SOLVED

Sign in with a Google account - Discussion

Microsoft

Thanks for your feedback requesting the ability to sign in with a consumer Google account. From what we’re hearing, you’d like the ability to bring over data from Chrome, use your Google services and keep Microsoft Edge and Chrome in sync. 

While we recognize this need, we’re currently focused on creating great 1st party account experiences with your Microsoft account and Work or School account. We appreciate the feedback around supporting signing in with other providers such as Google and will be taking this under consideration.  One option available to you now would be to create a new Microsoft Account using your @gmail address, which would allow you to use a single user identifier across the various services you use. 

Today, you can import your data from Chrome by going to edge://settings/importData for a one time import. You can also sign into Google websites and remember your password in Microsoft Edge to reduce the number of times you need to sign into these websites. And you can access your Microsoft Edge data on the go by signing into Microsoft Edge with a Microsoft account and syncing with Microsoft Edge Mobile apps and Microsoft Edge on other devices 

We will keep you updated as we further explore support for other sign-in providers in Microsoft Edge as well, it is on our roadmap. 

328 Replies
Reminder: if you have edge on your phone, be sure to sync passwords as it seems not to have that enabled by default.
"
How to add google sync to Edge:
1. Create a library.
2. Add google sign-in to said library.
3. Add reference in edge.
4. Add button for google login.
5. Add google sync to the sync routine.
Easy as 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. Feature on the edge of devlopment. (Pun intended.)
"

Ok. So it isn't as easy as I thought. The chronium source code isn't as organized as I would imagine it to be. And until microsoft can get the new edge properly open sourced, the project will have to be put on hold. I will post the code on github as I work on it so anyone can see the progress and contribute.

@Elliot Kirk 

Edge doesn't need the ability to have people sign in with a Google account. Those people are just being lazy and don't want to go through the effort of making a Microsoft account. There are many Windows users and many people that use Xboxes, all of them require a Microsoft account so enough people have a Microsoft account. I don't mind having to have three accounts to keep track of (Google for my android phone, Microsoft for my computer and Xbox, and Yahoo for my Fitbit account), it may be a challenge but not enough people actually face big challenges anymore. There are worse things that you can have to deal with than creating a new account for a service. Google services shouldn't have to be put back into Edge and forced upon all the Edge users out there because of a minority.

I now that I have a G-Suit account for school, that I have my school related passwords stored in (these have been imported into my Microsoft account via Edge), a personal Google account that I use on my phone and on Linux (these passwords have been imported into Edge, but should be synced), and then I have my Microsoft account that I use in Microsoft Edge, Windows 10, and Xbox. If I could keep all of these accounts synced, that would be nice.

Also, I haven't started on my Google/Microsoft account syncer yet.

@Mason425 it's not a laziness thing. It's a security thing.

All browsers/apps should support being able to sign in with whatever major authentication service they want and do things in an OAuth way.

Major Auth providers to me would be: Microsoft, Google, Apple, Facebook, Twitter.

If I can sign in to Dropbox with a Google or Apple account, why can't I sign in to a web browser with my Google account and MS create an account w/o a password on the backend.

The more accounts I have to have, the more likely an account gets compromised.

If I have one highly secured account it significantly reduces the likelihood of an account being compromised because they have to compromise the account on the main provider (google)... which would be immensely difficult due to the number of security controls I add on top of u/p.

@Elliot Kirk I don't think this has been mentioned here yet, but I am interested to compare some ideas...

It seems to me that it is Microsoft's intention, through the new Chromium Edge, to provide a (really useful feature packed resilient and secure) browser for all, that is totally cross-platform, and which users have the choice of whether they prefer to sign in via Microsoft - and/or Google if they need access to some Google services via Edge.

Whereas, (to me and perhaps to others) it feels like Google provided Chrome for everyone to use, but their focus is to politely force everyone to use Google's own services.

I am particularly wary of Google thinking of the way in which they blocked Windows Phone and Windows 10 Mobile from accessing their services - especially YouTube.  Some of Google's products and services are extremely easy to use and worthwhile - and now that Edge works with Google Chromecast for example, it is really quite exciting.  

@Elliot Kirk 

I HATE Google.

@HotCakeX 

I agree with you, I HATE Google, as it's not even thinking about us Microsoft fans.

Kam

I don't understand. I have never had a problem with using Google products and services.

@Wyatt C Jackson 

No, I mean people think Microsoft copies Google, but look at this community, for example, and you will realize that Google doesn't have a public community like this.

Google has a fourm.

@Wyatt C Jackson 

Yeah, but it seems like it copied Microsoft.

You could argue that Bing copied Google. And just not Bing. You got Yahoo, Ask, and more.
Oh. And was Stack Exchange copied, or a copy.

@Wyatt C Jackson 

Now I'm getting very confused, are you a fan of Google or Microsoft?

@Wyatt C Jackson  @HotCakeX 

HotCakeX, can you please solve this argument?

@Wyatt C Jackson 

See? Graham said "I am particularly wary of Google thinking of the way in which they blocked Windows Phone and Windows 10 Mobile from accessing their services - especially YouTube. "

Both. I use the Google search engine in the Edge browser.
I am also a fan of Linux, Wordpress, Stack Exchange, Free Open Source software, Malwarebytes. and the Raspberry Pi foundation.

And look at Google's privacy rating.

kam_2011_0-1589403936914.png