Excel

Copper Contributor

Excel automatically pops open a new spread sheet when I close one. This is annoying to say the least as I'm trying to go on to other tasks. Is there a fix for this or am I the only one experiencing this?

Looking forward to your reply.

Thanks,

4 Replies
Check if any macros doing this activity ..

@sheilaGmacys 

It sounds like Excel might be set to open a new workbook automatically when you close one.

You can check and change this behavior in the Excel options.

Here is how you can do it:

1. Open Excel.
  2. Click on the "File" tab in the ribbon to go to the Backstage view.
  3. Click on "Options" at the bottom of the left-hand menu. This will open the Excel Options window.
  4. In the Excel Options window, go to the "Advanced" tab on the left.
  5. Scroll down to the "General" section.
  6. Look for the option that says "Show sheets in new workbook." If it is checked, uncheck it.
  7. Click "OK" to apply the changes.

Now, when you close a workbook, Excel should not automatically open a new one. If the issue persists, there might be other factors at play, and you may want to check if there are any add-ins or external programs affecting Excel's behavior, as previously recommended.

My answers are voluntary and without guarantee!

Hope this will help you.

Was the answer useful? Mark as best response and like it!

This will help all forum participants.

Hi, @NikolinoDE 

I followed the steps you provided exactly, when I got to the General section of the Advanced tab, "Show sheets in new workbook" was not there. 

Thanks for your help. 

@sheilaGmacys 

More detailed information about your Excel version, operating system, storage medium, etc. would help. A small step by step description, such as whether it only occurs in a specific file that you open first, or in all files.

The more specific the description, the better the proposed solution.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.