Top feedback summary for September 24

Microsoft

Note: This is no longer the most recent top feedback summary. You can always find the latest at https://aka.ms/MSEdgeTopFeedback.

Hello insiders, we’re back again with our weekly update to the top feedback summary.

Welcome to readers from the Beta channel who are seeing some of the work from the past 6 weeks light up today with a major update to Beta. Remember, if you are using Microsoft Edge Beta you can install the Dev channel to see the weekly progress that we’re sharing in these feedback updates. You can install and run Beta and Dev at the same time on the same device, and if you log in with a work or school account, you can even keep things like favorites and passwords in sync between the channels to make it easy to switch between the two. Just head over to https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/download to get the Dev channel (and the Canary channel!)

This week we’re happy to highlight a new setting which allows you to control the ability of media to automatically play when you browse to a page. The new setting can be found in Settings by choosing Site permissions and then Media autoplay. You can choose from two options which restrict whether video and audio can play automatically. If you choose Limit, media will autoplay based on how you’ve used media on that site in the past. If you choose Block, all sites will be blocked from playing media automatically. Give this a try and let us know how it’s working for you. We intend to invest more in this feature going forward, and are considering changes like making this a site-specific setting, and prompting users with an option to block autoplay when it happens.

This week we also have two new items on the list:

• We’re getting complaints that opening a new tab is too slow.
  • Insiders are requesting a prompt when closing a window with multiple tabs, asking if users just want to close a single tab versus all tabs.

Here is the full updated list of top feedback:

Status

Feedback

On this list for

Addressed

Provide an option to prevent auto-play of video and audio when you open a website

5 weeks

Planned for October (Updated from Under Review)

Provide the ability to change the title of tiles on the new tab page

5 weeks

Planned for October (Updated from September)

Show the New Tab Page in dark theme when the browser is in dark theme

5 weeks

Add the ability to turn off the news feed on the new tab page

5 weeks

A round of improvements to scrolling experience, with more (including performance) to come down the line

5 weeks

Planned for October

Inking for PDF files

5 weeks

Planned for October

Need for better handling of links when there is more than one profile

5 weeks

Planned for October

Option to set a custom photo as the New Tab Page background photo

5 weeks

Planned for October

ClickOnce deployment of Windows applications from web pages

5 weeks

Planned for November

Enable search in the extensions store

5 weeks

Under Review

Opening a new tab is too slow

New!

Under Review

Ask users if they want to close all tabs when they close a browser window

New!

Under Review

Support mouse gestures for common actions like navigation and tab close

1 week

Under Review

Provide a transparent theme for the browser frame

1 week

Under Review

Add the ability to change the location for news content on the new tab page

3 weeks

Under Review

Some users are asking for a home button in Edge. Since we already have one, we could improve discoverability or just enable it by default.

3 weeks

Under Review

Touchpad two-finger scrolling is sometimes triggering a right click instead

3 weeks

Under Review

The address bar and its text are too big, and should be smaller like Chrome

3 weeks

Under Review

Add an option to hide the Bing search bar on the new tab page

5 weeks

Under Review

Allow the search bar in the new tab page to be configured with other search providers

5 weeks

Under Review

Bring the tab set aside feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

5 weeks

Under Review

Bring the tab preview feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

5 weeks

Under Review

Bring the reading list feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

5 weeks

Under Review

Bring the Ask Cortana feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

5 weeks

Under Review

Provide an option to set a custom URL for a new tab instead of showing the new tab page

5 weeks

Under Review

Update the user interface with the Fluent Design System

5 weeks

Under Review

Make tabs more square and less rounded, like the current version of Microsoft Edge

5 weeks

Under Review

Support themes from the Chrome Web Store

5 weeks

Under Review

Allow sign-in to the browser with a Google account

5 weeks

Under Review

Provide different options for sorting favorites

5 weeks

Under Review

Provide run / open / save / save as options when downloading files

5 weeks

Quality Area

Bring more extensions to the extensions store

3 weeks

Quality Area

Edge should use less memory than it does

5 weeks

Quality Area

Edge should use less CPU than it does

5 weeks

Quality Area

Scrolling should feel smoother for web pages

5 weeks

Quality Area

Scrolling should feel smoother for PDF files

5 weeks

Quality Area

Update does not always work reliably

5 weeks

Definitions:

Addressed – Feedback is addressed in current Canary builds.

Planned for… – We’re working on this and currently plan for it to be addressed in the Canary channel before the end of the month indicated

Under Review – We are reviewing this feedback internally and do not have a plan to share at this time.

Quality Area – We will give extra weight to fixes and opportunities in this area. Please continue to report specific bugs and make specific asks. 

119 Replies

Yeah, I'm not getting it on Canary so it seems to be fixed on the Canary side. 

Annotation 2019-09-29 080633.jpg

@Bdsrev 

@Bdsrev wrote:
I didn't notice until just now! Ya they need to fix this one

The problem with back button and settings button got fixed in 2 canary updates before Version 79.0.287.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit). it was an update mainly focused on visuals and appearances

@ProjectVRD 

What they need to do is ditch Google integration and focus on the set tabs aside feature and doodle on any webpage feature from the spartan edge

Amen!

Perhaps I am missing it, but I'd love a send to mobile button from the desktop app. Being able to send to my Android device would be incredibly helpful. @David Rubino 

@David Rubino 

Can you fix the C Tab hover cards. It prevents you from closing them on the first and second or even third try and is very annoying.cantclosetab.gif

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Discussions/Bug-while-trying-to-close-tabs/m-p/870822

Dev's answer on that:
"This looks like it is a Chromium flag added by someone outside of Microsoft. I will let out tab owners know that this flag is in and causing weird behaviors. Thanks - Elliot"

Please don't make text on the address bar smaller than now! Its size is just ok!

@David Rubino 

@David Rubino 

I'm at Microsoft Edge Dev Build 79.0.279.0 and went looking for the media autoplay setting, but it isn't in my settings/site permissions.  Am I at the wrong build or is there something else going on?

Rob

@Robert Tillotson 

It's in site permissions in canary settings. I think it was a flag that is now removed.

@Robert Tillotson 

Hi,

Media Autoplay which is part of the new settings page design, is now by default available in Canary channels, but it is still a controlled feature roll-out in Dev channel, probably in a week or two it will be fixed in Dev as well.

when it comes, it will be at the bottom of site permissions as @cjc2112 mentioned

tempsnip.png

@David Rubino  

Under Review

Allow sign-in to the browser with a Google account

Let me add my voice to those who see potential issues with Google integration. 

I don't have a problem with Google integration, so long as Google integration is an option, user activated, requiring an affirmative step by the user, that is added into the mix (perhaps as an extension or a flag), but if and only if the user wants Google integration, and is not  baked into the browser.   

As far as I am concerned, Google is a user data mining operation, and I won't use a browser that ties me into Google in any way, shape or form.

@alzadude 

This took some me getting used to, but I've grown to prefer it to the old square Edge. I wonder if this new, more rounder look might eventually make it's way across all Windows 10 & Apps, making it more consistent.

I also like the large address bar, easier to read on my sleep-deprived eyes : )

@kpsquared That's a great idea I've never thought of. 

@kpsquared @cjc2112 

Have you tried Share + Your Phone app? I randomly stumbled upon it a while back and it actually does what you suggested. you can send web pages to your mobile phone where "Your Phone" app is installed and then you will get the notification that you tap on and the page will open in your mobile phone web browser (doesn't have to be Edge, can be Google Chrome too).

I tried this on Android.

Step 1Step 1

Step 2Step 2

Step 3Step 3

Step 4Step 4

From where does the team collect this feedback? I'd like to run an idea up the flagpole, but I don't know where to post it. Thanks! -e

@ericleigh007 

@ericleigh007 wrote:
From where does the team collect this feedback? I'd like to run an idea up the flagpole, but I don't know where to post it. Thanks! -e

Hi,

there are 3 ways,

1. by posting your idea in the forum:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Discussions/bd-p/EdgeInsiderDiscussions

2. by sending feedback directly to the Edge insider developer team using the Smiley button at the top right corner of the browser.

3. using this online form

https://microsoftedgesupport.microsoft.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

One thing I noticed with these newer build is that watching videos doesn't write to my drive like all the other browser do. This is important if you have an SSD, to reduce wear or if you have an HDD to prevent slowdown. Even if that benefit comes at the expense of a bit more memory usage, that's fine.

@Deleted The flag I think you're talking about is called Turn off caching of streaming media to disk. Looking for it now, it seems to be removed, which means it's here to stay. It's purpose is to save large amounts of battery life without sacrificing too much performance. If you'd like more information, check out this article: https://www.financialexpress.com/industry/technology/google-chrome-exhausting-devices-battery-life-microsoft-comes-to-the-rescue/1680946/

For those of you who don't feel like checking, its cool, here's the important parts:

"these days media content is cached to disk through acquisition and playback, keeping the said disk active while this process continues;

Microsoft said that it increases power consumption and can also avert certain lower-power modes from being engaged into the operating system;

The change will prevent the caching of certain media content to disk in order to improve upon the device battery life;

Chromium stops ‘streaming media content from caching to disk where possible' to improve battery life by stopping unnecessary media caching;

the proposal is aimed at media playback instances where the user is watching content and, on occasions, is accessing other content as well.;

disabling the disk caching has no drawback as the existing Media Source implementation already keeps the recent content in memory, the user will still be able to engage in usual tasks like going backwards a few seconds during playback without the need to get the content from the network again. The seek responsiveness, at present, will be kept in these instances;

A Google engineer demonstrated that the change adopted ” will avert the caching of certain media content to disk in order to improve the device battery life for its users."

This change is here to stay. I think Microsoft should add a high performance mode where the power saving features are turned off for people who are plugged in on desktops and laptops or value performance over battery life.

Srolling is intermittent on several websites. I can scroll a small way into the window then it stops and I have to use the slider bar. @David Rubino