SOLVED

How do I add a name to my drop down list in excel

Copper Contributor

Hello, I am looking for instructions on how to add a name to a drop down list on my spreadsheet

15 Replies

@TeeGoodwin 

Do you mean to see a text in the cell where you have the dropdown? For instance, this:

Martin_Angosto_0-1715192887052.png

Go to Data > Data Validation >Error Alert > Disable the option to show error alert. Then go to the cell, insert any text you want and go to Data Validation > Error Alert and finally enable the option to show error again.

@Martin_Angosto hello and thank you for your reply. I am trying to add an employees name

to the current drop down menu on my spreadsheet and I cannot figure out how to do it

@TeeGoodwin 

If you want to edit the dropdown list of a previously created dropdown menu, select the cell containing the list, go to Data Validation and on "Source" space, you will see the source of this dropdown menu.

It is possible that the source is directly written there, for instance:

Martin_Angosto_0-1715194993040.png

In that case, just directly add the employee name by separating it with a comma or a semicolon (depending on the language settings of your Excel).

It is also possible that the source of the list is referenced through a range:

Martin_Angosto_1-1715195075691.png

In that case, go to that range and add a row/column with the new employee name and then edit the written range on the "Source" space.

My source is referenced through a range. In the source box, there is a formula there, do I type the employee name after the formula in the source box? I have tried this and I get an error message that the formula is not valid?

@TeeGoodwin 

Can you please share at least a screenshot of the formula and the range that it references? As long as it doesn't disclose sensitive information.

IMG_6094.jpeg

 this is where I am stuck, where do I type the additional name?

@Martin_Angosto 

@TeeGoodwin 

Below Erika Olis, write the name of the employee you wish to add to the list. Theoretically, it will automatically appear in the dropdown list.

If I type the name under Erika’s name, it changes the source? Do I type anything in the source area?

@TeeGoodwin 

As you can see already typed in your "source", the formula is taking the range H4:H22 to generate the dropdown list. As your name list are only from H2:H20, you still have 2 more spaces in order to write additional employees before needing to change anything in the "source" part.

Please just write the name of the employee you want to add below Erika's and do not even modify anything in the data validation settings. You should be able to see this new name in the dropdown list directly.

Yes I have tried to do that but when I go to type the name under Erika’s on the actual spreadsheet, my cursor automatically goes to the source box. Don’t type the name in the source box after the formula that is already there?
best response confirmed by GrahmSchneider13 (Microsoft)
Solution

@TeeGoodwin 

You should close the Data Validation settings. You do not have to change anything there for now. Once closed, just type the name below Erika's as if you were simply writing a simple cell value in your spreadsheet.

I did it!!!!!!! ☺️☺️ thank you so much for your help today!!!!

@TeeGoodwin 

Glad you finally could do it!

Me too!! lol and thanks again.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by GrahmSchneider13 (Microsoft)
Solution

@TeeGoodwin 

You should close the Data Validation settings. You do not have to change anything there for now. Once closed, just type the name below Erika's as if you were simply writing a simple cell value in your spreadsheet.

View solution in original post