SOLVED

Sign in with a Google account - Discussion

Microsoft

Thanks for your feedback requesting the ability to sign in with a consumer Google account. From what we’re hearing, you’d like the ability to bring over data from Chrome, use your Google services and keep Microsoft Edge and Chrome in sync. 

While we recognize this need, we’re currently focused on creating great 1st party account experiences with your Microsoft account and Work or School account. We appreciate the feedback around supporting signing in with other providers such as Google and will be taking this under consideration.  One option available to you now would be to create a new Microsoft Account using your @gmail address, which would allow you to use a single user identifier across the various services you use. 

Today, you can import your data from Chrome by going to edge://settings/importData for a one time import. You can also sign into Google websites and remember your password in Microsoft Edge to reduce the number of times you need to sign into these websites. And you can access your Microsoft Edge data on the go by signing into Microsoft Edge with a Microsoft account and syncing with Microsoft Edge Mobile apps and Microsoft Edge on other devices 

We will keep you updated as we further explore support for other sign-in providers in Microsoft Edge as well, it is on our roadmap. 

328 Replies
Ik heb een Google account omdat dat verplicht is om een Android smartphone te gebruiken want verder gebruik ik zo min mogelijk Google produkten maar helaas zijn er waar je niet onderuit kunt. Ik krijg regelmatig mail van Google dat mijn Google-account ongebruikt is en wordt afgesloten!? Ik heb geen idee wat zoiets teweeg brengt met mijn Android phone maar gebruik dan maar een keer het account ergens voor. Verder altijd alles uit staan van Google in mijn Android phone. In app's, websites enz. gebruik ik altijd mijn MS-account. Ik vind het vreselijk irritant dat Onedrive niet opkomt in mijn Android phone als mogelijke cloudopslag, wel drive en Dropbox. Het lukt me ook niet om Onedrive toe tevoegen op dat moment. Ik gebruik Edge ook op mijn Android phone. Outlook heeft ook problemen met contacten in mijn Android phone want werkt niet juist als ik de Google app Contacten uitzet en bv de OnePlus app Contacten gebruik. Op een of andere manier moet de Google app Contacten aan blijven want de foutmelding in Outlook is 'no native app found' als ik een nieuw Contact wil aanmaken en opslaan in Outlook. Want ik sync al mijn contacten incl. alle gegevens via Outlook over de cloud naar al mijn apparaten. Google werkt echt niet mee en blijftvhun eigen app's VERPLICHTEN op mijn Android phone van OnePlus. In de surface duo 2 staan ook alle denkbare Google app's voorgeïnstalleerd terwijl voor bijna alles ook de MS app's zijn geïnstalleerd. Ik ben benieuwd of de Google app's te verwijderen zijn of alleen uit te zetten, of dat er ook zijn die aan moeten blijven staan en niet uit kan zetten of verwijderen? In Windows 11 kunnen Android app's gebruikt worden, snel Lumia phone uitbrengen met Windows 11 mobile!
So Basically:
I already HAVE a Google Account and use Google Chrome predominantly on just about any device. Google has all my browsing habits. I CAN LIVE WITH THAT.
I use all google services all over the place.

Now Microsoft brings out a competing product, which is suppoesed to be an alternative to Chrome.
There is no way i gonna use it, if i am not able to log in with my Google account and keep all my browsers in sync with google. Because i am not gonna switch all my 6 different accounts at once, nor do i stop using chrome on all devices i have at the same time.
If there is no way of bringing added passwords and bookmarks back to Google, so i can use both systems at the same time, im not going to switch to Edge whatsoever ...
Once the transition is done, i can turn that off, but hard cut is not going to work out for me.

I am actually realtively fine with edge, but as long as the transition is not smooth, its not gonna happen.
Thank you for replying to my question. Having both systems running on my desktop has confused me so I will find someone to come and organize my programs and applications. I am in a transition now and not sure which ones to keep.
I appreciate your efforts to help me. Have a good day!

Thank you,that was the best response the best advice, Thank You. 

Sincerely Cathy Roberts 320. Kirk 

@Elliot Kirk I personally love this idea. It would be super nice to be able to have all my Microsoft Edge (which I use on most of my devices) favourites, extensions and extension data, and everything else synced with Chrome (which is usually the required browser for my organisation’s devices- and is required on my iPhone as well, as I am not able to use Edge). I can also see how this would be useful to Android users who use Chrome, not Edge, on their phones, as well as users of Chromebooks.

I do agree though, this should be an optional toggle to bring Google integration.

Here’s the problem. As mentioned earlier, there are many organisations that use Google accounts, which therefore creates a roadblock for those that use Edge personally. I also honestly don’t see why you would care. If you don’t want Google to have access to your data, don’t connect it to Google. Use your Microsoft account. It’s that simple. It’s not fair for those who would love this feature very much and want to have all their bookmarks, history, and passwords all in one place to just not add it just because there’s others who don’t want Google in Edge. Don’t connect it to Google if you don’t want it.
The point isn’t to sign in, though. It’s to be able to have all the browsing data synced between Chrome and Edge.

So your comments about Apple and Facebook are pretty irrelevant, since Apple is extremely protective and closed off and would never allow anything to sync with Safari (heck, you can only use Safari on Apple devices), and Meta doesn’t even have a browser. So that’s entirely irrelevant.

@Elliot Kirk Seeing cross company accessibility like this is really inspiring.