SOLVED

Sign in with a Google account - Discussion

Microsoft

Thanks for your feedback requesting the ability to sign in with a consumer Google account. From what we’re hearing, you’d like the ability to bring over data from Chrome, use your Google services and keep Microsoft Edge and Chrome in sync. 

While we recognize this need, we’re currently focused on creating great 1st party account experiences with your Microsoft account and Work or School account. We appreciate the feedback around supporting signing in with other providers such as Google and will be taking this under consideration.  One option available to you now would be to create a new Microsoft Account using your @gmail address, which would allow you to use a single user identifier across the various services you use. 

Today, you can import your data from Chrome by going to edge://settings/importData for a one time import. You can also sign into Google websites and remember your password in Microsoft Edge to reduce the number of times you need to sign into these websites. And you can access your Microsoft Edge data on the go by signing into Microsoft Edge with a Microsoft account and syncing with Microsoft Edge Mobile apps and Microsoft Edge on other devices 

We will keep you updated as we further explore support for other sign-in providers in Microsoft Edge as well, it is on our roadmap. 

328 Replies
Microsoft already made their decision, this google integration is Not Planned, you can also see the status on Top feedback list.
https://aka.ms/MSEdgeTopFeedback

It's Not safe to use google services. people who use Edge choose it for a reason. to stay away from google data mining operations and spyware.

@Elliot Kirk 

I think syncing between Microsoft Edge and Chrome should be removed as a person using Microsoft Edge should use Microsoft Edge and not Chrome as some people would start using Chrome and keep using Chrome without using Microsoft Edge and I want to see Market Share of this browser reaching heights and I am a fan of Microsoft Edge since it was released in Windows 10 Technical Preview in 2015 and I don't want to see again the failure of more people not using Microsoft Edge.

100% absolutely agree with this, just the truth

@HotCakeX I'm puzzled why you're so hell-bent on opposing this. If Google sign-in did in fact get implemented, no one would be forcing you to use it—all your data wouldn't be magically sent to Google just because there's an option to use their services.

If it was offered, I would personally love to switch to Edge on Windows for performance reasons. However, I don't want to permanently move everything over to Microsoft just yet. For one, I don't like Edge's UI on Android and I don't want to maintain two disjoint sets of data for no good reason.

It doesn't even have to be built directly into the browser; if there was an additional first-party module or extension you could install by yourself, I would be all for it. The only reason why this has even been suggested is because this is ultimately a browser built by Google and the option to sync with their servers already comes with Chromium. Thus, your exaggerations of them adding support for Facebook or Twitter next are moot, on top of the glaring fact that they don't even handle browser data.

You can argue all day about Google's surveillance practices; I won't be defending them for any of it. However, even if we consider the idea that they mine your data, your bookmarks and passwords mostly certainly aren't included in that. On the same note, it is absolutely hypocritical for you to claim that Microsoft is suddenly such a champion of privacy and only means the best for its users. I'm not sure if you remember the entire Windows 10 telemetry fiasco or them forcing 3rd party apps down your throat on an OS you've paid for—both of which are still applicable and can't be entirely turned off to this day. If privacy is going to be your main defense, then you should be using Linux and Firefox, not Windows and Edge.

@encryptedcurse 

Spoiler

@encryptedcurse wrote:

@HotCakeX I'm puzzled why you're so hell-bent on opposing this. If Google sign-in did in fact get implemented, no one would be forcing you to use it—all your data wouldn't be magically sent to Google just because there's an option to use their services.

If it was offered, I would personally love to switch to Edge on Windows for performance reasons. However, I don't want to permanently move everything over to Microsoft just yet. For one, I don't like Edge's UI on Android and I don't want to maintain two disjoint sets of data for no good reason.

It doesn't even have to be built directly into the browser; if there was an additional first-party module or extension you could install by yourself, I would be all for it. The only reason why this has even been suggested is because this is ultimately a browser built by Google and the option to sync with their servers already comes with Chromium. Thus, your exaggerations of them adding support for Facebook or Twitter next are moot, on top of the glaring fact that they don't even handle browser data.

You can argue all day about Google's surveillance practices; I won't be defending them for any of it. However, even if we consider the idea that they mine your data, your bookmarks and passwords mostly certainly aren't included in that. On the same note, it is absolutely hypocritical for you to claim that Microsoft is suddenly such a champion of privacy and only means the best for its users. I'm not sure if you remember the entire Windows 10 telemetry fiasco or them forcing 3rd party apps down your throat on an OS you've paid for—both of which are still applicable and can't be entirely turned off to this day. If privacy is going to be your main defense, then you should be using Linux and Firefox, not Windows and Edge.

Microsoft already made their decision, this google integration is Not Planned, you can also see the status on Top feedback list.

this browser is made by Microsoft, not googool. Chromium is open source made by people, not a single company. Microsoft contributed a lot to the project.

Chromium is made on top of webkit, so one can even say it's stolen from apple.

googool can definitely access bookmarks, password and everything else. there is nothing stopping them once data is on the server.

Windows 10 telemetry? lol yeah i remember some dumb people created tools and called it things like destroy Windows spying. very ridiculous how they use smartphones all the time and hand over all their data to googool and apple and then complain when Microsoft asks for problem reports and diagnostics to fix Windows. and same people complained again when Windows had problem with an old 10 years old hardware driver, they made it all news headlines that Windows has problem when in fact they blocked Windows diagnostics and prevented it from working properly.

apple gathers a lot more info on mac and ios but no one complains.

Microsoft's business is about providing services, Not data mining.

I see that the problem goes with you apparently that you continue in a topic already closed long ago, if you want the services of google then go to chrome, do not make you so much problem, all collect information, some more than others. This is a Microsoft application that has its own accounts is not a small business, if both want to want google then go there, there are endless browsers that can give you what you want, only you choose, no one forces you to stay here.

@AnphirAddoN I'm well aware the decision was already made. I wasn't replying to the original post. The fanboyism in this thread is truly staggering.

@encryptedcurse 

@encryptedcurse wrote:

I'm well aware the decision was already made. I wasn't replying to the original post. The fanboyism in this thread is truly staggering.

Everything I mentioned in the previous comment were facts.

At least, users can download Edge source code, last I say it was in Microsoft's github, add google login, and not have to wait for Microsoft to make a decision.

I use Microsoft products for my personal life, and Google products for both my school and personal life. If Microsoft adds Google login to edge, then I will use Cortona on pc more. Also, i use edge on Xbox occasionally and would love to have my passwords synced to xbox occasionally. Syncing history and open tabs will only be a bonus. As it is, I have configured Chrome to open a fresh set of tabs when I open it anyway. Also, I don't know if I can get edge on win7. My most used pc is on win7 as we can't afford a win10 license yet.

@Wyatt C Jackson 

Spoiler

@Wyatt C Jackson wrote:
At least, users can download Edge source code, last I say it was in Microsoft's github, add google login, and not have to wait for Microsoft to make a decision.

I use Microsoft products for my personal life, and Google products for both my school and personal life. If Microsoft adds Google login to edge, then I will use Cortona on pc more. Also, i use edge on Xbox occasionally and would love to have my passwords synced to xbox occasionally. Syncing history and open tabs will only be a bonus. As it is, I have configured Chrome to open a fresh set of tabs when I open it anyway. Also, I don't know if I can get edge on win7. My most used pc is on win7 as we can't afford a win10 license yet.

I can't tell the connection between Cortana and google login..

but anyways, Edge is available for Windows 7

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/edge/

gfdgfd.png

also Microsoft for almost 2 entire years showed notifications on all Windows 7 and 8.1 owners to get Free Windows 10 license. you didn't get that?

I never said I couldn't get it on win7. And our win7 PC's we got used after the free upgrade. I do have a win10 pc, but it doesn't have my software devlopment tooltip and I am not an admin on any of the PC's. I might try compiling it later now that I now it works on win7.

The issue with Cortana is that it opens edge, even with chrome being my default browser.

@Wyatt C Jackson 

Okay sounds good :thumbs_up:

Yes but if you set the new Edge browser as default you can open Cortana links in it. it works with all 4 channels. Edge and Chrome both use the same engine so

Do I need to download the new edge, or is it in the Windows update?
It's not yet rolled out to everyone through Windows update, they are doing it in phases.

you can download the stable channel from here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/edge/

and insider channels from here:
https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-us/
If most, but don't get too complicated if you want that so badly, then look for a group that will create an extension and fixed issue. If not, then keep using chrome, you should not insist on using a browser that does not give you what you need. I just hope you use it when there are many who ask for things that in the end don't even use it.
The only reason I use chrome on Win10 is because I have passwords stored in my google account.

@Wyatt C Jackson You should be able to import your passwords from chrome along with your favorites.

I will look into it tomorrow. I an not really able to try today.

@Elliot Kirk 

There's been a lot of feedback on both sides here, but at the very least it's clear that this is extremely controversial and you should think hard if and how you do it. Honestly nobody knows the full makeup or views of the majority Edge users more than Microsoft. The people here are a self selecting group.

That said, a few things stand out to me:

• Microsoft spent a substantial amount of time REMOVING Google services from Chromium.
  • Adding it back in a way that reintroduces ANY possibility of unwanted Google data collection would be counter to this effort.
  • The people who know about the effort to remove Google services from Edge are clearly very excited that Microsoft did this, and many people likely use Edge specifically because of this. I am one of those people.
  • Let's be honest though - most people probably use Edge for the same reason they used IE - it was the default of their computer. These people probably don't know its even possible to sign into Chrome, how to synchronize bookmarks to a phone, or what Chrome even is.

It is just not clear to me what the benefit of signing into Google sync is.

You can use Gmail, YouTube, etc on Edge just fine by signing into those websites. If people want full Google integration, there is literally a browser meant for that. Chrome. They should use Chrome. Why are they on Edge?

Maybe the reason is to use Edge on the desktop but to get it to sync to your Android phone? Or for people who can't install Chrome at work but want Edge to stay in sync with their personal computer? These sound like edge cases (pun intended) and should be addressed with an extension. Perhaps it should be an extension for Chrome or Android to update with Microsoft services data, not an extension in Edge to add Google data. Perhaps the same should exist for iCloud/Safari (if that's even possible). I just don't understand why someone would be adamant about using Edge while also only syncing via a Google account. You have an import process on first run. Who are you trying to woo over that would require exclusively Google sync? Don't make any changes until you fully understand the answer to this question.

If the concern is people want their bookmarks or tabs on their phone, the solution isn't to add Google sync, its to make Edge on mobile (and Edge sync) attractive enough to get people to use it on other devices. If you do integrate Google sync, I would integrate MANY sync services. Google, iCloud, Mozilla, etc. Make it standardized on how it handles the problem, as well as sandboxed in what it can do. Don't just add Google services back to Chrome. Add a bridge for syncing data over a contained and limited process so Google can't retroactively get their tentacles into Edge users, and so privacy supporters don't feel deterred by the addition. 

This strikes me as the perfect scenario for an extension or a sandboxed "generic sync services" option. Not for reGoogling Edge.

@CharlieMan I believe that there has been a fair number of posts for an extension.

Summary:
-People want google sign in.
-Other people strongly disagree.
-Other people are actively hostile agents the idea.
-People are proposing opt-in or an extension.
-People are continuing to strongly disagree.
-People are unable to reach a decision.
That seem right?