SOLVED

twitter not supported on edge

Copper Contributor

I have a completely standard Windows 11 laptop with Edge as the default browser. It works fine for alsmost everything except that if I trty to see anything on Twitter I get a page which says "

This browser is no longer supported.

Please switch to a supported browser to continue using twitter.com. You can see a list of supported browsers in our Help Centre. "

What can be causing this? 

12 Replies
Microsoft Edge has no problem with the Twitter.
Are you opening it with Internet Explorer Mode?
Are you seeing little Internet Explorer icon next to the address bar?

@Reza_Ameri 

Thanks for quick response.  As far as I am aware I haven't done anything that would affect it. The extensions I am using are Adblock and Dashlane, IBM security Rapport, Zoom, cleanstreetview and streetview screenshot.   

A few months ago I had a couple of days when Twitter worked but it then went back to this:  

SteveLast_0-1653400335081.png

This is not expected issue.
You may navigate to edge://settings/help and make sure your Microsoft Edge is update.
Press Ctrl+Shift+N and it will open InPrivate browsing and navigate to twitter.com and see if the problem persists?

@SteveLast 

I don't think Trusteer is supported yet on Windows 11: Supported platforms

This doesn't mean it won't work, just that it might interfere with browsing in strange ways. You might try disabling it and/or removing it to check whether this is the cause of the problem you're facing.

For that matter, any of the extensions could be causing it, but if they aren't, my next suspicion would be your UA string. If you open the F12 Dev Tools while you're on this Twitter error page, go to the Dev Tools ... menu > More tools > Network conditions, and on the Network conditions tab in the User agent section, see what the box says.  Mine, for example, seems to think I'm on a version of Chrome that's half a year old:  

josh_bodner_0-1653604427293.png

If you try manually changing your UA string to something else (uncheck the Default box and use the dropdown list), then refresh the page, does that change anything?  

Thanks... Edge is up to date, and I manually set gthe UA string to Edge Chromium Windows from default, but it didn't make any difference when I refreshed the page. However going to private browsing ctrl/shift/N did open the right page. How can I make that happen with a regular window?
In case it works in InPrivate browsing it means, either there is an extension causing this issue (like what other said) and you may try disable all extensions and try and see if the problem persists? It might be issue with cookie or temporary files, so you may try clean cookies and temporary files and see if the problem persists.
Thank you, I mjust removed the Zoom extension and it now seems to work OK.
Thanks again to all.
best response confirmed by SteveLast (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Welcome, glad it was helpful.
You may report this issue to the Zoom's support and update its extension.
I've tried the above solutions, and also uninstalled all of my extensions but twitter still doesn't get past the bird icon, do you have any ideas on what I could do? :((
I have the same problem.
On October 5th, 2022 there was a new update from EDGE and since some pages are no longer working properly.

Unfortunately, EDGE can no longer be set to the previous status.
Since I have multiple user accounts on my PC.
My admin account works fine, but my user account has been causing problems since the update.
I got it to work.

Under "C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge" there was a directory "User Data".
I renamed it to "User Data_ORG" to save. Normal it can be deleted.

This completely resets EDGE and starts as if EDGE had just been reinstalled.
After that it should work again.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by SteveLast (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Welcome, glad it was helpful.
You may report this issue to the Zoom's support and update its extension.

View solution in original post