Formatting column chart

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I have a problem that I can't seem to find a solution for. I have to create a column chart that has all the columns together with no gaps (I am using Excel 2007) which is easy to do but I have been asked to make sure there is a thin gap (white space) between the first column and the vertical axis. I have searched every where and tried multiple things but I just can't seem to work out what should be fairly simple.

Would anyone know how I put a gap between the vertical axis and only the first column but have all the columns with no gaps?

Thanks in advance.

4 Replies

@GSM350 Don't know if this works in ancient Excel, but give it a try. The attached file (saved in an old format) has a column chart where I formatted the vertical axis to be a solid line, white and 5 points wide. That gives you the tiny gap you asked for.

Riny_van_Eekelen_0-1698227291116.png

@Riny_van_Eekelenthanks so much for your reply and for the file.  I had previously tried the exact same thing however it wasn't accepted because I still need to be able to show the vertical axis line.

Surely there has to be a simple way to do it like the attached picture?

example.png

Thanks again.

@GSM350 Sorry, can't help you. It's not that simple, I guess. The chart in the picture is most likely not made in Excel. Looks more like a Python chart.

@Riny_van_EekelenNo problem at all, thanks for your help it was greatly appreciated.