SOLVED

Outlook Inbox not updating

Copper Contributor

Hello,

when using the Mail & Calender App on Win 10, everything works fine. But now Windows forces me to use the new Outlook App. When using Outlook my Inbox is not updating, it shows me 2 months old mails on top of the list. Same goes for using the web version outlook.com. My inbox is not updating even though I get new mails everyday. I have to search new mails by using the search bar.

I tried to do some research and found blog and forum posts about deleting the Outlook cache. I tried it, I could't find the folder so I went and deinstalled Outlook and installed the old Mail App. Everything worked fine for 2 days. I received new mails like I should. But then again I got forced to move to the new Outlook App. Now it shows me my 2 months old Mails again.

What confuses me is why the web version is not working correctly too? My local cache files shouldn't have any influence on the web version.

Anybody here that can help me? Thanks in advance.

9 Replies

@rntsn 

Any luck from the logs in Windows?

best response confirmed by rntsn (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi, @rntsn. There are a number of reasons why your Outlook Inbox may not be updating correctly. Here are some potential issues and their resolutions:

• Disable Cached Exchange Mode: This option allows you to work offline with your emails, but it may cause sync problems if it’s enabled. To disable it, go to File > Account Settings > Account Settings. Select your Office 365 email account and click Change. Under Offline Settings, uncheck Use Cached Exchange Mode. Click Next and then restart Outlook.

• Manually Update Your Email Folders: Sometimes, Outlook may not sync your emails automatically. You can force the app to update your folders by clicking the Send/Receive All Folders button in the Send/Receive tab of the ribbon.

• Change Your Email Sorting Order: It’s possible that your emails are sorted in a way that the newest ones are not at the top of the list. You can change the sorting order by clicking the By Date option (or whatever it says) at the top of your email list. Choose Newest on top to see the most recent emails first.

• Repair Your Email Account in Outlook: If the above steps don’t work, you may need to repair your email account in Outlook. This will check and fix any issues with your account settings. To do this, go to File > Account Settings > Account Settings. Select your Office 365 email account and click Repair. Follow the instructions on the screen and then restart Outlook.

• Clear Your Outlook App Cache: Sometimes, the app cache may get corrupted and cause sync issues. You can clear the cache by deleting the Outlook folder in %localappdata%\Microsoft. To do this, press Windows + R to open the Run dialog box. Type %localappdata%\Microsoft and press Enter. Find the Outlook folder and delete it. Then, restart Outlook.

• Update Your Outlook App: Make sure you have the latest version of Outlook installed on your computer. You can check for updates by going to File > Office Account > Update Options > Update Now. If there are any updates available, install them and then restart Outlook.

• Repair Your Outlook App: If none of the above steps work, you may need to repair your Outlook app. This will fix any errors or issues with the app itself. To do this, go to Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features. Find Microsoft Office 365 and right-click on it. Choose Change. Select Quick Repair or Online Repair and follow the instructions on the screen. Then, restart Outlook.

I hope this helps!

~Jesse

My Emails were not sorted by time. I feel like a dummy. Thank you for this post and for poitning out the smallest things that people use to overlook.

@Jezur 

My Email account email address removed for privacy reasons hasn´t updated in a while. I believe it may have been hacked into and is probably blocked. I tried to reach to Tech support but no luck

Nothing works. I believe the problem is at the Exchange. I can send Emails, but not receive them. I am actually forwarding Emails to another account.

believe i found the fix for this issue. i was having the same problem with the inbox saying last updated message. if you go to send/ recieve tab and update you will get a message that the storage limit is maxed. if this is the case you will need to go into your registry to increase that number. you can go on youtube and type outlook has reached max size and find plenty of walkthrough. for the most part you will need to navigate to the below regs depening on your version of office 

Outlook 2016: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\PST Outlook 2013: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Outlook\PST Outlook 2010: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook\PST Outlook 2007: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\PST Outlook 2003: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\PST

once you have the correct one and go to the pst folder you will create 2 dword  32 files 

MaxLargeFileSize - Decimal - 102400(100gb) you can adjust these numbers for your size

WarnLargeFileSize - Decimal - 97280(95gb)

restart.  

Thanks Jezur, the fifth option works for me: clear the Outlook app cache. ♥

Hello @maryweng, so you deleted the entire Outlook folder? Does the process recreate the Outlook folder and regenerate all the files that were in the folder including all Outlook Data files?

Hi @Dewuyi10, yes those were recreated.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by rntsn (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi, @rntsn. There are a number of reasons why your Outlook Inbox may not be updating correctly. Here are some potential issues and their resolutions:

• Disable Cached Exchange Mode: This option allows you to work offline with your emails, but it may cause sync problems if it’s enabled. To disable it, go to File > Account Settings > Account Settings. Select your Office 365 email account and click Change. Under Offline Settings, uncheck Use Cached Exchange Mode. Click Next and then restart Outlook.

• Manually Update Your Email Folders: Sometimes, Outlook may not sync your emails automatically. You can force the app to update your folders by clicking the Send/Receive All Folders button in the Send/Receive tab of the ribbon.

• Change Your Email Sorting Order: It’s possible that your emails are sorted in a way that the newest ones are not at the top of the list. You can change the sorting order by clicking the By Date option (or whatever it says) at the top of your email list. Choose Newest on top to see the most recent emails first.

• Repair Your Email Account in Outlook: If the above steps don’t work, you may need to repair your email account in Outlook. This will check and fix any issues with your account settings. To do this, go to File > Account Settings > Account Settings. Select your Office 365 email account and click Repair. Follow the instructions on the screen and then restart Outlook.

• Clear Your Outlook App Cache: Sometimes, the app cache may get corrupted and cause sync issues. You can clear the cache by deleting the Outlook folder in %localappdata%\Microsoft. To do this, press Windows + R to open the Run dialog box. Type %localappdata%\Microsoft and press Enter. Find the Outlook folder and delete it. Then, restart Outlook.

• Update Your Outlook App: Make sure you have the latest version of Outlook installed on your computer. You can check for updates by going to File > Office Account > Update Options > Update Now. If there are any updates available, install them and then restart Outlook.

• Repair Your Outlook App: If none of the above steps work, you may need to repair your Outlook app. This will fix any errors or issues with the app itself. To do this, go to Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features. Find Microsoft Office 365 and right-click on it. Choose Change. Select Quick Repair or Online Repair and follow the instructions on the screen. Then, restart Outlook.

I hope this helps!

~Jesse

View solution in original post