Advice for Excel integration

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I’ve started to work on a product that will have a deep integration with Excel with the following requirements.

1. Installation: A one-time installation of the Add-on across all Excel files on a user's machine.
  2. Tracking: The Add-on should adeptly track all user interactions within the spreadsheet, including cell updates, copy-pasting, format changes, and more, with the ability to store this data locally.
  3. Communication:The Add-on supports two-way communication with a backend service.
  4. UI Integration & Interactive Features: Incorporating a rich Excel right-pane copilot-like user interface; the add-on will be able to focus on specific areas within the spreadsheet, highlight cells, and interact with dynamic popups.

I’m wondering what Excel extensibility framework I should be using: VBA, JS, COM or .NET (or perhaps none of them fully support what I’m looking for). If anyone has experience or insights into which framework would be most appropriate for these requirements, I would greatly appreciate your guidance.

Thanks,

1 Reply

@giorag 

For the requirements you've outlined, a combination of different Excel extensibility frameworks may be necessary to achieve your goals. Here's a breakdown of each framework and its suitability for your requirements:

1. VBA (Visual Basic for Applications):

• VBA is suitable for automating tasks, creating custom functions, and interacting with Excel's object model.
    • It can handle installation across all Excel files on a user's machine and track user interactions within the spreadsheet.
    • However, VBA has limitations when it comes to UI integration and dynamic features like popups.

2. JavaScript:

• JavaScript APIs like Office.js provide powerful capabilities for extending Excel with web-based add-ins.
    • They support UI integration, interactive features, and two-way communication with backend services.
    • However, JavaScript add-ins may have limitations in terms of accessing local resources and tracking user interactions.

3. COM (Component Object Model):

• COM allows you to create Excel add-ins using languages like C# or VB.NET.
    • COM add-ins offer full access to Excel's object model and can handle installation across all Excel files.
    • They support UI integration, interactive features, and communication with backend services.
    • However, COM add-ins require more development effort and may be more complex to deploy and maintain.

4. .NET:

• .NET Framework or .NET Core can be used to create Excel add-ins using COM or other approaches like VSTO (Visual Studio Tools for Office) or Office Add-ins.
    • .NET add-ins offer similar capabilities to COM add-ins and can provide tight integration with Excel.
    • They support UI integration, interactive features, and communication with backend services.
    • Like COM add-ins, .NET add-ins require more development effort and may have deployment complexities.

Given your requirements, a combination of VBA for basic automation and tracking, and a .NET-based approach for advanced UI integration, interactive features, and backend communication may be the most suitable solution. You can leverage the strengths of each framework to build a comprehensive Excel add-in that meets your needs. However, the exact approach will depend on factors like your development skills, resources, and project constraints.

My knowledge of this topic is limited, but since no one has answered it, I entered your question in various AI. The text and the steps are the result of various AI's put together.

My answers are voluntary and without guarantee!

Hope this will help you.

Was the answer useful? Mark as best response and like it!

This will help all forum participants.