Disabling Verification Code Email

Copper Contributor

Hi

Is it possible to disable the need for the verification code email when booking a meeting through Bookings with me? 

Thanks

10 Replies

Hi @Kelvin_Lim2395,

This is a by design behavior for additional security. This verification code is not required for an user who is logged into a Microsoft account. Hope this info helps. If this is an enhancement request, will submit this ask for the product prioritization.

Thank you!

@Sreereji we are testing out Bookings, and I got prompted to verify my email even though I was logged in to my Microsoft account. It didn't even ask for my email address, it picked it up from my logged-in account, but then it asked me to verify it, which is extremely confusing.

The booking and the account are both in the same tenant.

Are you 100% sure that what you said is the intended behaviour? If so, then this is a pretty serious bug.

I understand the security desires here but for non technical guest users, requiring a verification code might scare them away. We have used Calendly forever and want to switch over to Bookings but this verification code functionality is a barrier to adoption. Can it be added to the product as optional? @Sreereji 

Same here, customer experience is terrible with the verification code.
There should be an option to disable this feature. It's a roadblock in the name of a feature.
No other popular scheduling apps are authenticating users and it's working fine for them.
I am also being confronted with this issue, which suggests that the Personal Bookings site was not properly tested for "real-world" usage. Here's what I mean by that... In my testing, I sent an email invite to my personal Gmail account and tried to respond from my phone. The problem is not only that I'm being asked for a code, but if I go back to my Gmail inbox to retrieve the code, the whole process starts over and requires a new code to be sent again...

However, the workaround that I found was to create a "Shared" shared booking page, which is not ideal for my scenario, but allows you to forego the code requirement.

@James_Spadaro thanks for the feedback. Was trying to understand the scenario better. 

Step 1) Send the Bookings page link to my gmail. 

Step 2) Open the gmail app and click on the link

Step 3) This link opens in a browser and I use "Continue As Guest" 

Step 4) This will require OTP. I type in my gmail id

Step 5) I check the OTP from my gmail app

Step 6) The enter the OTP in the browser and the Booking is complete.

If you are using gmail from your browser, I suggest you open the Bookings page link in a New Tab. Hope this helps and you can continue to use Personal Bookings.

Hi, just want to add my voice to others that I would like to disable this feature. Other booking sites like Calendly do not have this. So it creates a much worse experience for the booker and is direct barrier to me using Bookings. This is frustrating as I would much prefer to use Bookings due to the ease of integration.

This would not be an issue at all if I were the person booking and appointment with myself, but that's not the scenario. The scenario is that someone else, who is probably less-savvy than me sees my booking page, attempts to book a meeting and ends up in the endless Gmail loop because they're not savvy enough to open the page in their browser. 

It sounds like a minor issue and an easy work around for someone who knows how to open the link in their browser from Gmail, but most people are not tech savvy enough to know that...basically making Bookings pages unusable in "real world" scenarios. 

I do appreciate the response and I was able to figure that out on my own, but I am 110% certain that most users will not figure that out. 

@Sreereji 

@Kelvin_Lim2395 

I hate to be a cynic, but Microsoft never misses an opportunity to encourage people to sign up with a Microsoft account - and they see Bookings not as an alternative to Calendly, but as a way to drive more people to create an Outlook account. When Microsoft Bookings prompts someone to log in or sign up, THAT is the product. Bookings is just the marketing wrapper around the "Sign up for a Microsoft Account" product.