SOLVED

Sign in with a Google account - Discussion

Microsoft

Thanks for your feedback requesting the ability to sign in with a consumer Google account. From what we’re hearing, you’d like the ability to bring over data from Chrome, use your Google services and keep Microsoft Edge and Chrome in sync. 

While we recognize this need, we’re currently focused on creating great 1st party account experiences with your Microsoft account and Work or School account. We appreciate the feedback around supporting signing in with other providers such as Google and will be taking this under consideration.  One option available to you now would be to create a new Microsoft Account using your @gmail address, which would allow you to use a single user identifier across the various services you use. 

Today, you can import your data from Chrome by going to edge://settings/importData for a one time import. You can also sign into Google websites and remember your password in Microsoft Edge to reduce the number of times you need to sign into these websites. And you can access your Microsoft Edge data on the go by signing into Microsoft Edge with a Microsoft account and syncing with Microsoft Edge Mobile apps and Microsoft Edge on other devices 

We will keep you updated as we further explore support for other sign-in providers in Microsoft Edge as well, it is on our roadmap. 

328 Replies
Nah, words are not the proof nor facts. actually you can say whatever you want which doesn't change the truth.

updates? how about Android security updates? Google is keeping the WORLD by the short hair with their security updates for devices. flagships only receive them for 2 years max, let alone the cheaper phones.

How is that even related to China?
China is smart enough to make their own Android phones without relying on Google, they just proved they don't need Google and their equivalent for Google services is already on the way, released. that's a hard slap to the stupid sanctions and Google in general.

Facts.. You have no facts. If you had facts you would not be asking me to do the research you would just post links to them. Myself and several others here have already post many links about google being taken to court and etcetera as proof of what we say... But you. I see nothing but words and NO facts.....

Nice fairy tail though.

Dennis5mile

User choice is always a good thing @Manu99 We each have our reasons for our preferences.
Honestly if they do it like this
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/sign-in-with-a-google-account-discussion/m-p/1129...
then it will respect everyone's choice and preference, without compromising any data

@cjc2112 only since 2017 and only for certain models, and even then while the mechanical parts are shared, the electronics are unique to each; so a transmission from an F-150 wouldn't work in a Silverado even though they're the same. So my point still stands. :lol:

best response
Solution

Hey, everyone! Thanks so much for this discussion, we've learned a lot from your comments. We'd like to first make it clear that we do not plan to integrate Google services into Microsoft Edge by default. We are considering including an opt-in experience for users to attach their Google account to Microsoft Edge but are not ready to make a decision on it just yet.

I'd like to take this time to reiterate what Elliot posted back in November: One option available to you today to use a single user identifier across the various services you use is to create a new Microsoft Account using a @gmail address. 

As you know, you can currently import your data from Chrome by going to edge://settings/importData. You can also sign into Google websites and remember your password in Microsoft Edge to reduce the number of times you need to sign in. Accessing your Microsoft Edge data on-the-go is easily done by signing into Microsoft Edge with a Microsoft account and syncing with Microsoft Edge across other devices and mobile.

As always, we will update here once we have more information. Please continue to provide your feedback and suggestions around this feature; the team will continue to review feedback even if we have moved something to Not Planned.

That's great news, thanks for the wise decision!

@MissyQ "We are considering including an opt-in experience for users to attach their Google account to Microsoft Edge but are not ready to make a decision on it just yet."

I'm glad that Microsoft has made the decision not to integrate Google services by default.  I think that integrating Google services by default would have been a poor choice given Microsoft's initial efforts to "unGoogle" Edge.

I have no problem with Microsoft allowing individual users to attach their Google account to Microsoft Edge using a toggle. 

As indicated in an earlier comment, I also have no problem with allowing users who want to do so to toggle on other linkages to Google services because many consumers are tied into the Google ecosystem and want to be, but Microsoft has to implement those linkages in such a way so that the toggle feature works similarly to "Turn Windows features on or off" in the Control Panel -- the necessary linkage code would be added to Edge when and if and only if the toggle was turned "On" by the user in each case, but would not otherwise be included in Edge.  Microsoft should not embed linkages to Google services in the default code.

That'd the best decision ever made, @MissyQ . I think those who want Google Account should use Chrome and not Edge. When one uses Firefox, they don't need to sign-in with a Google Account as well. Each browser with unique account is what one should strive for.

I really don't care if you if don't implement the ability to sign in with Chrome, but I'd like to have passwords saved separately from the browser. It prompts you to delete the passwords when you clear browser history but I find that makes it rather easy to clear the passwords as well. I feel like there should be a much better way to accomplish this. Think Apple's keychain, but modernized. @Elliot Kirk 

Do not allow it! that will only spoil the experience and take away identity from Edge/MS!
This is Microsoft, not Google.

@quietrobot They've already decided against it. https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/top-feedback-summary-for-february-11/m-p/1167413 Its in the not planned at the bottom of the first table.

@quietrobot 

@quietrobot wrote:
Do not allow it! that will only spoil the experience and take away identity from Edge/MS!
This is Microsoft, not Google.

Well said

Kudos +

@ChipBoundary Good point! I have a hunch that privacy exists more in our imaginations than in reality. I am always amused by those who seem highly concerned about Microsoft or Google gathering data from their email messages or search histories, but seem quite comfortable sharing their life stories on Facebook! LOL And, of course, some of the posters here are probably not old enough to know about the stunts Microsoft used to pull to kill off competition. MS used to spend a lot of time in court, didn't they?

To the point of this discussion, though, I like the new Edge, and am using it as my default browser and, yes, I am still a Google user. Everything works just fine. I have a Chromebook that I use infrequently when I travel, and it doesn't really matter that much that it won't sync with my Edge stuff. But I don't really understand the objections people have to the concept of being able to sync Edge with a Google account. After all, one of the big advantages of the new Edge is its ability to use the Chrome Web Store. Are the people objecting to integration with Google accounts also objecting to the use of Google's Chrome Web Store services? I don't think so. Anyway, it was just a thought, and I didn't mean to stir up a lot of US vs THEM arguments. 

@QuietType 

Spoiler

@QuietType wrote:

@ChipBoundary Good point! I have a hunch that privacy exists more in our imaginations than in reality. I am always amused by those who seem highly concerned about Microsoft or Google gathering data from their email messages or search histories, but seem quite comfortable sharing their life stories on Facebook! LOL And, of course, some of the posters here are probably not old enough to know about the stunts Microsoft used to pull to kill off competition. MS used to spend a lot of time in court, didn't they?

To the point of this discussion, though, I like the new Edge, and am using it as my default browser and, yes, I am still a Google user. Everything works just fine. I have a Chromebook that I use infrequently when I travel, and it doesn't really matter that much that it won't sync with my Edge stuff. But I don't really understand the objections people have to the concept of being able to sync Edge with a Google account. After all, one of the big advantages of the new Edge is its ability to use the Chrome Web Store. Are the people objecting to integration with Google accounts also objecting to the use of Google's Chrome Web Store services? I don't think so. Anyway, it was just a thought, and I didn't mean to stir up a lot of US vs THEM arguments. 

Age is irrelevant. a 10 years old can have more brain and knowledge than a 50 years old.

you don't know whether those who are concerned about their privacy post their personal pics on Facebook or not.

Also Google's business plan revolves around data, Microsoft's business revolves around providing services.

I've linked articles throughout this topic you can review them.

Chrome extensions have clear boundaries on what data they can access on user's computer, you don't give full access to the extensions you install.

Google briefly explains the security model for extensions in the following blog post:

http://blog.chromium.org/2009/12/security-in-depth-extension-system.html

Only install extensions by trusted sources.

I'm part of people who need to use multiple accounts, and at the current moment I can't really get rid of chrome.

I have two browsers that I use: Chrome and Edge. I love edge (more like will love, waiting on that collections feature in the stable release) because of its features, but I can't live without chrome because of accounts. My organisation does not allow sync with a microsoft work account, which prevents me from saving anything and syncing from device to device, but allows sync of everything with a work google account. In my opinion, an option to log into a google account (integrated by putting the option to enable 3rd party account log ins in the setting) would be quite dandy as that would allow me to switch from 2 browsers to one. But if that can't be done, and microsoft is forced to integrate google as a whole into the edge browser, I'd rather not have the google account profiles. 

But seeing that they are going to include it as an opt-in, I'm happy. I'm probably going to opt-in to use my google account, and on the day I am allowed to do that, is the day I ditch chrome completely. Even before, Edge integrated most of the functions I'll ever need that can be found in chrome's extension store, like the ability to read websites more easily, but now that new edge allows extensions, I don't have a single reason to go back to chrome (except maybe for nostalgia reasons)

Microsoft already made their decision, this google integration is Not Planned, you can also see the status on Top feedback list.
Oh, bummer, alright, thank you for the information!
You're welcome!

@Elliot Kirk I think people can don't log in to google account if don't to. Just let us choose to log in google, microsoft or both account if they want. I think it will be better because we can use google service of microsoft both.