Y axis

Copper Contributor

I have an excel chart and would like to have the same Y axis on left (default) and right for readability.  How do I do that?

3 Replies

@jhersh 

In Excel 365, you can add a secondary Y-axis (right Y-axis) to your chart to improve readability when dealing with data series that have different units or ranges. Here is how you can do it:

1. Create or Select Your Chart:
    • First, create your chart or select an existing chart in your Excel worksheet.
  2. Select Data Series:
    • Click on the data series that you want to display on the secondary Y-axis. This is typically the data series that has a different scale or unit from the other data.
  3. Format Data Series:
    • After selecting the data series, right-click on it, and choose "Format Data Series" from the context menu.
  4. Series Options:
    • In the "Format Data Series" pane on the right, you will see a section for "Series Options."
  5. Choose Secondary Axis:
    • In the "Series Options" section, you will see a checkbox for "Secondary Axis." Check this box to add the selected data series to the secondary Y-axis.
  6. Check the Chart:
    • Check your chart to see the changes. You should now have two Y-axes: one on the left (default) and one on the right (secondary).
  7. Adjust Secondary Axis Scaling (Optional):
    • By default, Excel will automatically scale the secondary Y-axis based on the data series you added to it. However, you can further customize the scaling if needed:
      • Click on the secondary Y-axis (right-side axis) to select it.
      • Right-click and choose "Format Axis."
      • Adjust the axis scale, minimum, maximum, and other formatting options as necessary.
  8. Add Axis Titles (Optional):
    • To improve clarity, you can add axis titles to both the primary and secondary Y-axes. Click on the axis title to edit it.
  9. Finalize Chart Formatting:
    • Make any other formatting adjustments to your chart as needed, such as adding data labels, legends, or adjusting the chart type.

With these steps, you can display data on both the left and right Y-axes in your Excel 365 chart. This is particularly useful when you have data series with different units or scales, as it allows you to better visualize and compare the data. The text and steps were edited with the help of AI.

My answers are voluntary and without guarantee!

Hope this will help you.

Was the answer useful? Mark them as helpful and like it!

This will help all forum participants.

@jhersh 

I guess you'd like to duplicate primary (left) axis as secondary (right) one. You can't add that without adding another series plotted on secondary axis. As workaround you may copy/paste first series in the chart, assigned it on secondary axis and play with colours/labels to make this pasted series invisible.