How to map full folder path / get a directory

Copper Contributor

Hi

I want to Map a folder which is used at work for auditing purposes. But I want to Map a folder from my G:Drive and no file paths or locations, just the title of the folders.

When I say map I mean have a written record of all the folders in that one folder etc.

Is there a way to do this without having to copy and paste each folder name to an excel file.

This is what i'm having to physically do each time to achieve this result and get a directory of all folders;

Individual Giving Analysis Dashboard
    Draw Statistics FY 2017 - 2018

Individual giving is the main folder - everything else the sub folder,

kind regards

Laura

1 Reply

Hello,

You can do this with Power Query. Power Query is a free add-in from Microsoft for Excel 2010 and 2013 and built into Excel 2016 as Get and Transform.

Start a new query Get Data > From File > From Folder.  Enter the start folder or drive. In the Query Editor you can then use the split command to split out the file path into its individual folders and remove the columns you don't need. Then filter out the rows (folders) you don't want to see and load the query into the Excel sheet.

The nice thing is that this initial setup only needs to happen once. If more files are created in the drive, you simply need to refresh the query and you will have the complete and correct list of files in the folder (and sub folders).