"New Outlook" Inbox not updating

Copper Contributor

In the "New Outlook" (which appears identical to the current web version of outlook): whenever I get a new email, I will get a notification and the unread counter next to my inbox tab will increase by one... but the email itself will not appear in the inbox UNTIL I click out of the inbox and back into it! It doesn't appear that the inbox can refresh itself "on-the-fly" as new emails come in, it only refreshes itself when it is loaded up! Are others experiencing this issue? I see @svhelden posted about it a year ago but they said a software update fixed it... to me it seems to still be occurring with both the desktop and web app.

7 Replies

@jmartin411  Hopping on the thread to (hopefully) see the answer. Mine is doing the same thing on both web & desktop versions. I can get it to refresh by clicking the Filter-all option, so it's not too terrible, but still annoying. 

I'm not sure exactly when mine started doing this, but it was sometime in the last couple weeks. 

@jmartin411 

Also started noticing this happening to me on the desktop version of new outlook starting 4/11/24 but this was not an issue at all for me before 4/3/24. In order to see that new emails have come into my outlook I need to literally click on each folder to see if there are new emails hiding in the folders because outlook is not displaying new email numbers next to folders with new emails in them. Also, despite having notifications enabled, now since this issue has come up I am no longer receiving new email notifications on my machine either despite notifications for calendar items appearing for me without issue. This is causing delays in my response to timely issues if I am not manually interacting with outlook throughout the work day. This is really inconvenient and this bug should be reviewed and resolved by Microsoft asap. The number of issues and flagship features that are missing from new outlook is really alarming. 

If you're experiencing issues with the "New Outlook" not updating to show new emails in the inbox until you manually refresh it, here are a few steps you can try to troubleshoot the problem:

1. **Check Internet Connection:** Ensure that your internet connection is stable and not experiencing any disruptions. Sometimes, a poor internet connection can affect the ability of the inbox to update in real-time.

2. **Clear Browser Cache:** If you're using the web version of Outlook, try clearing your browser cache and cookies. A corrupted cache or cookies can sometimes cause issues with web applications.

3. **Try a Different Browser:** If the issue persists, try accessing Outlook using a different web browser to see if the problem is browser-specific.

4. **Update Browser and Outlook:** Make sure that your web browser is up-to-date with the latest version, as well as the Outlook app if you're using the desktop version. Sometimes, outdated software can cause compatibility issues.

5. **Check for Updates:** Keep an eye out for any updates or patches released by Microsoft for Outlook.
Here are a few additional steps you can try to troubleshoot the problem:

1. **Check for Service Status:** Visit the Microsoft 365 Service Status page to see if there are any reported issues or outages with the Outlook service. Sometimes, service disruptions can affect the functionality of Outlook.

2. **Disable Add-ins:** If you're using the desktop version of Outlook, try disabling any add-ins or plugins that you've installed. Sometimes, third-party add-ins can cause conflicts and affect the performance of Outlook.

3. **Reset Outlook Settings:** In the desktop version of Outlook, you can try resetting the Outlook settings to their default values. This can help resolve any configuration issues that may be causing the problem.

4. **Reinstall Outlook:** If the issue persists, consider reinstalling the desktop version of Outlook. This can help fix any corrupted files or settings that may be causing the problem.
This isn't relevant, it refers to the send/receive button which is a feature of "old" outlook and not present in "new" outlook
These solutions did not work. @BenGSL and @Amanda_Rae I had a troubleshooting session on this yesterday with an IT professional from my organization. He could not solve the problem. It was not occurring on his machine, with the same version of Outlook and same settings, but was occurring on mine. He told me our organization is not supporting the move to "new" Outlook because of this and other issues that have been reported. I quote, "it is a very watered down version of Outlook"