Newsfeed together with Yammer?

Iron Contributor

A few years ago, with introducing Yammer, we have disabled Newsfeed in SharePoint Admin Center as an Enterprise Social Collaboration. It isn't in App Launcher but we can use Newsfeed web part in SharePoint sites. Newsfeed panel can be reached with the link <tenant>-my.sharepoint.com/default.aspx , but it is empty and not gathering any posts from followed people, sites, documents or tags.

Now we are considering to turn on Newsfeed feature for the needs of one Project.

This article says a little about what happens after Newsfeed is turned on. In this discussion, there are two contradictory answers and I'm confused.

Will Newsfeed tile show up in App Launcher?

Will it impact other services (Yammer, SharePoint) or functionalities?

Can we use Newsfeed and Yammer next to each other?

I have tested this on stage environment and it looks good. Till now Newsfeed tile hasn't showed up, nothing happened to Yammer or SharePoint. Newsfeed panel gathers all posts and I'm receiving notifications to email.

Does anyone have experience with this topic? Can you confirm that it is safe?

4 Replies

@Juan Carlos González Martín@Darrell Webster@Ivan Unger@Brent Ellis@Dean Gross and @Mark Kashman can I ask you about your opinion and experience?

While NewsFeed and Yammer won't conflict, i would try to stay away from Newsfeed and take advantage of the modern News web part, see this thread https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/SharePoint-Blog/SharePoint-Online-team-news-begins-roll-out-t... for some good discussion .

If you are starting a new project, i would look very strongly at MS Teams, it could be a good opportunity to test it out in your org.

Writing has been on the wall for newsfeed for years. We have never utilized it in our organization, and I wouldn't recommend starting.

My advice is exactly the same as Dean. It's also gonna depend on how your organization wants to communicate.

We tried with Yammer for group-based discussions/announcements, did a decent job for a while, but now Yammer is being decimated because of Groups (better fits how our organization works). We use Yammer for more broader announcement (like public forums), and will probably be using SharePoint News for smaller group-based announcements. We haven't started with Teams yet, but honestly are having trouble really finding a place for it at this point in time.

Thanks, Dean and Brent. We are introducing Office 365 Groups and go with MS Teams in Preview.
However, we have one business team with some other requirements. They want to create a knowledge sharing community tool and have specific expectations. Yammer, Office 365 Groups or MS Teams are not enough. We are considering to built on SharePoint Community Portal with Community Sites and Newsfeed. We see some needed features but also limitations. I want to check the impact of these tools when the switch is on.