Formulas

Copper Contributor

Is there a formula I can use to compare tables on different sheets to track things like student jobs in the classroom. To keep track of how many times a student has a job to make sure every student has a turn at each job?

9 Replies

@kozy_12 

Simple answer: Yes!

There are in fact several functions that can achieve this. VLOOKUP, HLOOKUP, INDEX / MATCH and depending on your Excel version XLOOKUP. You can build formulae with these to find the jobs done by each student. It all depends on how your data actually looks like. So, if you could upload a sample of your sheets (without any private or confidential information) that would be helpful.

Thank you I uploaded my sheet for you. @Riny_van_Eekelen 

@kozy_12 

I believe the attached file is doing what you want. If not, let me know.

Its perfect thank you so much. I used to make spreadsheets all the time and have taken a few classes but haven't done many in the last couple years, I need to get refreshed on the formulas! @Riny_van_Eekelen 

@Riny_van_Eekelen 

One more question I have... is there a way to get excel to take the names and randomly fill them into the jobs? 

@kozy_12 

You have 11 jobs, 41 weeks to be performed by 22 students. Hence, every student has to perform each job about twice.

Have a look at the sheet StudentNames. If you start top-left in the first week. Hannah to Reagan will each take one of the 11 jobs. The next week it will be Jillian to Emma. Of course, that will not help you for the going year. But perhaps for the future.

Thank you! You have been a big help :)

@Riny_van_Eekelen You helped me with a spreadsheet to keep track of my student jobs. Now I need to make one that will keep track of my students online activity while we are distance teaching but also pull that information into 23 different spreadsheets that I can share with parents. How do I do that?

@kozy_12 Difficult to visualise what you want. If you collect all the data in one table with a column identifying the student, you could use a Pivot Table to create individual tabs for each student containing all of their activities. If you then want to send that information to the parents you could then, for example, print each tab to PDF and e-mail it to them.