implement both in one form and the form is created in the "Approvals" app of Teams.

The Process flow mentioned in your answer, the Response ID etc , I guess, are part of the Power Automate and MS Forms.

And the options in the "Approval" forms are limited. Hence requesting your guidance.
I am facing some issue in Power Automate and hence Process flow is failing.

Thanks and Regards
Sunil
Hi All,

As per your guidance, I have created form in MS Teams... and I can give up to 10 Approval levels.

However, is there a way I can create form with few questions and "Rating" alongside?

Thanks and Regards
Sunil B S

@sunilbsrv2k no, questions are always vertical, you can't have a rating alongside another question.