We're Listening!

Microsoft

Greetings Microsoft Edge Insiders!

Let us start off by saying, welcome to the Microsoft Edge Insider community! We’re so excited to have you here, and we can’t wait to start learning from you. If you haven’t read our Welcome to the Microsoft Edge Insider community article yet, we recommend starting there. It has a bunch of great information on how we got here and where we’re heading.
listening-graphic1.png
Our mission:
Our mission is to create a thriving community of valuable Insiders, like you, so we can closely listen and learn how Microsoft Edge can be better. We believe that having open, honest, and continued conversations with our Insider community is a great way to build a close relationship with our users.

Why do all of this? Because we want to build a browser that’s deeply grounded in your needs. Your voice is the most important piece of helping us build a better Microsoft Edge. The feedback you provide leads to meaningful conversations that may ultimately produce the new features, bug fixes, and other improvements that matter the most to you. Listening is just the beginning for us. Our true goal is to build Microsoft Edge with the voice of the Insider community as our guiding light.

Community voice

When we announced the next version of Microsoft Edge back in December, we asked a simple question: If you could change one thing about the web, what would it be?
listening-graphic2.png
We were completely humbled by the over 40k comments you’ve shared with us. That’s a whole lot of ideas. Thank you!

You tell us that you love some things about the current Microsoft Edge browser, like the smooth scrolling experience, our Fluent Design and the precision touchpad, and you hope we’ll bring those things forward into the next version too.

Some of you are frustrated with the way that sites render so differently depending on the browser you're using to view them. You also tell us that Web Standards are on the top of your mind. We hear that you want all browsers to adopt the same standards. We hear from some of you web developers that you want new capabilities added to the web platform; whether that be in CSS, HTML or JavaScript. Another top request is an improved dev tools experience.

We hear that you have strong feelings about online advertising. Some of you wish ads that pop-up would just disappear and the same for auto-playing ads. While others feel a strong desire to remove or fundamentally change how online advertising works on the web. There is concern how these advertisements enable sites to track you as you browse which feels "creepy" and "invasive."

The overwhelming majority of comments (we’re talking thousands of messages) that we have read wish for a change in the fundamental attributes of the web. Make it faster, safer, more reliable and more private. You want your browsers to have smaller memory footprints, lower battery consumption, higher rendering speed and better stability. We agree with you wholeheartedly! The attributes that you say matter most in your browsing experience are performance, privacy, and reliability. So that is where we are starting.
listening-graphic3.png
We are focusing on delivering outstanding fundamentals. Speed, stability, accessibility, compatibility, security, and privacy are always top of mind for us. We are using your comments and suggestions to guide us while we are getting the new Microsoft Edge ready for its debut.

What’s next?
In the meantime, jump in, download the Microsoft Edge Insider Channels, and let us know what you think. What’s working well? Where do we need to improve? Over time, we hope to build healthy engagement and feedback loops with our community members.

listening-graphic4.png
We’re also mindful that our users have preferred ways to engage with us. Whether you view the latest information on the Microsoft Edge Insider website, enjoy direct discussions on our forum, need a personal support assistant via help (F1), share your feedback and suggestions via the smiley face, or just want to give us a shout on Twitter, we’re always listening and looking for ways to reach out wherever our users feel most comfortable and prefer to talk to us. We’re all ears!

Thank you for being here. We look forward to listening and engaging with you.

-The Microsoft Edge Team-

1,189 Replies

@Elliot Kirk 

Love to have edge at chromiun 

keep us inform of when will get out of insider testing

@elcubanito 

Some of us have suggested it might be released with 1909... but, that's mostly a (somewhat logical) guess, right now.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Elliot Kirk How do I post queries related to the chromium-based Edge browser I have started using ? Noticed that some extensions I had installed from Microsoft Web Store don't seem to work, as they are 'greyed-out' unlike in the regular Edge browser. Also, it there a way one can give feedback / suggestions under different sub-heads on this Chromium-based Edge browser Dev Channel release ?

@Ramesh_Iyer 

Hi Ramesh,

Allow me to answer you.  Beside putting your comments & queries in this Forum there are 2 ways available.  One is submit via Edge Insider Support. The other is using Mr. :) located at the top-right of the browser window.  Click on that to submit Feedback.
Smiley.jpg

About extensions: For Edge C, MS Store extensions may not work OR one may not find a certain extension offered by MS.  However, one can, also, pull extensions from the Chrome Store.  Check out what is available there to replace what is faded & more; if what you seek is not in MS extensions, you may very likely find it in Chrome.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Drew1903 Thanks Drew. Will use both / either option to share my feedback on Edge Insider Program. 

BTW, the extension I want is available in MS Web Store but remains greyed out on installation. But it isn't available in Chrome Store. Maybe the MS Web Store doesn't have the updated version of the extension.

But, the same extension when I install in my regular Edge browser (not the Chromium-based one) has the same extension working fine. So, something is broken in this Edge version, I presume. Anyway, this is a Dev channel release, so will probably get sorted out over time, before its final stable version launch.

@Ramesh_Iyer 

You're welcome.

What is the specific extension to which you refer?

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Drew1903 Hi Drew, I use McAfee A/v which installs a McAfee WebAdvisor extn/add-on in IE, FF, & Chrome by itself. One has to install it manually from MS-Store in Edge (regular) which works fine. But, when I did so in Edge (Chromium) it installs without a hitch but remains greyed out on all websites. After your initial response to my original post, I removed the extn and tried to find it on Chrome Store from within Edge-Chromium, but it isn't available there. So, right now I feel kinda' less 'safe & secure' using Edge-C without any a/v support in it. Have posted this as a 'feedback' using a option on the toolbar. Hope someone fixes it soon !

Cheers

Ramesh

@Ramesh_Iyer 

Ramesh,

I have a hunch you will not like what I have say in response.  Uninstall McAfee.  Between Windows 10 & Edge or Edge C there is no reason not to feel safe & secure.  And that is without something as unnecessary as McAfee.  I have oft removed it for clients & certainly, never recommended it.  And, it's not needed, anyway. With McAfee gone you won't be thinking or suggesting something needs to be fixed, soon, either.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Drew1903 

Yes Drew, I have read about it in many other forums as well. Most techies advise removing McAfee products even though they have improved over time. Some suggest keeping Windows Defender and buying Malwarebytes as WD & M'bytes will work in tandem not overlapping each other (like WD and any A/v suite would). But MB isn't present in my geographic region so support would be an issue as also buying a premium version. The McAfee product I use was pre-installed in my Dell PC I bought last year, so was just living with it, till I am "forced" to buy a new one when McAfee product expires in Oct'19.

Like most folks, I have become 'conditioned' by a/v firms to HAVE a 'robust' security suite in the PC (pricier the better :)  )

As I do all my online shopping and Banking etc. from my PC, I feel having a sec-suite would give me peace of mind (what with ransomware threats lurking around !).

BTW. if you suggest removing McAfee altogether and not replacing it with another sec-suite, won't web browsers need to be secured ? Heard that never versions of BitDefender & Kaspersky offer anti-ransomware, sand-boxing for safe online financial transactions, etc.

Cheers

Ramesh

Hello @Ramesh,

All I use is Windows Security, built-in. Knock on wood, it's caught everything that's been thrown at it. I also have Malwarebytes installed that I use once in a while.

Regards,

Dan

@Ramesh_Iyer 

Ramesh,

Let me clarify a few things and I won't mince words.  Even when computers come with 3rd party A-Vs in them, the End User is not obliged to use them. When I have clients with new machines (including laptops) one of the 1st things I do for them is dump that A-V.  As I said, with Windows 10 it is not needed.  There is spending smart money & then there isn't.  Spending money putting a 3rd Party A-V on 10 is not smart money; it's wasteful.  And, because something is advertised as improved that does not justify using it.

Windows Security (it's, actually, not called Windows Defender, anymore) is blo-ody excellent.  AND, the OS natively protects against ransomeware, it does sandboxing, its browser IS very safe & secure.  As for Malwarebytes, just grab the free version & maybe, run it once in while for the fun of it, not likely it will find anything.
And as for performance issues: With Windows Security there are & will be no issues as it plays nicely with the OS & the browser, no conflicts, at all.  It is not a resource hog.  It works well & quietly, without bothering the End User.

There is no forced to buy/renew before expiry because WS is FREE, it just comes with your OS.  

I repeat, one is adequately covered with Windows Security.  Things like McAfee & Norton should be remove or not installed as they are an unnecessary waste of money AND the OS is fine with what is, already, in it for free.  Plus, performance will be better & negative issues will not arise.

Myself, my clients & so many others run with Windows Security & occasional Malwarebytes for years, happy (Read: problem-free) as can be.

OR there are  all the clients who discovered they were happier after some 3rd party A-V was removed from their Windows 10.

"Like most folks, I have become 'conditioned' by a/v firms to HAVE a 'robust' security suite in the PC (pricier the better :)  )"

Yes, but, this ⬆ is an absolute myth:exclamation_mark:  Save your money and use a VERY robust security which is Windows Security.

And, look, already, there's Dan saying the same thing as I.  And the other Techs you mention are right, too. They, saying the same, again, as myself.... except you don't need to fret about Malwarebytes support for their paid version... the free version is fine in addition to Windows Security.  Please, accept, WS, really, does do the job, as well as the security features in Edge.

Fact is you are better off with Windows Security & will save money. Remove McAfee and don't bother buying such stuff including Malwarebytes (use free).  I , also, recommend using the free version of Spyware Blaster.  Free only means keeping it updated manually every week or 2.

Simply put, with Windows 10 using 3rd party A-V is not needed or recommended.

Recommendation:
1. Windows Security
2. Free Spyware Blaster
3. Free Malwarebytes

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Bradcore  @Elliot Kirk I agree the favourites area needs sorting.  In fact the whole user experience seems to be a backwards step and it would be nice to sort those frustrations out to encourage me and other to use it more.  As it is I find I need to keep going back to Edge just to have things work how I expect them to work.  Examples include:

* Favourites bar.  Make it work like previous Edge

* File download.  Default setting should be Ask where to save

* File download.  Some files should just open rather than saving to disk- eg. .ICS files.

Hello @Dan_AI4GK ,

Thanks Dan. I do understand, apart from your feedback on Windows Defender/Security, from various other support forums that MS has made WD/S robust unlike in earlier versions of Windows. But, in most cases folks mention using Malwarebytes alongside WD/S, hence had posted earlier about not having support from M'Bytes in my region. You haven't mentioned if you use a Free version or the paid one. Anyway, shall consider this WD/S+MB option !

Cheers

Ramesh

Hi @Drew1903 

Yes, Drew. Am okay using WD/S with or without M'Bytes, except that I do my online shopping, bill payments, Netbanking, etc. on my home PC, and didn't want to take chances with virus/trojan/malware/ransomware infections, as I am in a remote location with limited resources (incl. tech support from Dell). I agree, it's enticing to buy those all-in-one security suites like XYZ "Total Security" from reputed brands, which seems to give an impression that it's a one-stop-shop for all the security needs for the PC. I do have a few months' subscription to McAfee (pre-installed in PC) so wonder if I should let it lapse n remove it, or uninstall it right away (since you say it's probably not necessary). Need to convince myself that I'll be fine with just the in-built WD/S, as any issue later means I'm on my own (probably reinstall OS afresh !!). Weighing the risks....

Cheers

Ramesh

@Ramesh_Iyer 

Let me put it (to you) thusly... in addition to all the other voices saying the same... here's an IT Pro who does on-line banking, purchasing, et al; who for 20 years has cared about his clients & everyone being protected.  Able to do their activities care-free. We aren't all telling you to take some dumb risk.  We're just giving good, sound advice.

Dump McAfee, now or let it expire, but, don't renew it. You ARE fine with Windows Security, (free) SpywareBlaster & occasional running of (free) Malwarebytes. <-- this will be better (for a few reasons) not, worse.  That's the end of my oration.

You know, what has been suggested, the risk is not from the net.  From there on it is from humans.  Did they have or keep everything up to date? Did they surf bad websites?  Did they open dangerous E-mail?  Take the recommendations, be smart (usage) & you'll be fine.

Oh & it's not that it is "probably" not necessary, it is not necessary. People should be happy the OS handed them an excellent security system for free, not even any need to renew, and all they have to do is plug the machine in, turn it on & Go.  Without some outside A-V shutting it off, it is on by default.

And, remember, I did recommend SpywareBlaster which, is an additional 'moat' around your castle. It runs all the time quietly in the background.  You even have to run it, just update wkly & sometime the version updates.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Drew1903 

Ok Drew. I hear you. Forgot to mention that I also have an old HP Notebook on Win'8.1 on which I share the same McAfee license (it's a multi-device license) as on my Win'10 PC. Going by your view, may still need to buy a 3rd party a/v for my HP Notebook, while my Win'10 PC can run just the WS.

And yes, as you mentioned about usage, I don't surf 'shady' sites, nor access or download freeware etc. Nothing which can lead me to trigger some infection, but I understand that some websites / web pages do get hijacked by hackers and infect a PC simply by visiting such sites. A 3rd party security product usually has a component embedded/installed in the web browser which keeps the user safe even if one accidentally visits infected sites. Some like BitDefender & Kaspersky even offer sandboxing browser to ensure safe online financial transactions. Not sure if WS will do so too. I say this because on occasion have been warned by my A/v when I visit sites which are supposed to be secure, like certain financial services sites I have accounts with. Once some malware sneaked in somehow despite having Norton Internet Security (licensed) and they were not much help. Ended up reinstalling entire OS afresh. Due to these experiences, I prefer to be safe than sorry.

P.S.: Instead of providing a 'free' security tool/service like Windows Security, I wish MS had developed and provided us a robust bug-free OS which didn't need such a tool. MacOS doesn't, nor do popular distros of Linux, like Ubuntu.

@Ramesh_Iyer 

Ramesh,

No, the recommendation applies equally to , in your case, both the PC & the laptop.  The browser, Edge, inherently deals with unsafe sites, not allowing you to freely go to them.  You are not giving Windows 10 & its browser near enough credit! Sandboxing is coming to the OS... you'll see it in 1909.  We, already, have it in our Insider Builds. Norton is not a good reference to use... I went through a long period when the sars virus blew right through Norton, BUT, NOT, Windows own security.  My clients in that situation, part of fix things up for them, was removing Norton.  It does not work to suggest because something get past one A-V it will get past Windows Security.  You will be hard pressed to find anything stronger or more comprehensive than Windows Security.

Oh & btw, the notion that other operating systems are immune to malware & or hackers is a myth.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

But still no mention of "Share this page".
Why is this not included in the development plans?

@Drew1903 

Hi Drew,

Yes, I agree with you. In fact, I believe that no other 3rd party application developer would know Windows OS inside out like MS does (obviously !). Hence, for many years now, I have refrained from installing any 3rd party appln barring the a/v, which either come preinstalled on the PC/laptop I've bought so far, or I buy separately (thanks to all the hype created by these appln developers). Yet, security is one area which people feel strongly about, and many don't trust MS entirely, though Windows Security / Defender in Win'10 seems much more robust than in Win'8.1 or earlier versions. 

Yes, as you stated, in my previous experience some malware infected my laptop though I had a licensed Norton IS which has rave reviews like BD & Kaspersky too. So, seems it's ok if I remove McAfee from my Win'10 PC and let WS/D alone do all the heavy-lifting on security front :)

I will retain McAfee on the laptop for now though, as it's on Win'8.1 and WD on it isn't as robust. Besides, it'll be my fall-back option, should something go wrong with the Win'10 PC !!

As for other non-Windows OSs it's one's opinion and faith over another's. There is indeed a general perception that Linux is inherently more secure than Windows. Nevertheless over 80% of PCs are on Windows, some on MacOS, and much less on Linux (home users).

Cheers,

Ramesh

Hi @Ramesh_Iyer,
I'm using the paid version right now, I think. I *rarely* use it, and I don't think I'm going to renew the paid subscription, though. I know there was a specific reason for buying it, but I don't even remember what that was. I really run it only when I suspect that something might've gotten through WD/S. But, I can't remember the last time I used it. I think it's my "last chance" option. One very useful thing about it is its chameleon mode, so you can theoretically outsmart the malware.

Regards,

Dan