Dev channel update to 82.0.432.3 is live

Microsoft

Hello Insiders, today we’re releasing build 82.0.432.3 to the Dev Channel.  As mentioned last week, we’ve got another opportunity coming up tomorrow for you to talk with us:  https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/edge-engineers-available-to-talk-with-you-on-feb-....  

Our most exciting news today is that the edge://surf game from November’s #FindWhatsNext campaign is now available for everyone to play just by going to edge://surf!  In addition to being available from the error page that appears when you’re offline, the game now has new modes including time trial, support for other input methods like touch and gamepads, accessibility improvements, high scores, and remastered visuals.  Many of these changes are based on your feedback, so check out edge://surf to see what else we included!  Please note that this is being rolled out via our experimentation platform, so it may take a little bit to reach everybody. 

As for everything else that’s notable and new: 

Added features: 

• Added the ability to put the Share button next to the address bar. 
  • Added a management policy to disable the Share button. 
  • Added the ability to hide the Home button by right-clicking it. 
  • Added support for Windows Information Protection. 
  • Added a management policy to control the automatic creation of on-premises work or school profiles (profiles with a DOMAIN\NAME format instead of a NAME@COMPANY.COM format). 
  • Added extra security to the Payment info Settings page by requiring the OS-level password in order to edit or delete cards. 
  • Added support for syncing the “Allow extensions from other stores” setting to other devices. 

Improved reliability: 

• Fixed an issue where clicking a favorite on the Favorites management page sometimes causes a crash. 
  • Fixed an issue where webpages that show javascript dialogs sometimes cause a crash.   
  • Fixed an issue where filling out forms in webpages in an InPrivate window sometimes crashes the browser. 
  • Fixed an issue where editing a Collection when Collections sync is enabled sometimes crashes the browser. 
  • Improved the reliability of Edge installation to reduce “side by side configuration is incorrect” errors after installing an update.   
  • Fixed an issue where entering Immersive Reader sometimes crashes the tab. 
  • Fixed an issue where attempting to print a PDF sometimes crashes the tab. 
  • Fixed an issue where importing extensions from another browser sometimes leads to a browser crash. 
  • Fixed a crash when closing the browser. 
  • Fixed an issue where clicking the button to change the style of text in a note in a Collection crashes the Collections pane. 
  • Fixed an issue where Collections may not sync properly. 

Changed behavior: 

• Stopped automatically creating on-premises work or school profiles (profiles with a DOMAIN\NAME format instead of a NAME@COMPANY.COM format) since sync does not work with these types of profiles.  As mentioned last week, see https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/enterprise/updates-to-auto-sign-in-with-on-prem-active-direct... for more details. 
  • Changed the color of text on inactive tabs to be more readable. 
  • Fixed an issue where enabling Collections sync sometimes changes the title of synced Collections to “Syncing…”. 
  • Fixed an issue where videos on certain websites like Twitter don’t play properly and instead show an error. 
  • Fixed an issue where rotating a PDF after drawing on it with ink sometimes corrupts the drawing. 
  • Fixed an issue where the Share button isn’t disabled on pages that aren’t shareable. 
  • Fixed an issue where the Collections button isn’t removed from the address bar when Collections are disabled via management policy. 
  • Fixed an issue where items that are blocked from being downloaded due to security issues have corrupted UI on the Downloads shelf. 
  • Fixed an issue where pinning a site that’s currently open in an IE mode tab fails. 
  • Fixed an issue where the “Offer to save passwords” setting doesn’t sync with all Edge channels. 

Known issues: 

• Some users are seeing favorites get duplicated after we made some fixes in that area last month. The most common way this is triggered is by installing a new channel of Edge or installing Edge on another device and then signing into it with an account that has already signed into Edge before.  Fixing this should be easier now that the deduplicator tool is available. 
  • Users of certain security software packages will see all tabs fail to load with the error STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION. The only supported way to prevent this behavior is to uninstall that software. We’re currently engaging with the developers of that software to test a potential fix, which we hope to bring to Dev and Canary soon. 
  • After an initial fix for it recently, some users are still experiencing Edge windows becoming all black. UI popups like menus are not affected and opening the Browser Task Manager (keyboard shortcut is shift + esc) and killing the GPU process usually fixes it.  Note that this only appears to affect users with certain hardware.
  • There are some issues where users with multiple audio output devices sometimes don’t get any sound from Edge. In one case, Edge becomes muted in the Windows Volume Mixer and unmuting it fixes it.  In another, restarting the browser fixes it. 
  • At certain zoom levels, there is a noticeable line between the browser UI and the web contents.

We should be back to our regular update schedule this week.  As always, thanks for the feedback! 

20 Replies
Thanks for the update, it's good to see Edge settings are gradually being added to the "settings" sync :)

P.S love the new surf game:
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/it-s-time-to-surf-watch-the-gameplay-of-microsoft...

@josh_bodner I get an invalid URL when I try to access surf :(

@David Abitbol Please make sure you have the latest update it. You may need to restart the browser up to three times before it will appear. If it still doesn't appear, you may have to wait for the rollout to finish.

• There are some issues where users with multiple audio output devices sometimes don’t get any sound from Edge. In one case, Edge becomes muted in the Windows Volume Mixer and unmuting it fixes it. In another, restarting the browser fixes it

I had this problem in the edge dev, after seeing this, I went to the mixer and it was really mute. I removed it from the mute and everything went back to normal

Thank @josh_bodner

when can we close the tab by double click the label,please?

Can we open a  bookmark on a new tab?@josh_bodner 

@josh_bodner Having the share button back in the address bar has made my day!

@josh_bodner Under Added features for this build, it says:

• Added extra security to the Payment info Settings page by requiring the OS-level password in order to edit or delete cards. 

I don't get the prompt for the OS-level password when editing or deleting a card.

@josh_bodner Arguably much more important than Surfing etc.

It would be useful if you can clarify if this build is vulnerable to the zero day exploit that Google were recently rushing out patches for in Chrome?

Can you clarify please?

Ref:
https://www.neowin.net/news/google-patches-chrome-zero-day-vulnerability-currently-being-exploited

@MikeDiack 

@MikeDiack wrote:

Arguably much more important than Surfing etc.

It would be useful if you can clarify if this build is vulnerable to the zero day exploit that Google were recently rushing out patches for in Chrome?

Can you clarify please?

Ref:
https://www.neowin.net/news/google-patches-chrome-zero-day-vulnerability-currently-being-exploited

in that article it says "The vulnerability has been patched in Chrome version 80.0.3987.122."

Edge Dev 82 is based on Chromium 82, why would that vulnerability exist in 2 versions ahead.

Microsoft Edge stable is currently on version 80 and it is constantly receiving small updates, they contain security updates as well.

@josh_bodner  i noticed today some of my passwords duplicates in my dev edge browser settings,  

Version 82.0.432.3 (Official build) dev (64-bit), i am not sure how to fix

@josh_bodner 

As of this update I only have Font settings under Appearance options now. All of the other Appearance settings have disappeared.

Running on Catalina 10.15.3

@sgilder You have a different settings screen than I do. Notice the case of the items under the left-hand "Settings". I have "Reset settings" and you have "Reset Settings" (almost all the others are different too. Maybe this is a resource file thing between the two OS's. (I'm on Win10)

rjpaulsen_0-1582853564938.png

@rjpaulsen 

Yeah I think that is just a difference between the Mac and Windows versions,  it's the same with the release versions as well.

neither do I.

@HotCakeX I think the reason they call out version 80 specifically is because that's Chrome's Stable version too, which means the vast majority of people reading the article will be on that version.  In this case, the fix does in fact exist in all four of our channels, and in general, whenever Chrome releases a security fix to their Beta or Stable channels, we make sure we apply it in ours as quickly as possible.  Our Canary and Dev don't need any extra help getting those patches because they get changes more quickly to begin with.  

Can I use my surface pen to do some notes when browing the web pages on the release? just like the previous Edge version , the non-chrome-core version.
Thanks for the explanation, that's very reassuring and good to know

Javascript links on multiple sites are no longer working. One good example is the Microsoft Update Catalog site (https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Home.aspx) where clicking the Search button gives a javascript:void(0); error

@josh_bodner I'm happy to see the option to show the Share button on the toolbar. IMO, the more toolbar customization, the better. In particular, I'd like the option to have the Print button up there.