SOLVED

Split data in a single cell

Copper Contributor

How can I split data in a single cell when there isn't a clear data separation point? I need to separate the two lines into columns.  The source data format cannot be changed.  I cannot figure out a text to columns delimitator since number of characters in the name and the ID number vary.

FName LName: Custom Identifier/External Payroll ID/11111

FName LName: Custom Identifier/Personal Identification Number/9999999
7 Replies
If there are spaces, those can be delimiters; if there's a colon, that can be a delimiter. Can you post a copy (after eliminating identifiable names) on OneDrive or GoogleDrive with a link here that grants access?

@WSokol 

With such a value in A2:

In B2:  =LEFT(A2,FIND(" ",A2)-1)

In C2:  =MID(A2,FIND(" ",A2)+1,FIND(":",A2)-FIND(" ",A2)-1)

In D2:  =MID(A2,FIND(":",A2)+2,FIND("/",A2)-FIND(":",A2)-2)

In E2:  =MID(A2,FIND("/",A2)+1,FIND("/",A2,FIND("/",A2)+1)-FIND("/",A2)-1)

In F2:  =MID(A2,FIND("/",A2,FIND("/",A2)+1)+1,100)

Fill down

@WSokol 

Going off the provided string, you could use:

=TEXTSPLIT(A2,{":",": ","/"})

If there are more delimiters, a larger sample of strings might help us arrive at the best solution possible.

Thank you, very close but this doesn't separate the end of the Payroll ID number from the 2nd FName
"11111FName LName: Custom Identifier"
This is the field when un-wrapped:
FName LName: Custom Identifier/External Payroll ID/11111FName LName: Custom Identifier/Personal Identification Number/9999999
Thank you, very close but this doesn't separate the end of the Payroll ID number from the 2nd FName
"11111FName LName: Custom Identifier"
This is the field when un-wrapped:
FName LName: Custom Identifier/External Payroll ID/11111FName LName: Custom Identifier/Personal Identification Number/9999999
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

@WSokol 

I thought there were 2 cells.

Try Text to Columns with Delimited as type.

Tick the Other check box and press Ctrl+J in the box next to it. This is the code for a line break.

That works, thank you so much!
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

@WSokol 

I thought there were 2 cells.

Try Text to Columns with Delimited as type.

Tick the Other check box and press Ctrl+J in the box next to it. This is the code for a line break.

View solution in original post