Please add colletions

Copper Contributor

Hey, I'm of the impression that Excel is stuck in a old accountant dinosaur tech world.
The addition of "let" and js- like scripting is a small step forward..

But real improvement for humanity comes when you're able to right-click and declare a "sheet" and/or "column" to be strongly typed, and support collections framework in formulas. 

I.e [signedDisclosure].contains({"yes";"maybe"})
I don't even know if the lamda => operator is supported, but if, it should be readily available in common usecases, autocomplete etc.

Also:
I'd like som sort of primary key, to text imports i.e ("pete1";{60;"washington";"student"}) stored like a dictionary or complex object, without the hefty datamodel memory footprint.

1 Reply

@thrust275 

It sounds like you are looking for more advanced features and capabilities in Excel that would enhance its functionality and usability, particularly in handling data and formulas. While Excel has evolved over the years and introduced new features like the LET function and dynamic arrays, some of the features you mentioned, such as strong typing, collections framework, lambda operators, and complex object storage, are not currently available in Excel's native formula language.

However, there are some workarounds and alternatives you can explore to achieve similar functionalities:

1. Arrays and Formulas: Excel already supports array formulas, which allow you to perform operations on arrays of data. You can use functions like FILTER, SORT, UNIQUE, etc., to manipulate and filter data within arrays. While it's not as intuitive as a collections framework, you can achieve similar results.
  2. VBA: For more advanced data manipulation and processing, you can use VBA (Visual Basic for Applications), which is integrated into Excel. With VBA, you have more flexibility in creating custom functions, data structures, and algorithms to handle your specific requirements.
  3. Power Query: Excel's Power Query feature allows you to import, transform, and combine data from various sources. While it's not exactly like a collections framework, you can use Power Query to shape your data into the desired format and perform complex operations.
  4. Database Integration: If you are dealing with large datasets or complex data relationships, you might consider using Excel in conjunction with a database system like Microsoft Access or SQL Server. This allows you to leverage the power of databases for data storage and retrieval while still using Excel for analysis and reporting.
  5. Excel Add-ins: There are many third-party Excel add-ins available that extend Excel's capabilities with advanced features like statistical analysis, data visualization, and more. You might find an add-in that offers the specific functionality you are looking for.

While Excel may not have all the features you mentioned out of the box, there are ways to work around its limitations and achieve your desired outcomes with a combination of built-in features, scripting, and external tools. The text was created with the help of AI.

My answers are voluntary and without guarantee!

Hope this will help you.

Was the answer useful? Mark as best response and Like it!

This will help all forum participants.