SOLVED

Sign in with a Google account - Discussion

Microsoft

Thanks for your feedback requesting the ability to sign in with a consumer Google account. From what we’re hearing, you’d like the ability to bring over data from Chrome, use your Google services and keep Microsoft Edge and Chrome in sync. 

While we recognize this need, we’re currently focused on creating great 1st party account experiences with your Microsoft account and Work or School account. We appreciate the feedback around supporting signing in with other providers such as Google and will be taking this under consideration.  One option available to you now would be to create a new Microsoft Account using your @gmail address, which would allow you to use a single user identifier across the various services you use. 

Today, you can import your data from Chrome by going to edge://settings/importData for a one time import. You can also sign into Google websites and remember your password in Microsoft Edge to reduce the number of times you need to sign into these websites. And you can access your Microsoft Edge data on the go by signing into Microsoft Edge with a Microsoft account and syncing with Microsoft Edge Mobile apps and Microsoft Edge on other devices 

We will keep you updated as we further explore support for other sign-in providers in Microsoft Edge as well, it is on our roadmap. 

328 Replies

@Wyatt C Jackson Yep. Just add

• microsoft says that they won't be adding this in anytime soon if at all
  • people still continue to argue
  • some people want it
  • some people don't mind
  • others are completely against it
  • everyone seems to forget that it isn't happening
  • repeat
Yes, it's very easy to do.

@Wyatt C Jackson 

@Wyatt C Jackson wrote:
The only reason I use chrome on Win10 is because I have passwords stored in my google account.

Have both Chrome and Edge installed on the same machine and then it takes a couple of clicks to move over all your data from there to Edge: edge://settings/importData

@CharlieMan 

Spoiler

@CharlieMan wrote:

@Elliot Kirk 

There's been a lot of feedback on both sides here, but at the very least it's clear that this is extremely controversial and you should think hard if and how you do it. Honestly nobody knows the full makeup or views of the majority Edge users more than Microsoft. The people here are a self selecting group.

That said, a few things stand out to me:

• Microsoft spent a substantial amount of time REMOVING Google services from Chromium.
  • Adding it back in a way that reintroduces ANY possibility of unwanted Google data collection would be counter to this effort.
  • The people who know about the effort to remove Google services from Edge are clearly very excited that Microsoft did this, and many people likely use Edge specifically because of this. I am one of those people.
  • Let's be honest though - most people probably use Edge for the same reason they used IE - it was the default of their computer. These people probably don't know its even possible to sign into Chrome, how to synchronize bookmarks to a phone, or what Chrome even is.

It is just not clear to me what the benefit of signing into Google sync is.

You can use Gmail, YouTube, etc on Edge just fine by signing into those websites. If people want full Google integration, there is literally a browser meant for that. Chrome. They should use Chrome. Why are they on Edge?

Maybe the reason is to use Edge on the desktop but to get it to sync to your Android phone? Or for people who can't install Chrome at work but want Edge to stay in sync with their personal computer? These sound like edge cases (pun intended) and should be addressed with an extension. Perhaps it should be an extension for Chrome or Android to update with Microsoft services data, not an extension in Edge to add Google data. Perhaps the same should exist for iCloud/Safari (if that's even possible). I just don't understand why someone would be adamant about using Edge while also only syncing via a Google account. You have an import process on first run. Who are you trying to woo over that would require exclusively Google sync? Don't make any changes until you fully understand the answer to this question.

If the concern is people want their bookmarks or tabs on their phone, the solution isn't to add Google sync, its to make Edge on mobile (and Edge sync) attractive enough to get people to use it on other devices. If you do integrate Google sync, I would integrate MANY sync services. Google, iCloud, Mozilla, etc. Make it standardized on how it handles the problem, as well as sandboxed in what it can do. Don't just add Google services back to Chrome. Add a bridge for syncing data over a contained and limited process so Google can't retroactively get their tentacles into Edge users, and so privacy supporters don't feel deterred by the addition. 

This strikes me as the perfect scenario for an extension or a sandboxed "generic sync services" option. Not for reGoogling Edge.

Why should Microsoft add google support? why google doesn't add Microsoft account login support to chrome to let users sync their stuff? huh?

this is Microsoft browser and there are easy ways to import data, there is NO need to add google integration or sign in of any form whatsoever.

the decision was already made on this side, now you can go to google forum and ask them if they will add Microsoft sync and sign in to their browser. literally, if google does it First then Microsoft should do it too.

there are disagreement over everything, that doesn't mean the decision needs to change. when a president is elected in a country and decision made, do you think people are 100% united and agreed about it? of course not. this is the same.

Also, It would be Insulting if Microsoft added google crap sign in to browser in any form. there won't be any reason to use Edge anymore, least not for me.

why the hell am I spending time testing this experimental Edge browser and not enjoy a stable chrome browser? why I accepted the risk and lost data over this browser to find bugs and fix them before others encounter them? because I want a Microsoft-only product. otherwise chrome is already there so i can just install it and forget Edge even existed. but no I'm testing, reporting feedback, trying to help to make this a better browser and I'm expecting Microsoft to respect me and keep it a Microsoft-only browser and don't compromise.

if Microsoft added google sign it it would be a spit in the face of all loyal users.

all the insiders, whether Windows insider, Edge insider etc, we want Microsoft product. there is absolutely no reason to include other companies crapware. we're not getting paid to test or help, it's with passion, so the least we expect is respect.

if anyone wants active sync between google and Microsoft, they should go and mention it to google first, see if they even consider this.

The Golden Solutuon: a third party browser that has Microsoft and Google sync. Run it with task scheduler every time you sign in. Now everyone keeps their privacy, and everyone is happy. (At least in theory.) Will start on it this afternoon.

@Wyatt C Jackson 

Yes, I've seen the message about it being "Not Planned" and I've seen the other requests for an extension. I was just adding my thoughts - Microsoft says they monitor this for the future even after deciding against a feature. 

Passwords, settings and autofill aside, we're talking about literally synchronizing a series of organized URLs: bookmarks, open tabs, history, extensions. There's no reason this can't be done in a sandboxed extension or generic sync option with severely restricted capabilities outside of that one function. 

It's the Google integration into the core code of the browser that has people up in arms. Without clearly defined restrictions and sandboxing, just making it "opt-in" isn't comforting enough for people trying to avoid the most adept internet spying company in the world.

Of course, I'm assuming Microsoft cares about the pro-privacy market. Literally the only reason I'm using Edge is because it's not Google. It's entirely possible Microsoft just wants market share, and will be happy to tell me to use Safari or Firefox for privacy.

@Wyatt C Jackson 

Spoiler

@Wyatt C Jackson wrote:
The Golden Solutuon: a third party browser that has Microsoft and Google sync. Run it with task scheduler every time you sign in. Now everyone keeps their privacy, and everyone is happy. (At least in theory.) Will start on it this afternoon.

You're gonna make it? good luck :)

but google sync is already in chrome so whoever needs it then use chrome. Edge uses chromium, chrome uses chromium too.

How to add google sync to Edge:
1. Create a library.
2. Add google sign-in to said library.
3. Add reference in edge.
4. Add button for google login.
5. Add google sync to the sync routine.
Easy as 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. Feature on the edge of devlopment. (Pun intended.)

@Wyatt C Jackson 

@Wyatt C Jackson wrote:
1. Create a library.

instructions unclear

accidentally deleted Blink engine

@Wyatt C Jackson wrote:
1. Create a library.

@HotCakeX  

instructions unclear

Critical error

OS was forced to reboot to prevent damages to hard drive

OS is looking for a problem

Problem found

Diagnosis: infinite loop detected.

Solution: Reminder that Microsoft is not planning to add support for Google accounts.

[This is me laughing].
Read the above.

@cjc2112 

Seems legit :thumbs_up:

There is a thumbs up button.
There ya go ( ͡°( ͡° ͜ʖ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ʖ ͡°) ͡°)

@cjc2112 wrote:
@Wyatt C Jackson wrote:
1. Create a library.

@HotCakeX  

instructions unclear

Critical error

OS was forced to reboot to prevent damages to hard drive

OS is looking for a problem

Problem found

Diagnosis: infinite loop detected.

Solution: Reminder that Microsoft is not planning to add support for Google accounts.

@cjc2112 

ROFLMAO.gif

Dennis5mile

Microsoft should publicise that unlike other browsers Chromium Edge allows both Importing and Exporting of many different kinds of data including favourites/bookmarks and passwords!

Password import only works with the new edge. Tried it with both.

So true, and Edge should offer import on first screen page, the welcome page to import data from other browser than Edge legacy or IE.

@Wyatt C Jackson 

@Wyatt C Jackson wrote:

Password import only works with the new edge. Tried it with both.

I just tried importing passwords from Edge legacy and Firefox and it worked. 

Microsoft Edge Version 83.0.477.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

FireFox 75

Microsoft Edge Legacy 44.19592.1001.0

i don't have chrome installed to try it