Editing an existing note in Excel

Copper Contributor

I have created a note in some of the cells within a worksheet in excel. I now want to go back and modify the existing text within the note attached to the cell. I was able to do this in earlier versions of office. We have now upgraded to Office 365 running on Windows 10 and I can no longer modify the text in the note!

The only way I have been able to do it is to copy the existing text, delete the note, the add a new note then paste the copied text then modify it.

Can anyone help? Must be an option or something somewhere I can click to resolve.

9 Replies

Hi @Benski 

What do you see when you right click in the cell with the comment?   Can you post a screenshot

clipboard_image_0.png

Wyn

@Wyn Hopkins  I get the following!

clipboard_image_0.png

@Wyn Hopkins 

I can get into the text within the "Note" but cannot edit the original text that is in there! I can add to the bottom no problems. But I want to modify the original text that was added previously.

could you take a quick screenshot using snagit or snipping tool?

@Wyn Hopkins 

Hey mate I sent a screen shoot, have a  look at my second last message I sent yesterday.

@Benski -

Does 'Edit Note' not work for you?

4.png

@ChrisMendoza 

When I go into the Edit Note, I am unable to modify any of the existing notes that are in there! I am only able to add new lines to the bottom of the existing text.

The only way I am able to modify is to

1. copy the existing text in the note

2. Delete the note

3. Add a note

4. paste the old text into the note

5. Then modify it to the way I want too

If I exit then come back into it I am unable again to modify what is already in there.

Before Office 365 (Excel) I was able to alter the existing text within the note, now I can't. I thought there must be some sort of option I could set, but I cannot find one!

@ChrisMendoza 

@Wyn Hopkins 

I have found the problem!

My Worksheet was being shared with my colleagues, when I un-shared the worksheet I was able to modify the existing notes. To prove this I shared the worksheet again and the problem came back.

Thanks for you help much appreciated.

Ben

Not one I've heard of before, thanks for letting us know