SOLVED

Formatting for PowerBI

Brass Contributor

Hello!  I have an excel sheet that I need to connect to a PowerBI - but it needs to be reformatted.  I wasn't sure what the best way to format it is.

I have different tabs (all formatted the same way) for each year of data, and then I have a matrix created to have all of my data.  I need to be able to input this into a PowerBI and report on Planned OR and Line Result for each Plant and Line and then have the date on the x-axis. (basically create trendlines/analysis for this data in an easier template)

I have attached the excel sheet - thanks in advance!!  

14 Replies

Hi @nattiej101 

#1 I have different tabs (all formatted the same way)

Yes and then No. At the bottom of each sheet you have a couple of extra (inconsistent) rows and not at the same positions (row number). This prevents automating the restructuring process ==> extra rows will be deleted in the file you shared

#2 In reality how many sheets/years do you have to restructure?

@L z. 

If I were to delete those extra rows (they are just totals I believe) would that help?  I have attached the newer/modified report.

I have about 10 years of data (2013-2023)

@nattiej101 

If I were to delete those extra rows (they are just totals I believe) would that help?

That's exactly what I said. It's actually a must, especially with 10 years to restructure

Attached is 2022 restructured. Could you check and confirm this reflects what you need per sheet/year?

If not, what (exactly) is missing/wrong?

That looks perfect - how did you do that/how can I recreate that for all of the other years?

@nattiej101

That looks perfect - how did you do that/how can I recreate that for all of the other years?

I'm preparing you a workbook to do it BUT we have an issue and you have to take a decision

Issue: In [Planned OR%] and/or [Line Result] you have some N/A (Text value). Such value can't be converted to a Number and as you are going to load the data to PowerBI, those columns must have a Type decimal number (an UnTyped column is Typed Text when data loads in PowerBI or Excel Data Model)

Question: In [Planned OR%] & [Line Result] should I replace the N/As with nothing (null), 0, another numeric value???

@L z.  Thank you so so much!

I would like them to be null values. 

@nattiej101 

I would like them to be null values That's what I anticipated :)

Attached file contains what you need to combine your sheets, assuming:

- They're named 2013, 2014... 2023 (a Numeric name)

- You have deleted all the extra rows at the bottom of each sheet

#1 Go the the PARAM sheet and update the file path with yours (path to the file containing sheets 2013, 2014, .... 2023)

#2 Switch to sheet PlantsLines

#3 Go to Data (tab) > Queries & Connections (the corresponding pane opens on the right)

#4 Right-click in the green table (still in sheet PlantsLines) > Refresh

then wait and see...

When the query refresh is complete, in the Queries & Connections pane, check that no error is reported under query name PlantLines. This should look like (w/diff. #rows of course):

Sample.png

If you have errors you can follow this article to understand the reasons and hopefully fix them yourself. Worst case scenario upload your file and I'll have a look at it (I'll be off in +/- 1h from now)

To prepare your Excel data for analysis in Power BI and create trendlines and analyses, follow these steps:
1. Structuring Your Data:
Consolidate Data:
Create a single table that consolidates the data from all years. This table should have columns for Year, Plant, Line, Date, Planned OR, and Line Result.
Format Date:
Ensure the Date column is formatted as a date in Excel.
2. Import Data into Power BI:
Open Power BI:
Open Power BI Desktop.
Get Data:
Click on "Home" > "Get Data" > "Excel."
Select Workbook:
Choose your Excel workbook and select the consolidated table.
3. Data Modeling:
Create Relationships:

If you have multiple tables (e.g., Plant and Line details), create relationships between them and the main data table.
Define Measures:
Create measures for aggregations like sums or averages based on your analysis needs.
4. Visualizations:
Line Chart:
Create a line chart with Date on the x-axis, Planned OR and Line Result on the values axis, and possibly using Plant or Line as legends.
Trendlines:
You can add trendlines to your line chart by selecting the chart, going to the "Analytics" pane, and adding a "Trendline."
Filters:
Add slicers or filters for Year, Plant, or Line to enable users to filter the data interactively.
5. Save and Share:
Save Report:
Save your Power BI report.
Share:
Share the report or publish it to the Power BI service for wider access.
Additional Tips:
Data Quality:
Ensure data quality and consistency across years and tabs.
Refresh Data:
Set up a data refresh schedule if your Excel data changes regularly.
Explore Power BI Features:
Explore other Power BI features like calculated columns, DAX (Data Analysis Expressions) for more complex calculations.
Remember, the specific details may vary based on your exact data and analysis needs. Adjust the steps as necessary, and leverage Power BI's features to create insightful visualizations and analyses based on your consolidated data.

Here is the error that I'm getting:

nattiej101_0-1700167919494.png

I have even attached the file I was trying to connect to with all of the tabs.

@nattiej101 

You're not serious ;) Not all your sheets are formatted the same way - very quick 1st analysis...:

- Nothing in A1-C1 (easy to fix) in some sheets

- 2011-2013 have extra empty rows in the middle

- Before 2016 some columns are not in the same order as what you shared before or even don't exist

#1 I'll try to fix issues in 2016-2023 myself as they look quite consistent but are execptions obviously as I get a bunch of errors with them

#2 For 2014-2015 reorder (& rename) the columns so they're in the same order as what you previously shared (and reshare your file) please

#3 For 2011-2013 either forget about those years or create columns (in the right order+name) with dummy data

@nattiej101 

2016-2023: Extra rows at the bottom were not deleted

2014-2018: Have empty columns in-between others:

Sample.png

In the meantime 2019-2023 with no error is attached

best response confirmed by Sergei Baklan (MVP)
Solution

Hi @nattiej101 

As commited tried to get 2016-2023 data
#1 2019-2023 was previously shared. Included as a separate sheet in PQ_Restructured_PlantLine2016-2023
=> Data source file: Source_OperationRateReport2019-2023

#2 2016-2018 Included as sheet as a separate sheet PQ_Restructured_PlantLine2016-2023:
In October Operation Rate Report (DSM) sheet 2018 has info. from Apr 2013 - Dec 2018
- Exported that sheet to a new workbook
=> Data source file: Source_OperationRateReport2016-2018
- Duplicated the sheet
- Renamed it '2018 AFTER'
- Deleted all columns between Apr 2013 and Dec 2015 (too many inconsistencies* and #DIV/0!, #REF! errors)
- Filled a bunch of empty cells with NA (all colored in orange in the sheet)
- Created a specific query to import the data from sheet '2018 AFTER'

* Going through that sheet I saw an (maybe there are others...) interesting =AVERAGE(H53,H55,H57,H53) that necessarily returns an inaccurate Avg...
+ Some values that seem to be Avg are not calculated and sometimes stored as Text values due to extra space(s) with the Number

#3 Combined/Appended #1 & #2 as a single table named '2016-2023' in PQ_Restructured_PlantLine2016-2023
==> 5,564 records (0 errors)

Hope this helps

You are incredible and deserve a raise!!!  Thank you so so much.  You just saved me probably 40 hours worth of reorganizing these files. 

I hope you have a blessed rest of your year!!  @L z. 

Glad I could help @nattiej101 . Thanks for posting back & Nice EOY...

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Sergei Baklan (MVP)
Solution

Hi @nattiej101 

As commited tried to get 2016-2023 data
#1 2019-2023 was previously shared. Included as a separate sheet in PQ_Restructured_PlantLine2016-2023
=> Data source file: Source_OperationRateReport2019-2023

#2 2016-2018 Included as sheet as a separate sheet PQ_Restructured_PlantLine2016-2023:
In October Operation Rate Report (DSM) sheet 2018 has info. from Apr 2013 - Dec 2018
- Exported that sheet to a new workbook
=> Data source file: Source_OperationRateReport2016-2018
- Duplicated the sheet
- Renamed it '2018 AFTER'
- Deleted all columns between Apr 2013 and Dec 2015 (too many inconsistencies* and #DIV/0!, #REF! errors)
- Filled a bunch of empty cells with NA (all colored in orange in the sheet)
- Created a specific query to import the data from sheet '2018 AFTER'

* Going through that sheet I saw an (maybe there are others...) interesting =AVERAGE(H53,H55,H57,H53) that necessarily returns an inaccurate Avg...
+ Some values that seem to be Avg are not calculated and sometimes stored as Text values due to extra space(s) with the Number

#3 Combined/Appended #1 & #2 as a single table named '2016-2023' in PQ_Restructured_PlantLine2016-2023
==> 5,564 records (0 errors)

Hope this helps

View solution in original post