Drop Down List

Copper Contributor

I understand how to set up a basic drop down list with data verification.  I am trying to make a drop down list that converts to product number.  For example, I want my drop down to list account names [Maintenance, Travel, Entertainment] but once you select an account name an account number is listed in the cell.  I work with Office 365.  I have researched this for quite some time but can't find a solution.  Most suggestions refer to viewing code and manipulating it.  Is there a better way to do this?  Looking for suggestions?  Thanks in advance. 

1 Reply

@Becky70 

A simple solution is to enter the account name in one cell, and to display the corresponding account number in another cell using a VLOOKUP or XLOOKUP formula.

If you really want the account number in the cell itself, you can use an ActiveX combo box. See Data Validation Combo box Click for the general idea.

You'd set the ListFillRange of the combo box to a range with 2 columns: the account number in the first one and the account name in the second one. Set the ColumnCount property to 2 and the ColumnWidths property to 0 to hide the first column.

As a result, the combo box will display the second column (account name) but store the first column (account number) in its LinkedCell.