Printer options as default

Copper Contributor

Hi, I have to print a lot of Excel documents at work and in order to print the documents I always have to change the printing settings to my liking and needs. The question is, is there any way to save my print options and make it a default so I can save time when printing documents in excel. 

4 Replies

@AntoniaTarsa 

I have to print a lot of Excel documents at work and in order to print the documents I always have to change the printing settings to my liking and needs.

WHERE do you make those adjustments to your preferences? In Excel, or in the general print dialog box?Are you on PC or Mac?

And while we're at it, what are the particulars that always require that you change them? Are we talking changing from A4 (the European standard paper size) to the US letter size? Or some other kind of change(s)?

@mathetes 

Hi,

So I'm trying to make some printing default changes in Excel itself. When you have a document that you want to print directly from Excel, there are some printing options and I would like to set some of them as a default. For example that the pages are always printed in landscape and I also have multiple printers but always use just one for my excel documents so I would like to set the one that I use as a standard so I can save some time. To answer your other question, I'm using a PC.

Thanks!

@AntoniaTarsa 

Hmm....I'm quite sure you can set a given printer as the default printer--certainly I do so with my (Mac) laptop, which I carry from place to place, printer to printer--but things like landscape vs portrait mode seem to be very "spreadsheet specific" so I doubt you can make that some kind of all-inclusive setting. And once you've set it, if other users go to print this shared spreadsheet, they'd need to change it back to landscape....

I note you only site landscape mode as an example of the kind of thing you are wanting to do, implying that there are other idiosyncratic settings you seek to employ.

What does occur to me--if we're not talking of printing files that are shared with others or created by others, if what we're talking about is files you create and use yourself, printing them for others-- is that you could create template Excel documents that embody your default desired settings. Just create a template that itself is set to landscape, and any other defaults (big margin on the right, for example)....nothing else on the template but those, and then make that where you start when you go to create a New document.

set up your printer preferences in Application provided by your printer vendor